Very, very, very slow soil infiltration

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
chrismar
Grass Type: Front: KBG / Back: TTTF
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

Re: Very, very, very slow soil infiltration

Post by chrismar » October 22nd, 2016, 7:27 am

Kmartel wrote:What is the grade of the area?? Is is possible to install a drainage pipe under the tree and trench it to daylight?? You do not want to plant that tree in the current situation as it is sure to struggle.
The grade is pretty flat. Putting in a drainage pipe that deep would only mean it could daylight somewhere deeper if I want gravity to help.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 22nd, 2016, 7:29 am

One of the "certified tree experts" and professors responded:

"Nice thorough homework there. I would suggest pulling the soil out of the hole surrounding the tree and below it a good 12" or more. Then I would add some sand and mix the soil 50/50 or 60/40 and replace to get the right depth. Another thing to be careful of is not planting too deep. Hope this helps."

This seems to be along the same train of thought as some of you here, but I can't see that solving my problem. On the other side of the sand/soil buffer is still my clayey, shaley soil.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 22nd, 2016, 9:01 am

Yeah, that answer seems to ignore the original findings that there isn't an outlet.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 22nd, 2016, 9:33 pm

Got a couple more responses...

From an arborist (excuse the run-on paragraph):
I appreciate your asking me for advice on the drainage problem. Judging by the photographs you sent me and given the current drought, there's no doubt that a soil drainage (percolation) problem. If the soil drained well, the water should have completely drained within less than an hour. The river birch you removed is known for its tolerance for poorly-drained soil. However, most species of maple require moist but well-drained soil to do well; the spot you've described is likely to be unsuitable. But as you have already purchased the tree, I can recommend two options. First, plant it wherever you may have higher ground on the property if it's possible. Second, you can try planting the Japanese maple where the river birch stood, but at a significantly higher planting level, that is, by 14 inches or more. Assuming the maple is fairly small (1 to 1-1/2 inches base caliper), I would plant the tree on a broad mound of compost-enriched topsoil of about one yard(imagine a pitcher's mound) . Proper planting of a tree or shrub is crucial to its health: when you plant the tree, be sure to remove the wire cage if it has one, and remove all of the burlap. If it's grown in a container, lay the container on its side, slit the plastic container lenghthwise in two or three places, and then gently pull or roll the root ball out holding the bottom of the stem. You will see a dense wall of roots once it is out of the container. Cut slits in the sides of the root ball vertically, about one-half inch deep and one to two inches apart; doing this helps prevent the development of circling roots which may choke the tree in the future. Don't worry about the ball cracking or falling apart (maples have fibrous roots, so their planting balls are usually solid). Once the tree is prepared and in the planting hole, be certain of the next two things:the base of the trunk should be slightly above ground level, and all roots should extend more or less radially from the trunk base. Any roots that cross the trunk instead of radiating outwards should be cut off, as they will later expand to girdle the trunk. If you don't see a trunk flare at all, it's probably buried below the soil level of the container or root ball. Given the fibrous structure of maple root systems, the roots will frequently grow into the soil above the root flare if it's planted too deep. These roots must be pulled away with your hands or gently cut away with a knife until the root flare is exposed. Next, backfill the hole with soil half-way, fill it with water, let it soak away, backfill again to the level of the root flare, and form a shallow saucer-shaped depression around the root flare of about two feet in diameter to hold irrigation water. Fill this two or three times and then let it drain. I would cover the soil mound with 2-3 inches of mulch (no deeper) ; but be sure to keep the area immediately around the root flare free of mulch.

Planted in this way, the Japanese maple in question stands a good chance of doing well, as it has a well drained area of soil to grow in and enough moisture to sustain it from beneath.

I hope this information will be helpful; by all means contact me if you have any additional questions."
From another arborist:
I read your email and examined your pictures thoroughly regarding the planting hole for your Japanese maple tree.

Unfortunately, I do not give expert advice or arboricultural advice for free. I own a tree service business, and an arboricultural consulting practice.

I receive phone calls on a daily basis for both. Especially from prospective clients seeking expert advice for their trees. I have set fees or rates for both my tree service business and arboricultural consulting practice.

This is how I earn or make a living.

