Green: 2021 Soil Tests

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Green: 2021 Soil Tests

Post by Green » October 7th, 2021, 9:42 pm

Better late than never!

Link to tests: https://i.postimg.cc/Jn51Ktff/2021-Tests.jpg

Areas tested:

-Front (which includes the side area): ~5.75K, irrigated, mostly South facing. Northern mix. All is going well here. No complaints.

-Low-Input: 5.5K, lower maintenance. Northern mix, with Fine Fescue in many areas. Only irrigated when in immediate danger of dormancy…several times per year. Hardly ever do biofungicide apps on this area. It’s coming along, but the soil could still be improved. I’m surprised that the Calcium number is all of a sudden lower this year. Then again, it’s been a while since a test has indicated the need for Lime.

-LF (~1,000 square feet). This area is tricky. I’ve tested it before as well, but not since 2019. I’m currently doing a KBG reno on it (kinda late; currently in sprout and pout stage; thankful for the warm October). I’m also looking for any soil remediation items that could help improve drainage. This area is prone to ponding (and ice in the Winter). I don’t care that the TEC is low in this area, and I have no desire to add more OM to it…I actually want it as sandy as possible to help the drainage. Problem is, while the TEC is low, the soil is extremely fine…like silt/clay, and that does not help drainage. I’ve been digging some rudimentary drainage, and this is helping, but anything I can do beyond that in regards to soil amendments that might specifically help with drainage and percolation speed? I keep saying I’m going to do a jar test to ascertain the soil structure for certain, but I haven’t gotten around to it. But there is apparently a ton of silt, and it turns to mud easily. I will not be mulching any more leaves into this area; it just seems to make the drainage problem even worse (and creates a dirty mower and pants!). I just want to have decent drainage and decent grass here. Nothing spectacular. No one really sees this area.

Reference link to 2020 test thread (back was tested in 2020 instead of LF area): viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26143&hilit=green+soil+tests

Other comments:

K: Been applying this macro nutrient has been my main focus since last year’s low numbers. The disease tolerance was terrible last Fall and Summer performance a bit lacking; I think the low-ish K played a role in both issues.

Mg: I haven’t been great at keeping up with this one…I did a couple of small apps since last year’s test, with Epsom salt and/or Sul-Po-Mag.

Fe: I haven’t been going crazy with it. A little here and there.

Boron: what the...?! It’s supposedly back down everywhere again. Starting to wonder about sampling reliability (this one’s on me) and testing reliability (on the lab).

Thanks for the help, as usual!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Green: 2021 Soil Tests

Post by andy10917 » October 7th, 2021, 10:55 pm

Make sure to post into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue.

Green

Post by Green » October 8th, 2021, 1:31 am

Link is now posted in the queue.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » March 29th, 2022, 12:56 pm

I have a little time over lunch, so... You're an old hand at this, so we'll hit the high points.

Great, triune zones. Thaaannks.

Calcium is low in Low Input, so I might be inclined to go with a fast-calcium lime there at the full 9 pounds per thousand square feet, once. It's low input, so let's retest next year or the year after. It's not a zone you worry about.

I'm happy with Phosphorus across the board, although LF might-could be a hair higher. If you fed it once with starter, I wouldn't be opposed to that. If you didn't, it's no big deal.

Potassium: Looking pretty good! One, two more apps in Front and in Low Input should do it. LF still has a ways to go, though.

Magnesium: This bothers me less than you might imagine. Eh, if you want, you can add Epsom salt, maybe a pound per thousand at a time, but...Low Input and LF are the only place I'd even bother.

Boron does not stick well, but grasses aren't particularly sensitive to adequate levels. Yes, I can believe this with your OM levels. I have gotten a bit more aggressive about application lately.

The other micros actually look pretty good. Iron doesn't bother me, it's quite decent for your pH and manganese balance.

Recommendations:

April: Apply 9 lbs/k high-calcitic fast lime in Low Input. Apply K in all zones. Apply 1 pound Epsom salt per thousand in Low Input and LF. Use the Micro Guide, and apply 8 tbsp per K of borax to the Front and Low Input.

May: Apply K in all zones. Apply 1 pound Epsom salt per thousand in Low Input and LF.

Memorial Day: (optional) Feed LF with Starter Fertlizer.

August (if possible): Apply K in LF. Use the Micro Guide, and apply 8 tbsp per K of borax to the Front and Low Input.

September: Apply K in LF.

October (if you can): Apply K in LF.

Green

Post by Green » April 6th, 2022, 12:02 am

Morph,

Just seeing this now. Got by me for some reason.

Sounds good, thanks.

Any ideas for the LF standing water issue?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » April 9th, 2022, 12:16 pm

Not as such, no. Non-invasively, you can try some applications of the BLSC (Best Lawn Soil Conditioner) to see if you can break through a heavy soil layer.

Other than that, I don't recommend changing soil contours with some professional assistance. The resultant problems can lead to bigger issues than the ones you solve!