Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Schreibdave's 2021 Soil Test

Post by schreibdave » June 10th, 2021, 3:29 pm

Here's this year's test. My situation:

4 year old home, so the soil was heavily disturbed during construction. However they did scrape the top soil off to the side and attempt to put it back when the house was complete - I watched.

All KBG lawn - Three sides will be 2 years old in the fall. The back will be one year old in the fall.

Last year I alternated Milo with 10-10-10.

I mow twice a week and irrigate as necessary.

Thanks in advance

schreibdave

Re: Schreibdave's 2021 Soil Test

Post by schreibdave » June 11th, 2021, 6:27 am

Edit: last year I mostly alternated milo with starter fert, not 10-10-10.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 12th, 2021, 10:22 am

There are no other nutrients being used other than what you listed above? I see some soil activity and up/down movement that can't be explained by what you've listed...

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 12th, 2021, 3:06 pm

Hmmm. I've used soil BL soil conditioner with kelp help once or twice. Foliar iron once. Spectator and another fungicide a few times. Other than that... dog urine and poop .... I think I've used a random scotts product once or twice because I wanted to get rid of it.

I think that's it.

The first year or two I was using balanced fertilizers ... dunno what might have been in those.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 13th, 2021, 9:58 pm

OK, then let's go...

Structurally, the soil is nice - it's got a high (but not crazy) TEC and an OM% over 5%. It will hold onto nutrients well.

The questions start with the cations - Calcium and Magnesium are rising - but without a source to supply them. And as they rise, they seem to be displacing Potassium. I'm a bit puzzled.

I'd like to see you back on the 10-10-10 monthly except July 1 -August 15th. You've gone backward on Phosphorus and Potassium and turning that around is important. The bonus is the Nitrogen goes along got the ride (in one application).

Iron is slipping but probably unavailable at your pH anyway,

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc could use a bit of work - is that in the 2021 plan?

I'm very interested in how this plays out in the next year or so - I'd love to know whether it's just a sampling difference or whether the trend(s) continue...

schreibdave

Post by schreibdave » June 14th, 2021, 5:59 am

Hmmm. I have often felt like the balanced fertilizers I was using - either from the hardware store or from Tractor Supply - were sort of a low quality product. Among other things they tend to be less expensive than Milo or a Scotts product. They also seem to leave behind a granular residue that is slow to break down. This looks to me like a carrier of some sort for the N, P and K. I envision the N, P and K dissolving over time and this carrier substance persisting in the soil for a longer period. I wonder if this could be the source of the calcium and magnesium you are seeing.

I will take a picture of the label of one of these products and post it.

I could take a new sample and see what that reveals? After that last sample I put Milo down. Would that skew the results?