Kbgfarmer's Soil Test Results-2016

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Kbgfarmer's Soil Test Results-2016

Post by kbgfarmer » August 23rd, 2016, 12:06 pm

Here are the results of my soil tests taken from my backyard from Logan Labs August 2016. A little background. My house was built and the lawn was seeded with I believe was a cheap contractor's mix in July 2013 in Madison, WI. It is approximately 4000 sq feet. Being a new homeowner I initially had a local lawn care company take care of all the mowing and fertilization. They did the typical 4 step program with preemergent and core aerated every spring up until this year when I took over all the duties myself. They mowed every two weeks on their schedule and not when it needed it. I think the core aeration was the worst mistake that I ever did to my lawn looking back. At the time I was perplexed why I had so many clumps of quack grass all throughout my lawn. Now I am convinced that whatever top soil that was used during initial seeding must have been full of buried quack grass seed and the core aeration brought it up to surface. Last summer I had my lawn care company kill a majority of my back lawn with glyphosate and then they reseeded with top quality seed from LaCrosse seed called "wear and tear". They core-aerated and then seeded. Here is a link to the description http://www.lacrosseseed.com/wear-n-tear/. It contains 50% elite KBG (3 varieties), 40% elite turf-type perennial ryegrass (2 varieties) and 10% elite creeping red fescue. Looking back I wish I would have went with a elite KBG mono stand. Needless to say the quack grass returned probably from a combination of core aeration and dormant lateral buds coming back since they only used roundup once. This year I applied lesco starter on April 1st and dithiopyr around May 13. Total nitrogen this year has been 3lbs/M using combination of lesco 25-0-6 5Fe, ringers lawn restore II, and an app of milorganite. I am planning on going with the aggressive fall nitrogen regimen by Andy this fall. I initially had my soil tested using my local extension. Results are much conflicting to this test. I did sample incorrectly I believe at 2 inches instead of 4. ph was listed at 7.7 which is much different than 6.8 from logan (sampled at 15 plus locations). Why the difference I'm not sure. I am looking for the best high maintenance lawn I can achieve. Something like the pictures of the show lawns on the homepage of this site. I currently mow as needed which is usually every 3 to 5 days using a mulching mower and I never bag clippings. I have an irrigation system which has three zones in the back. I have traditional rain and sprinkler gauges as well as an electronic rain gauge. I have been irrigating to achieve 1 inch of water a week combining both information from natural rainfall and adding supplemental irrigation as needed. I was convinced I had clay soil so was irrigating 2 times a week if needed spaced out for 2 days between irrigations and cycling my zones to avoid the inability of clay soil to absorb much at a time. I haven't noticed any disease in the lawn. I spot spray weeds with lesco 3 way and have attempted certainty on quack areas with some success. Planning on hitting annual grassy weeds(not many present) with tenacity. I haven't seen any crabgrass this year. I would like professional help in coming up with a plan for my lawn in terms of fertilization and micronutrients. Would this soil be considered a silt loam? Like I said I want a show lawn with the northern mix I currently have. I'm borderline obsessed at this point as my wife will attest. Not concerned about doing the work as I love it. Thank you to the bl/aty crew in advance for their valuable input.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Kbgfarmer's Soil Test Results-2016

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2016, 10:06 am

While the high-level stuff looks fine (like pH), there is a BIG Potassium shortage and Phosphorus needs serious work too. That's all in the hopper for 2017.

Being in Wisconsin, I'm surprised that Milorganite isn't a bigger part of your regimen.

For the remainder of the season, just stick with the Nitrogen plan, and ping me to this in March.

KGBFarmer 2016 Soil Test Interpretation

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » September 24th, 2016, 10:33 am

Thank you Andy! I'm new to forums so how to ping someone? Already stocked up on some SOP and triple superphosphate for next year when I saw the low k and p. Once again thank you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2016, 10:44 am

I'm new to forums so how to ping someone?
To the right of the postings is a "PM button" that will send a Private Mail to an individual, and a Link to the person receiving the PM. That triggers me to know that I asked you to get back to me on that thread.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » February 14th, 2017, 8:53 pm

andy10917 wrote:While the high-level stuff looks fine (like pH), there is a BIG Potassium shortage and Phosphorus needs serious work too. That's all in the hopper for 2017.

Being in Wisconsin, I'm surprised that Milorganite isn't a bigger part of your regimen.

For the remainder of the season, just stick with the Nitrogen plan, and ping me to this in March.

KGBFarmer 2016 Soil Test Interpretation
I'm blaming that darn thief with initials Mg for stealing all my potassium. Mg and I don't get along.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 14th, 2017, 9:34 pm

You're not pinging me to the March stuff yet, are you?

