oze Soil Test Results: Fall, 2014

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

oze Soil Test Results: Fall, 2014

Post by oze » November 24th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Here are the results of my soil test from Logan Labs. Also, I think that it's about time that I summarized my ramblings since I joined this board in September.

We moved to this house in July of 2012, during The Drought of the Century. The lawn looked horrible, but then again, so did the lawns of virtually every other home we looked at then. The back yard was horrible, and the front was almost as bad. The first two pictures below
Back Yard: August, 2012

Front Yard: August, 2012

were taken a couple of weeks after we moved in; you can almost feel my giddiness when you look at the picture of the thunderstorm--our first rain at the new house! I had high hopes that the lawn would come back once the rains started, and it was a fairly normal Fall wrt rain. The front partially recovered, the back, almost not at all. I also noticed the mycellium of (pick the fungus) on my lawn, visible in the morning dew. The landscaper called it pythium blight, which it well may have been. In any case, I was left with a dead back yard. If I had been on this site by then, you would have thought that it would have been a perfect nothing-to-lose reno opportunity. But not so fast.

I had a contractor aerate the whole lawn, spread 8 yards of compost, and seed. The irrigation installers chopped up some of it, but they also reseeded and I was not concerned at that time. Meanwhile, the rains started, and it didn't take long to realize that I had a flooding problem. As little as 0.2" of rain resulted in standing water that took days to drain. The landscaper who installed our fire pit pointed out how my yard was bowl-shaped, with the house and back property lines a good 10" higher than the lowest point. We also were not connected to any drainage, but that is another issue. He brougnt in 4 yards of top soil, and at least raised the left side of the lawn, from the point of view of the third picture--I called that my flood plain. He then seeded. Here is what the back looked like two days after a light rain/snow mix:

Back Yard: December, 2012

That helped some, but we still had issues. The next spring (2013), I had the City of Fort Wayne come by. Too bad, so sad, they cannot do anything on private property--that is my problem. One of the inspectors took me aside and said that he could take care of my problem outside of work. We agreed on a price and scope of work. Yard dug up again, drains and tile installed, leading through my kind neighbor's yard, and on to the drainage beehive which then leads to a subdivision pond. This has helped immensely, and most of my standing water problems have been solved. The entire back yard is still mushy after rains/irrigation, but orders of magnitude better than it was. I'll have to deal with the same problem on one side yard, but I cannot afford any more large monetary outlays on the lawn, at least for a while. Oh, as a result of all of these activities, I should now have about 6" of top soil on parts of the Flood Plain, which is sitting on top of an inch of compost.

My lawn is now about 6500 square feet, as paced off by me and corroborated by my daughter. :) I have saved all of the labels from the various contractor seedings, and can post them if that would help. Weeds were horrible last fall on the embattled Flood Plain, so I killed as many as I could, and then applied a pre-emerge/fertilizer last spring; it was a Scotts product, but I didn't write down the specifics in my notes this time. I still ended up with tons of goosegrass, which was tougher to kill than I thought it would be. It took two applications, after which I was left with a brown hay field all summer. I cut the dead stuff down to 1", reseedd, and now have a decent mutt lawn on that side. My crowning achievement.

I normally mulch cut the lawn, and this year have taken to taking neighbors' leaves to mulch in as well. Up until this fall, I have been a Scotts 4-Step guy. Since I have the irrigation system, I do not let my lawn go dormant, and have always adhered to the occasional deep watering idea, although it is tough with running off because of my rather impermeable soil. I have done 3 applications of Best Lawn Soil Conditioner as well as Kelp Help and Humates, also 12 bags in two applications of Encap Lawn and Garden Compost. Dropped the urea earlier this week, once top growth had stopped. (First time ever for that.) Before submitting this soil sample to Logan Labs I performed a soil structure test, as described here:

http://aroundtheyard.com/home1/articles ... ement.html

Although the results showed a very low percentage of clay (although, obviously, the official analysis tells a different story!), it is severely compacted, as indicated by my percolation results--less than 1/4" an hour. . Another interesting point is that, when taking cores for soil analysis, I noticed some gravel (in th"- 3/8" size range) scattered about 3" below the surface, in the front yard only. I found this interesting, since the front yard does drain better than the back.

