Collecting soil samples

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
greenbum
Grass Type: Bewitched Monostand
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Collecting soil samples

Post by greenbum » August 3rd, 2014, 12:35 pm

Hi guys. So I was in the backyard today collecting samples. I had some questions:

1) I used a coarse sieve to remove the debris and stones. Is this ok?
2) I could only get a max of 4" deep. Most samples are probably around 3". Is this going to mess with my results.
3) Is there a cheap tool I can buy to get samples. I checked Amazon for soil sampler probes and they are too pricey for the amount of times I'll probably use it. Any cheaper DIY solutions?

Thanks all.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Collecting soil samples

Post by andy10917 » August 3rd, 2014, 12:48 pm

A $5 bulb planter is all you need.

Did you read the thread at the top of the Soil Forum for posting a Soil Test for Interpretation?

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 4th, 2014, 10:02 am

andy10917 wrote:A $5 bulb planter is all you need.

Did you read the thread at the top of the Soil Forum for posting a Soil Test for Interpretation?
Yes I read it but I didnt see anything mentioned about using a sieve or a cheap DIY tool. But the bulb planter is a good idea, thank. Something like this?

BoatDrinksQ5
Grass Type: 9k of KBG (2013 sod) Blue-tastic, Corsair, BlackJack, Empire

Post by BoatDrinksQ5 » August 4th, 2014, 10:32 am

Some planters have a squeeze handle that allows the shape of the planter to change from a cylinder (easy to insert) and then it changes to more of a cone to pull out the sample.

I imagine that would make it easier to get samples in/out.

I also see a lot of people just using a small spade to remove a slice of dirt... likely free for the tool (already have it)

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 4th, 2014, 10:34 am

greenbum wrote:
andy10917 wrote:A $5 bulb planter is all you need.

Yes I read it but I didnt see anything mentioned about using a sieve or a cheap DIY tool. But the bulb planter is a good idea, thank. Something like this?

That's all you need. Insert until the top is flush to the top of the cone, then knock the area between 3-4" into your sample bag. Repeat.

ericgautier
Grass Type: Front/Sides: Blueberry Monostand Back: TTTF+KBG

Post by ericgautier » August 4th, 2014, 1:29 pm

Bulb planter is what I used with good success.

greenbum

Post by greenbum » August 4th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Great thanks guys.

tlinden
Grass Type: Bewitched, Blue Velvet, Prosperity

Post by tlinden » August 4th, 2014, 8:36 pm

Yep that's what I used. Then you can stick the plug back in. It's missing an inch but better than a hole lol.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 13th, 2014, 8:04 pm

After seeing that a $5.00 bulb planter seems to be the tool of choice for most soil samplers, I was inwardly embarrassed to have spent $19.50 on a soil sampler earlier this summer before I found the BL/ATY forums.

However, last week, when taking soil samples last week to send off to Logan Labs, I found that the soil sampler I purchased made it a real snap to get samples from a 3 to 4 inch depth, so I figured I'd share the info here with anybody else considering ordering a soil sampler.

The neat thing about this soil sampler (that I didn't realize was a feature when I ordered it, so I just lucked into this) is that the lowest inch of the sampler completely surrounds the soil core. So, when one inserts the sampler 4" into the ground and then pulls the sampler back out again, the soil that was at a depth of 0 inches to 3 inches can be easily removed from the tool out the side of the sampler. The deepest inch of extracted soil stays in the sampler but can be easily pushed out with a screwdriver and into one's sample-compilation container. This makes it real easy to get a regular 1-inch long core taken from a 3 to 4 inch depth for each soil sample. (I used a sharpie to mark the 4" depth on the soil sampler.)

It took me about 30 cores to get 1 cup of soil to send in for the sample, since each core is only a half inch in diameter. However, it didn't take long to get those 30 cores, and collecting so many cores will help give a good average sample for the area being sampled.

PS: If you decide to order the above sampler from Forestry Suppliers, Inc., I found that a google search turned up a "free shipping" coupon code, so the cost was only $19.50 with free shipping.

wopr
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by wopr » August 15th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Neat tool.

Taking just samples from 3 - 4 inches in depth and not including the top three inches, would the results be completely off if the upper layer of soil is much better quality than anything deeper?