My fee for general arboricultural consulting or expert advice is $125.00 per hour.

If you are interested, then simply reply to this email and we will move forward.
If you are not interested, then simply do not reply to this email and I wish you luck with your inquiries.
After reading these responses and doing a bunch of other googling on planting trees in poorly draining soil the prevailing thought is to get a 6 to 10 foot 1" to 2" (depending on how it looks when I see it in person) conduit or metal fence post and pound it into the hole at all different directions (down, sideways, in between), pull it out and fill the left behind voids with a mixture of pea gravel and sand. The thought is to give the water a place to go. I'm hoping that 6 or 10' down there will be better draining soil (as someone had mentioned). If not, at least there will be a few square feet of surface area for the water to drain to so it isn't sitting in and around the roots. I feel like doing this, plus raising the rootball so the top of it is out of the hole 4 or 6" tips the trees odds of survival in it's (my) favor.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LoneRanger » October 23rd, 2016, 12:01 am

Have the utilities marked before you start. Depending on your soil type, either conduit or black pipe will work, if sharpened of course.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 23rd, 2016, 2:54 am

Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like my advice on both counts (penetrate the impermeable layer and plant high). As I first recommended, do see if you have an impermeable layer than can be broken through. Although the auger method I suggested would be much easier and result in larger holes, it can't hurt to try pounding a chainlink fence post in there (don't waste your time with anything under 2"). But if you have access to a post hole digger, get as deep as you can with that first. That may even be enough to get the job done as you can get about 4 ft down with those. But don't just pound holes and fill them with gravel without investigating the layers of soil that you're removing and repeating the percolation test. Unless you penetrate the impermeable layer, adding gravel isn't going to help.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with elevating the planting level by forming a broad mound, just as the helpful arborist above also recommended. It's a Japanese maple; make the mound a landscape feature. The soil temperature of the mound in the winter will differ negligibly from the original grade, and there won't be any increased risk to the roots. I heel in dozens of potted perennials, shrubs, and trees outside over the winter every year, just as the nurseries do, and it doesn't take much to insulate the roots as long as there is ground contact. I have also mounded (or regraded) when I've felt that water-logged soil may be a seasonal issue.

I'm no arborist, but I'm a tree fanatic, and my horticulturalist brother works at an arboretum (in NC). That's also one of the reasons why I always have more plants than I know what to do with come each winter.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 23rd, 2016, 9:32 am

LoneRanger wrote:Have the utilities marked before you start. Depending on your soil type, either conduit or black pipe will work, if sharpened of course.
Very good point. I had some fence work done not too long ago and the utility markers were still present. Wouldn't you know it that I appear to have an electrical line and gas line running right under the hole. Fudge. That's Murphy for you.
TimmyG wrote:Hmmm...sounds an awful lot like my advice on both counts (penetrate the impermeable layer and plant high).
It does, doesn't it? When drink thinking usernames don't come to mind, but I knew it sounded familiar. Thank you!
TimmyG wrote:As I first recommended, do see if you have an impermeable layer than can be broken through. Although the auger method I suggested would be much easier and result in larger holes, it can't hurt to try pounding a chainlink fence post in there (don't waste your time with anything under 2"). But if you have access to a post hole digger, get as deep as you can with that first. That may even be enough to get the job done as you can get about 4 ft down with those. But don't just pound holes and fill them with gravel without investigating the layers of soil that you're removing and repeating the percolation test. Unless you penetrate the impermeable layer, adding gravel isn't going to help.
I wish I could do the post hole method, but given gas and electrical lines, it's probably not a wise idea. Also, with all the rocks and shale, it's a real bear. It took me 3 or so hours to dig a 2 foot deep hole for my mailbox with a post hole digger. I was hoping a brut force pounding, with something like this, might make the task a little easier.
TimmyG wrote:There's absolutely nothing wrong with elevating the planting level by forming a broad mound, just as the helpful arborist above also recommended. It's a Japanese maple; make the mound a landscape feature. The soil temperature of the mound in the winter will differ negligibly from the original grade, and there won't be any increased risk to the roots. I heel in dozens of potted perennials, shrubs, and trees outside over the winter every year, just as the nurseries do, and it doesn't take much to insulate the roots as long as there is ground contact. I have also mounded (or regraded) when I've felt that water-logged soil may be a seasonal issue.
I will do this as much as I can. There are several established plants in the vicinity, so I can't get too crazy.