My goals are pretty modest at this time. I am toying with the idea of a renovation, but if I do, it would have to be the front and one side only, at least until my drainage issues are resolved in the back and other side yard. I would like to have a lawn that turns heads and, more importantly, makes me smile. But even those low-bar goals would be achievable, given the lack of nice lawns in my immediate neighborhood. Eventually, yes, I would like a showplace lawn, front and back. I am open to (OK, wishing for) expert opinions to the contrary, but I think that I should address my soil deficiencies before I undertake a reno. Maybe 2-3 years? I've exceeded the maximum number if images, so I will post the pictures of what the lawn looked like in October in another post.

Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

Dave

oze

Re: oze Soil Test Results: Fall, 2014

Post by oze » November 24th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Current Pictures:

Back Yard: October, 2014

Front Yard: October, 2014

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 24th, 2014, 2:52 pm

Boy, does that soil look familiar nutrient-wise - except you have a lot more clay than I do, and a lot better OM. Good call getting the soil structure test done.

oze

Post by oze » November 24th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Hoosier, I agree that the structure test was a good idea. Thanks for suggesting it! :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oze

Post by oze » November 24th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Sorry to keep bumping my own thread, but I was thinking about the physical structure results. At first, I thought that I must have screwed something up when I did my tests, but I did repeat the test and got what appeared to be the same results.

Then I realized that my test involved entire cores of the first 4" of soil, while the samples I sent to Logan involved only the inch between the depth between 3 and 4". So, would it be reasonable to assume that the soil starts off with a small amount of clay, which then increases with depth? And if so, is this even worse than clay all the way to the top? I'm thinking in terms of a clay barrier down around 3-4". :shock:

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » November 24th, 2014, 4:35 pm

First off, an interesting story. Seems like your biggest issue is drainage! I guess that in some ways I'm blessed to have a very sandy soil -- reduces drainage issues, although it makes it hard for the soil to hold onto nutrients.

The photos of the lawn look awesome compared to where you started when you moved in! Well done.
oze wrote:My goals are pretty modest at this time. ... but I think that I should address my soil deficiencies before I undertake a reno.
I'm no expert, but your soil test results look pretty good. Adequate calcium and magnesium and a good ratio between them. Heavy soil with a TEC of 19. Good OM. The high pH is going to make it hard to make use of iron, but a steady diet of Milorganite will help that.

The good news is that the things that need fixing (Phosphorus and Potassium), aren't too hard to remedy. ST6 will provide official recommendations, but I see Phosphorus and Potassium treatments in your future! I guess the question is whether to address it with a balanced fertilizer or go the "individual treatments" route with Triple Super Phosphate and Sulfate of Potash (SOP)? If Milorganite is your primary "N" source most of the year, you'll also get a fair bit of Phosphorus from that.

Seems to me like good enough soil to support a renovation right away, whenever you think the drainage issues are sufficiently resolved that you're willing to live with the drainage as it is.

oze

Post by oze » November 24th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Thanks, K&N. I am looking forward to the recommendations! I guess the yard looks better than it did in 2012, but that's not saying much!

If I do the reno, it will have to be front and one side only, or front only, because of the hideously poor drainage in the other two areas. My feeling is that it should blend in with what I am leaving in the back and at least one side; I am leaning towards an elite TTPR lawn, but I am getting ahead of myself. If I am proud of anything, it is that, after we got 1.5" of rain today, I can look out over the back yard from my office window, and not see much standing water. . Walking through the yard without boots would not be advisable, though...I am thinking of re-routing the output from the remaining downspout in the back of the house to one of the drains the contractor installed. Maybe go with a rainbarrel/diverter setup for Mrs. oze's garden use

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 26th, 2014, 2:09 pm

Oze,

Good call on the soil structure test - it reveals the challenge you face - CLAY. And plenty of it.

