Neighbor's gift

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
virginiagal

Neighbor's gift

Post by virginiagal » April 21st, 2016, 6:29 am

I have a neighbor that I go walking with. A week ago I had made a big pot of soup and I thought “what will I do with all this soup” and I took her a quart of soup. I should have known I couldn't have gotten away with it. I take her lettuce when I have lots of lettuce, which should be a perfectly ordinary thing to do, and she really likes the lettuce and then she will show up a couple days later with a gift for me. I have told her and told her “please NO gifts.” But it does no good and what do you do when she shows up at the door with gift in hand? I can't hurt her feelings. But I don't want the stuff. And I don't want her going shopping just because I happened to give her something from the garden. Anyway this time it was hand lotion (I don't use hand lotion) and shower gel (I prefer soap) and now I have to either put it in the trash or figure out a way to give it away. There is no room in the linen closet, which is already filled with stuff I’m never going to use. Then I found something else in the bottom of the bag and I said, “Ah, at least I can use that”: a bag of lavender Epsom salts.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

oze
Grass Type: Northern mix transitioning to Regenerating Perennial Ryegrass
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Neighbor's gift

Post by oze » April 21st, 2016, 8:14 am

VA Gal,
This is just the opinion of an old codger, so take it for what it's worth. I've been in your position a few times during my stay here, and this is what I have arrived at. Sometimes, just the acceptance of a gift of dubious value to you is a gift itself. Your neighbor is grateful for your gifts, and wants to return the sentiment. I would accept them with a thank you and a smile, squirrel them away, and when I have accumulated enough, find a shelter for battered women which accepts toiletries and such.

Back to normal curmudgeon mode.

...as long as she stays offa my damn lawn!

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by mtlcafan79 » April 21st, 2016, 9:31 am

I'm willing to bet that shower gel has SLS in it!

virginiagal

Post by virginiagal » April 21st, 2016, 10:04 am

oze wrote:VA Gal,
This is just the opinion of an old codger, so take it for what it's worth. I've been in your position a few times during my stay here, and this is what I have arrived at. Sometimes, just the acceptance of a gift of dubious value to you is a gift itself. Your neighbor is grateful for your gifts, and wants to return the sentiment. I would accept them with a thank you and a smile, squirrel them away, and when I have accumulated enough, find a shelter for battered women which accepts toiletries and such.

Back to normal curmudgeon mode.

...as long as she stays offa my damn lawn!
Good suggestion. I do smile and say thank you. I hadn't thought of shelters. Goodwill doesn't want this kind of stuff but a shelter would.

[ Post made via Android ] Image