While doing some bed thinking last night and this morning, it occurred to me that a 15" rain event is pretty unlikely, so even raising it a little should not only keep the roots out of water most of the time, but it should also help sheet the water off in other directions. Is my thinking totally off base here?

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 23rd, 2016, 6:36 pm

chrismar wrote:I wish I could do the post hole method, but given gas and electrical lines, it's probably not a wise idea. Also, with all the rocks and shale, it's a real bear. It took me 3 or so hours to dig a 2 foot deep hole for my mailbox with a post hole digger. I was hoping a brut force pounding, with something like this, might make the task a little easier.
:blackeye: Whoa. How would brut force pounding of a metal pipe into the ground be any less risky than using a (manual) post hole digger? Either way, you should know where your utility lines are. And legally, logically, and preferably, you should probably call DigSafe or your local equivalent to mark those out if you don't know. Never plant a tree atop any of those utility lines, let alone blindly dig.
chrismar wrote:While doing some bed thinking last night and this morning, it occurred to me that a 15" rain event is pretty unlikely, so even raising it a little should not only keep the roots out of water most of the time, but it should also help sheet the water off in other directions. Is my thinking totally off base here?
Yes, totally off base. It doesn't take 15" of rain to saturate 15" of soil. Water in the soil doesn't work that way. If you truly have an impermeable layer down there, far less rain than that could leave the tree's feet in water-logged soil for an extended period of time. Japanese maples won't put up with that for long.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 23rd, 2016, 7:09 pm

TimmyG wrote: :blackeye: Whoa. How would brut force pounding of a metal pipe into the ground be any less risky than using a (manual) post hole digger? Either way, you should know where your utility lines are. And legally, logically, and preferably, you should probably call DigSafe or your local equivalent to mark those out if you don't know. Never plant a tree atop any of those utility lines, let alone blindly dig.
Definitely not less risky. I should have clarified. The markers were still present from the fence work I had done the week before last, so I know there are electric and gas lines that run either directly under the hole, or very close to it.
Yes, totally off base. It doesn't take 15" of rain to saturate 15" of soil. Water in the soil doesn't work that way. If you truly have an impermeable layer down there, far less rain than that could leave the tree's feet in water-logged soil for an extended period of time. Japanese maples won't put up with that for long.
Well that's a bummer. I guess I'm back to square one, then. Fudge. Again.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 24th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Doing some more reading today and I came across this. The "drainage chimney" seems to be the name for your idea TimmyG. It seems that if I put it under the canopy it will still work, which I think will also give me enough clearance to steer clear of the utility lines.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 24th, 2016, 2:08 pm

Tada. Just make sure that your "drainage chimney" (preferably more than one) drains from the lowest point in your excavated hole.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 25th, 2016, 2:07 pm

I dug my first chimney today. I started with the traditional post hole digger and got about 2.5' down. At that point I couldn't spread the handles far enough while in the hole to get any additional dirt out so I pounded in a metal fence post (that I hammered closed so it was pointyish on one end) another 2 feet. Total depth of the chimney is about 4.5'. I then filled the whole thing with a sand/gravel mixture. I filled the larger hole again with ~5" of water (measurement taken in the middle, since it's graded towards the chimney zone). It drained 2" in about 30. We'll see how it looks this evening when I get home.

Some pics:

Depending on what it looks like this evening, I'll either do another combo chimney or two fence post chimneys tomorrow morning.

::fingers crossed::

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 26th, 2016, 11:41 am

Well, the bad news is it only drained about 3 inches total in 24 hours. The (sorta) good news is it drained 3 inches! So I went out this morning and dug another 3 chimneys, 1 "combo" chimney with a 2 foot 4" hole and a 2 foot 2" hole under it and two 3 foot 2" chimneys. If I did my math correctly that equates to about 5 gallons of volume they can hold collectively (if they didn't have gravel in them, of course). I'm not doing a water test today as we're slated to get a nice dose of rain tomorrow. I want to see how it handles a natural event.