As you've experienced, the bad news is that clay makes a mucky soil when it gets wet that will take a while to absorb water, and will be hard when it dries out thoroughly - causing runoff if it rains in large amounts in a short period of time. The good news is that clay holds lots of water once it's absorbed and holds on to nutrients since it is a small particle creating lots of exchange sites. Ergo, the higher TEC of 19.01 indicating a heavy soil.

Can you "get rid" of clay? Not really - you're going to have to learn to deal with it.

Besides - just look how good of a job you've done dealing with your soil in the pictures you posted. You can have a great lawn with that soil (and it already looks good just with what you've done this year!!) - you just need to learn how she ticks. And, you can definitely support a renovation with it.

A big factor for you is controlling water. The irrigation system is a huge help there. Good job on altering the drainage as much as you were able. :good: Since you have an irrigation system, you don't really "need" mother nature's water - particularly since she will not care how she does it - she'll just drop it however she feels and it will pool up faster than the soil can absorb it. So, I'd continue to divert water away from your soil where possible, and rely on your irrigation system for more controlled watering. You can then dial in your irrigation technique to do slower, longer, irrigation cycles at a pace your soil likes.

Avoiding traffic on rain-saturated, clay soil is also helpful so footprints and tires don't compress the soil, squeezing out the space for water to fill and roots to grow.

You can also add organic matter to help absorb water. Your organic matter (OM) level is actually very good - you're at 4.82 - just shy of ideal, very good levels. This is a lesser priority in my opinion than your nutrients.

In the major cations, you have lots of extra Calcium (Ca) and Magnesium (Mg), but are low on Potassium (K). You're not going to realistically overcome the excess Ca and Mg, nor is it necessary to have a great lawn. But you do need more K.

You're also very low on Phosphorus (P).

The easy way here is to pick up a balanced fertilizer to address K and P. 12-12-12, 10-10-10, etc. If you want to go this way, say so and post the NPK for application rates.

If you want to avoid putting down N in the spring (which I personally avoid), and go with some harder-to-source products that normally contain a little bit better source of K, we can go with Sulfate of Potash (SOP) for K, and Triple Superphosphate (TSP) or Monoammonium Phosphate (MAP) for P - available at Crop Production Service locations or other agricultural stores. If you do some good sourcing, you might be able to get these less expensively than big box store fertilizer.

Just let me know - the balanced fertilizer is a lot easier in terms of time and sourcing.

Since you have a higher pH at 7.7, you are going to want to avoid doing things to push that up.

Iron isn't bad, but your pH is going to make most of that unavailable to your tiny, green babies. Continue applying milorganite as the budget allows. Spray iron will also help with temporary greenups.

So, I think for 6500 square feet - you'll have a very smart, tight plan for soil amendments that is pretty straightforward - you need P, K, and Iron.

Would you like andy to review the micronutrients (boron, copper, manganese, etc)?

oze

Post by oze » November 26th, 2014, 4:43 pm

First of all, thank you very much for your detailed and helpful reply, Hoosier! I will also reply in detail, but I first want to reply in the affirmative that I would very much appreciate Andy to review the micronutrient situation and recommendation for my soil. I want to get my soil to be the best possible, and so don't want to have to kick myself down the road for skipping anything that I could address starting next spring. In that spirit, I will not mention the $5 bet I had with Andy. :razz:

oze

Post by oze » November 26th, 2014, 5:45 pm

Hoosier,

I am with you on not wanting to start off with nitrogen applications in the spring, so I would opt for your suggestion of upping the K and P with SOP and TSP or MAP, respectively. I would like Milo to be my primary source of N throughout the year, until winterization time.

A couple of questions: is there and advantage in choosing either TSP or MAP over the other, in terms of cost, effectiveness, etc.? As I am looking to source these, and I do have plenty of time to do so, can you give me and idea of amounts needed? In other words, should I be looking for 50 pounds each to start with, or less?