Sent from my iOS device using the Yard Help App

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » August 15th, 2014, 1:36 pm

The 3"-4" zone is the middle of the grass root zone. This isn't a beauty contest to have the highest score - it is a measurement of what is there. If you sample in the top/upper part of the root zone, the results will bounce all over the place with whatever has been recently added - no good. As you add nutrients and OM, you want to see the effects arriving in the middle.

Lawngone
Grass Type: Super Elite sod quality KBG equal amounts of NuGlade, NuDestiny, Everest, and Everglade. Overseeded Aug 6, 2014

Post by Lawngone » August 15th, 2014, 2:00 pm

These work just fine, if you have one laying around.

tlinden

Post by tlinden » August 15th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Lawngone wrote:These work just fine, if you have one laying around.
But fancy tools are more fun =P

Lawngone
Grass Type: Super Elite sod quality KBG equal amounts of NuGlade, NuDestiny, Everest, and Everglade. Overseeded Aug 6, 2014

Post by Lawngone » August 15th, 2014, 6:42 pm

tlinden, most def.

tlinden

Post by tlinden » March 21st, 2015, 12:29 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:After seeing that a $5.00 bulb planter seems to be the tool of choice for most soil samplers, I was inwardly embarrassed to have spent $19.50 on a soil sampler earlier this summer before I found the BL/ATY forums.

However, last week, when taking soil samples last week to send off to Logan Labs, I found that the soil sampler I purchased made it a real snap to get samples from a 3 to 4 inch depth, so I figured I'd share the info here with anybody else considering ordering a soil sampler.

The neat thing about this soil sampler (that I didn't realize was a feature when I ordered it, so I just lucked into this) is that the lowest inch of the sampler completely surrounds the soil core. So, when one inserts the sampler 4" into the ground and then pulls the sampler back out again, the soil that was at a depth of 0 inches to 3 inches can be easily removed from the tool out the side of the sampler. The deepest inch of extracted soil stays in the sampler but can be easily pushed out with a screwdriver and into one's sample-compilation container. This makes it real easy to get a regular 1-inch long core taken from a 3 to 4 inch depth for each soil sample. (I used a sharpie to mark the 4" depth on the soil sampler.)

It took me about 30 cores to get 1 cup of soil to send in for the sample, since each core is only a half inch in diameter. However, it didn't take long to get those 30 cores, and collecting so many cores will help give a good average sample for the area being sampled.

PS: If you decide to order the above sampler from Forestry Suppliers, Inc., I found that a google search turned up a "free shipping" coupon code, so the cost was only $19.50 with free shipping.
I broke down and bought one of these.. Very easy to use! In hindsight I should have sent in a soil test the other day when I got it.. but now its snowing again!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » March 24th, 2015, 6:39 pm

tlinden wrote:I broke down and bought one of these.. Very easy to use! In hindsight I should have sent in a soil test the other day when I got it.. but now its snowing again!!
Glad to hear that the tool worked out for you, too!

I'm still going to have to wait a couple of weeks for the ground to thaw before collecting any soil samples -- my lawn is still buried under about 18-24 inches of snow! This morning it was 14F outside when I got up...

mrmeaner
Grass Type: Celebration Bermuda

Post by mrmeaner » March 25th, 2015, 3:31 pm

tlinden wrote:
ken-n-nancy wrote:After seeing that a $5.00 bulb planter seems to be the tool of choice for most soil samplers, I was inwardly embarrassed to have spent $19.50 on a soil sampler earlier this summer before I found the BL/ATY forums.

I broke down and bought one of these.. Very easy to use! In hindsight I should have sent in a soil test the other day when I got it.. but now its snowing again!!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
I got the same one myself - works great

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » March 25th, 2015, 6:42 pm

I have the same one. I nearly folded it in half trying to take a sample of my soil last year.

dfw_pilot
Grass Type: U3 Bermuda

Pro Plugger

Post by dfw_pilot » March 25th, 2015, 6:52 pm

I use and love the ProPlugger, discussed here, and sold here. Overkill? Maybe, but who cares?

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » March 25th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Yea I saw that last year. I now realize why it demands its price. I'm still not sure I could even get that in.