So I guess now the question is, what should I use to backfill? Do I use the native soil, or amended soil? My gut is telling me slightly amended, but mostly native.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 26th, 2016, 12:13 pm

At my last place, when we put in the fence, we had post holes dug 36" deep and they retained water. Not quite as bad as yours, but I recall them never completely draining over the course of a week. Probably a few inches a day. Silty loam soil. We did not have issues growing maple trees (specifically soft red maples like autumn blaze) in that soil, and the river birch thrived.

I did notice that the trees took a few seasons to establish initially before taking off. Maples and the like are trees with shallow rooting systems.

When I planted them, they were not in a basin of new soil. I put them in native soil with the root ball they came with - level or an inch above the grade, then mulched around with a few inches of mulch. I actually created a basin in the mulch to help keep water close to the tree.

The other thing is that a tight soil like clay or silt isn't going to absorb as much water, and will be more hydrophobic. If the grade naturally takes water away from the tree, the soil surface is going to carry water away from it more than if it were a looser soil.

I'm guessing this is by your house, and the yard slopes away from it.

I don't think you're going to "fix" the issue completely. I think I agree more with the initial advice you got that you should till up the soil a good amount around the site, then plant the tree at or slightly above grade and mulch around. The mulch will protect from freezing and help to retain moisture. when I planted mine, I made a natural depression in the mulch to try and keep water close to the tree. Remember, that tight soil is going to repel water - it can be like concrete.

TimmyG

Post by TimmyG » October 26th, 2016, 2:32 pm

HLG, red maples like water and can handle some real boggy situations. It's the staple tree in my wetland. I've even planted an Autumn Blaze in a low spot in my front yard. Japanese maples, on the other hand, do not like boggy situations.

Christmar, it seems like the planting instructions sheet that you shared above was pretty clear on how to amend your native soil for backfilling.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 26th, 2016, 2:44 pm

Understood - I did not have boggy conditions is what I'm saying, due to the grade of my soil.

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 26th, 2016, 2:55 pm

I will say, though, the top 4 or 6" are very quick draining. I can see the profile when looking at the side of the hole. There's a very distinct line of brown/black soil and then the red clayish soil. I also noticed while digging my 2nd "combo" chimney today that I did notice an area about 1.5 feet down that was "easier" to get the post hole digger through. I didn't notice that on the first hole yesterday, so I'm hoping that I might have finally found something down low that will help usher that water right out of the way.

Oh, and you're right HLG. This is up near the house, and there's at least a 2% slope (probably more, I'm just estimating) from the the house to the curb.

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LTCM » October 26th, 2016, 8:17 pm

If you wanted to try a deeper chimney, look at info on jetting a water well. You can get down 20 ft pretty easy in an few hours. 2 inch pipe is typical, which ends up with around a 3 inch hole. Could use 4 inch pipe as well. You could try using one 10 foot stick and make a couple of chimneys in an afternoon.

I got down 16 ft in my yard pretty easy before hitting granite. It's fun to see the different layers of material get washed up.

http://www.drillyourownwell.com/

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 26th, 2016, 10:11 pm

LTCM wrote:If you wanted to try a deeper chimney, look at info on jetting a water well. You can get down 20 ft pretty easy in an few hours. 2 inch pipe is typical, which ends up with around a 3 inch hole. Could use 4 inch pipe as well. You could try using one 10 foot stick and make a couple of chimneys in an afternoon.

I got down 16 ft in my yard pretty easy before hitting granite. It's fun to see the different layers of material get washed up.

http://www.drillyourownwell.com/
Where were you 3 days ago?! That looks awesome!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

chrismar

Post by chrismar » October 30th, 2016, 9:49 am

We got about 1/2" of rain over the course of 24 hours this past Thursday and I'm happy to say the drainage system performed wonderfully! I had a similar sized hole in the backyard where I had removed a dead tree. The soil profile is very similar, and after Thursday's rain event this hole had a good 3-4" of water in it.

Since I was feeling good about everything I went ahead and planted the tree:

I made 50% mix of native soil and amendments using the recipe on the link I posted earlier, albeit slightly modified. It's hard to tell in the picture, but I left the top of the rootball a good 3-4" above grade before building up the berm with the soil mixture and mulching heavily.

Hopefully this was enough to make this tree happy in this spot!