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » February 15th, 2017, 10:59 am

andy10917 wrote:
February 14th, 2017, 9:34 pm
You're not pinging me to the March stuff yet, are you?
Sorry. Know you guys get busy in fall and spring time.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 2nd, 2017, 6:53 pm

Noticed my manganese level was high which you called a "manganese mine". I did some research and found that my house is fed by two different wells for summer and winter. The water from the summer well which operates starting April 15 has intermediate to high levels of manganese in it while the winter well has only trace amounts. Seeing as I irrigate my lawn (much more in the past as I didn't know about the inch a week thing) it makes sense why my soil is full of it!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 8th, 2017, 10:04 pm

That's a pretty heavy (but not crazy) soil with so-so OM numbers, at the top of the pH sweet spot. I'm not going to mess with the Ca:Mg ratio because it would drive out of the sweet-spot. We live with it and supply some Potassium.

Since the Phosphorus is also low, it's a recipe for balanced fertilizers until we get one of them where we want it. Pick a balanced fertilizer unless you want to go with SOP and TSP. Let me know.

The Iron is good, and at your pH available too!! Yeah!

Stay on any track that delivers a lot of OM, and keep it coming -- OM really matters.

In the micronutrients, Boron is the only one we need. Want to deal with it?

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 8th, 2017, 10:10 pm

Thanks again! I have SOP and TSP in my basement ready to roll. I would love to deal with the boron as well.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 8th, 2017, 10:23 pm

OK. 2 lbs/K of both the SOP and TSP, monthly. Remember to do an N source, too! Stop the SOP in September.

For the Boron, 3 tablespoons of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap per 1000 sq ft, every 60 days.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 10th, 2017, 6:15 pm

Is it feasible to do the SOP and TSP at 2lbs.k every two weeks instead of monthly to attempt to correct the K and P deficiencies quicker or are their undesirable consequences to do so?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 10th, 2017, 7:38 pm

Too much, too fast upsets the soil chemistry, and can "shock" the soil. Plants evolved in a world where sudden changes don't happen. The stress of sudden changes causes a raised risk of disease, especially fungal disease.

As every long-term member know, my statement is that lawncare is a patient person's game - it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Start

Current

Time between pictures: 27 years

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 10th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Thanks for sharing those pictures. You've done an amazing job over the years! If I stay at this home for as long as that I would be blessed to one day have a lawn like that!

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 13th, 2017, 12:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 8th, 2017, 10:23 pm
OK. 2 lbs/K of both the SOP and TSP, monthly. Remember to do an N source, too! Stop the SOP in September.

For the Boron, 3 tablespoons of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap per 1000 sq ft, every 60 days.
I know nitrogen sources are left up to the homeowners but if you were to pick a source would you go with 21-0-0 Ammonium sulfate , 46-0-0 urea, or something else (I have some less 25-0-6 50% PCSCU 6FE slow release sitting around as well). Milorganite will also be dropped for the boron at bag rate every 60 days. I can get ammonium sulfate and urea very very cheap from a nearby farmers coop. The coops website says the 21-0-0 is slow release which I am assuming is a mistake unless its coated somehow. Haven't had a chance to stop in and ask them but will today or tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong but ammonium sulfate is slightly more acidifying than urea and less likely to volatilize and provides sulfur to the lawn which seems like would be good for my soil.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2017, 1:04 pm

All things equal, I prefer the Urea and prefer to spread it twice as often at half the rate - this avoids errors and makes it behave more evenly over time.

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 29th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Any role for gypsum given soil test results showing 26 percent magnesium? My soil is very hard, tight, sticky when wet, and drains poorly despite using soil conditioners. Will additional Ca mess with ph although I thought gypsum really had negligent effects on ph.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 29th, 2017, 11:08 pm

Not now -- I'm FAR more concerned with the Potassium situation. It is extremely low and I want to build it up before I start telling you to add things like Calcium that can displace Potassium. See the base saturations for Potassium and Sodium? All hell can break lose if Sodium has a higher BS than Potassium. Let's not go there - there will be time to fix ratios in the future...

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » March 29th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Ok so sounds like get Potassium and phosphorus fixed and deal with Mg at a later date! Marathon not sprint!

kbgfarmer

Post by kbgfarmer » April 30th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Question about nitrogen. I saw in Freddyfs soil post you asking whether he wanted a nice lawn or if he wanted to make a statement. I want to make a statement. I have irrigation and plan on irrigating throughout summer. I haven't applied any nitrogen yet. Was planning on starting with nitrogen in mid to late may. If I wanted to make a statement on my kbg/pr lawn how much nitrogen could I get away with until aggressive fall regimen time to have that statement lawn? I have urea, ammonium sulfate, and professional grade 6-2-0 milo sitting in my basement. Thanks for the help.