Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Soil Test

Post by micvog » May 7th, 2013, 9:37 pm

I recently found BL/ATY and have been learning a lot from reading other's posts. Unfortunately I sent away for a soil test before finding BL/ATY, so my soil test is from the University of Wisconsin. I also since applied CGM so I am not sure I can re-send it to Logan Labs at this point. I am hoping someone could provide some direction or comment on my plan nonetheless.

BACKGROUND
I have a 1/2 acre lot in central Wisconsin, with about 9K sq. ft. of lawn. The lawn is a local seed mix consisting of 25% Rye, 25% Fescue and 50% Blue. Our house was built in the summer of 2010 and the lawn was seeded in October 2010. In the Spring of 2011 we applied a synthetic fertilizer from the coop that provided our lawn seed. That summer we had lawn rust and hired a local service who did multiple applications of a synthetic fertilizer. I started Scott's 4-Step program in 2012 (completing the first two steps) before it was pointed out to me I was burning my lawn (I am a newbie). I didn't do anything for the remainder of 2012.

The soil is clay and, as you would expect with a builder, minimal topsoil. There is a lot of limestone in the area.

THE SOIL TEST
Last month I sent in a soil sample to UW.

CURRENT PLAN
Immediately after taking the soil sample I started Espoma's 4-step organic lawn food program and applied step 1 (the CGM). I have also purchased a Fiskar Stay Sharp Max Reel mower and will be raising my cutting height to 3.5" and leaving the clippings on the lawn (previously I was using a service with a riding mower). I have not found an effective way of watering my entire lawn and our local water is very expensive, so I am relying on Mother Nature for that.

The lawn is green (though not as green as my neighbors, all of whom built before I did) and has a few thin spots. I am willing to put some work into it and would like to stay with natural/organic products (I have three young children).

Thanks for any input!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » May 7th, 2013, 9:45 pm

Welcome, Micvog -- glad you found us!!

I'll get to my point right away -- that is the prettiest soil test format. It is also the most useless soil test results I can remember. CGM will not affect anything that we're paying attention to. All that means we'd recommend a repeat to Logan if you'd like interpretation assistance.

micvog

Post by micvog » May 7th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Thanks Andy.

Since the CGM won't affect anything, I will send a soil sample to Logan Labs this weekend and post the results in this thread when I receive them.

HanLawn
Grass Type: COCHISE IV,FALCON V,FAITH TTTF + KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by HanLawn » May 7th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Hoe do you like your Fiskars? This is my 3rd season using the same mower,and I really enjoy cutting the lawn with it.

micvog

Post by micvog » May 8th, 2013, 4:37 am

HanLawn -

UPS is scheduled to deliver it today and I plan on using it for the fist time Saturday morning. I will post my thoughts in the Equipment forum and let you know! I had seen a thread with your comments on it which is one of the reasons I ordered it.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image