Given my high pH, what do you think about lowering it by using, say, pellitized sulfur? I also had alkaline soil at my previous residence in the Chicago suburbs, and the local extension office recommended using sulfur to lower the pH. The understanding was that it had to be done slowly (I think it was 1 lb of sulfur/1000 square feet, twice a year). I recall that I was able to lower the pH from 7.9 to 7.2 over 3 years or so. Within what is reasonable for my soil, I want to go with anything acidifying that I can.

I am hopeful that continuing the use of BL Soil Conditioner and Kelp Help will make my soil more permeable--should I be thinking of many, like bi-weekly, applications of them starting in the Spring? Also, and I know this is drastic, but, especially if I put off any reno activity, would my extreme soil benefit from mechanical aeration combined with compost application?

Lots to ponder, but lots of time and lots of good people to help. I am looking forward to taking on this challenge. This is my third home, and have had purchased neglected lawns each time. I am considering the gauntlet to have been thrown down.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » November 26th, 2014, 6:08 pm

Given my high pH, what do you think about lowering it by using, say, pellitized sulfur?
Pi$$ing in the wind. You have 4,400 lbs/acre of cations. That's almost exactly 100 lbs/K of cations ready to fight you. At 1 lb/K of Elemental Sulfur, you will be good to go approximately when you are dead. Speaking of dead, Sulfur is extremely hard on the microherd, because it has to convert to Sulfuric Acid to affect pH. Nothing like a good bath in Sulfuric Acid after a hard day at work.

In a northern climate, you "may" cause a temporary dip in pH during the warmest months, as the Sulfur converts to Sulfuric Acid. It will bounce up and down with the soil temperatures. Bouncing pH's are tougher on the grass than leaving the pH at the alkaline levels.

oze

Post by oze » November 26th, 2014, 6:28 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Given my high pH, what do you think about lowering it by using, say, pellitized sulfur?
Pi$$ing in the wind. You have 4,400 lbs/acre of cations. That's almost exactly 100 lbs/K of cations ready to fight you. At 1 lb/K of Elemental Sulfur, you will be good to go approximately when you are dead. Speaking of dead, Sulfur is extremely hard on the microherd, because it has to convert to Sulfuric Acid to affect pH. Nothing like a good bath in Sulfuric Acid after a hard day at work.

In a northern climate, you "may" cause a temporary dip in pH during the warmest months, as the Sulfur converts to Sulfuric Acid. It will bounce up and down with the soil temperatures. Bouncing pH's are tougher on the grass than leaving the pH at the alkaline levels.
Excellent (and colorful :D ) advice, thanks, Andy. So pure sulfur is right out. I am assuming that other products, which contain less sulfur (or in different compositions) are A-OK, though, right? For example, once I use up the urea I have on hand for winterizing, maybe using ammonium sulfate would be a good option. I hope that applying SOP to address my potassium deficiencies will also help.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 26th, 2014, 6:57 pm

For the most part, the changes from acidic fertilizers are small and transient. Don't fight Mother Nature - she always wins. You can grow a very nice lawn at pH 7.7, if you learn how to use things like Milorganite well.

oze

Post by oze » November 26th, 2014, 7:03 pm

andy10917 wrote:For the most part, the changes from acidic fertilizers are small and transient. Don't fight Mother Nature - she always wins. You can grow a very nice lawn at pH 7.7, if you learn how to use things like Milorganite well.
Great to hear, Andy; I look forward to working with her, but more importantly, you and the folks here. Cheers! :hello:

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 26th, 2014, 10:46 pm

I don't know what's better ingredient-wise between TSP and MAP. Cost wise, you may be surprised how inexpensively you can get MAP. Plus you get some N there too. Check Crop Production Services - that's where several of us Hoosiers have found it. Check your local extension for urea and SOP too.

