Ken2736 soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Ken2736 soil test

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm

Andy might shoot me, but ammonium sulfate (as bpgreen suggests) might-could be a better solution (pardon the pun) anyway. The reaction is more acidic than urea, and it's a lower concentration of nitrogen.
Warranted, against a soil mass with a pH that's 8.4 and, undoubtedly, an enormous amount of calcium and magnesium just sitting there like a big rock, waiting to weather, that's not terribly significant. But even the largest mountain can be weathered away by enough raindrops. Eventually.
If the price per pound of nitrogen were approximately equal (or, if the price of the ammonium sulfate is around half the price per pound of the urea), then I'd choose the ammonium sulfate. Otherwise, simply go with the cheaper one--the reaction, ultimately, on urea is acidic as well as a general rule (OK, there are exceptions), just not as acidic.

ken2736
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass, Rye grass, Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by ken2736 » June 2nd, 2020, 8:12 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
June 2nd, 2020, 3:15 pm
Andy might shoot me, but ammonium sulfate (as bpgreen suggests) might-could be a better solution (pardon the pun) anyway. The reaction is more acidic than urea, and it's a lower concentration of nitrogen.
Warranted, against a soil mass with a pH that's 8.4 and, undoubtedly, an enormous amount of calcium and magnesium just sitting there like a big rock, waiting to weather, that's not terribly significant. But even the largest mountain can be weathered away by enough raindrops. Eventually.
If the price per pound of nitrogen were approximately equal (or, if the price of the ammonium sulfate is around half the price per pound of the urea), then I'd choose the ammonium sulfate. Otherwise, simply go with the cheaper one--the reaction, ultimately, on urea is acidic as well as a general rule (OK, there are exceptions), just not as acidic.
Thanks Morpheus

I will definitely keep an eye out on that as well. The only straight 46% urea I found is only sold, at a minimum, of 2000lbs. So I will definitely be looking around at what available. Thanks again

ken2736
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass, Rye grass, Fescue
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Novice

Post by ken2736 » June 4th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Just to get a baseline of my yard prior to urea apps. Want to keep track on how yard progresses. All I have done is one application of milo and frequent mowing