For this year's plan, you're going to need 8 lbs / K of SOP, and 8 lbs / K of TSP or MAP (whatever you choose).

late April (when ground has thawed and grass has woken up on its own) - 2 lbs / K SOP, 2 lbs / K MAP or TSP
late May - 2 lbs / K SOP, 2 lbs / K MAP or TSP
late August - 2 lbs / K SOP, 2 lbs / K MAP or TSP
late Sept - 2 lbs / K SOP, 2 lbs / K MAP or TSP

The above plan should work well with an overseed or renovation this fall in our climate. You'll get a couple applications down this spring, and then be able to apply more this fall when it comes in.

Try to wait to drop the SOP on your new grass until it's taken off at around 30 days if you can - particularly with a higher pH soil like ours.

If you undertake the fall urea regimen a lot of us use, you can "roll your own" balanced fertilizer with SOP/MAP or TSP/urea - and use that to do the feedings this fall while it comes in.

Also, check Residex for milorganite. Several of us in the Indy metro area buy from the guy on the Northwest side of Indy if you ever come through and he gives us great deals on 50 lb bags of professional grade milorganite. His normal price for the pro stuff is what you see people get at the door-busting sales of the 36 lb regular stuff.

I went through over half a ton of pro grade milo on my 7500 square foot lawn this year. :D

HoosierLawnGnome

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » November 26th, 2014, 10:54 pm

P.S. High pH? Pfffft. Only thing that kinda sucks about it is the Iron availability. Mine is 7.8.

One other thing - core aeration may be the lesser of two evils for your soil. What's worse? Potentially kicking up a few weeds? Or, having shallow roots? I'll choose deeper roots with more weeds rather than fewer weeds, but weaker grass with shallow roots. Weeds are easy to kill. I do mild core aeration in the high-traffic silty spots of my yard. So, I use my little foot aeration tool or pitch fork in the gate walkways and path to and from the shed to open it up a few times a year.

oze

Post by oze » November 27th, 2014, 12:27 am

Hoosier, thanks again for the excellent advice: MAP and SOP added to the shopping list. As far as Milo, if next year is anything like this one, I will again wear out a path on I-69 between here and there. Between trips to the Carmel Riley Hospital location, and Lucas Oil Field for high school marching band competitions, I should have just rented an apartment there! :o Maybe one trip next year will involve renting a pick-em-up truck and a detour to Residex.

I'm thinking of getting a core aeration done in the fall, hopefully timing it to coincide with the overseed or reno, however that turns out. And just rely on Tenacity to keep much of the weeds in check. But I agree with you and the Pyramid approach; after what I have gone through with the back yard salad bowl the past couple of years, I ain't scared of no weeds. (Who ya gonna call?).

Half a ton of Milo?!? I'm glad you aren't paying some of the unbelievable prices I have seen on the internet!

Thanks again, and happy Thanksgiving!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 29th, 2014, 11:58 am

In the micronutrients, everything is on the high side, except for Boron.

Get a box of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply at two tablespoons per 1000 sq ft in April and again around Labor Day. See the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

oze

Post by oze » November 29th, 2014, 12:06 pm

andy10917 wrote:In the micronutrients, everything is on the high side, except for Boron.

Get a box of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply at two tablespoons per 1000 sq ft in April and again around Labor Day. See the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.
Excellent, thanks, Andy! And it is nice to hear that it is not all bad news about my soil, as I had feared. I'm also glad that Boron is a relatively easy fix.

oze

Post by oze » December 5th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I just received the good news that as of today, my neighborhood has been transitioned from well water (Aqua Indiana) to river water (City of Fort Wayne), meaning lower water bills and water that is naturally softer. According to the mailings we all received, unsoftened well water around here averaged 150 mg/l (8.8 gpg), while unsoftened river water averages 132 mg/l (7.7 gpg). This would explain, I guess, the high levels of Magnesium and calcium in my soil test.

The "average" family is supposed to save about $10/month on its water bill but we are not the "average" family, especially during the summer months ;), so we should fare even better than that. We will also save almost half of the "monthly maintenance fee" for the second water meter connected to the irrigation system. Very happy about this!