Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
jtfloyd65
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Floyd's Soil Test Results

Post by jtfloyd65 » October 26th, 2016, 11:07 pm

Hello All,

About a month ago, I took 4 to 5 inch samples from my yard and submitted them to Logan labs for a soil test. I live in Evansville Indiana where the soil conditions tend to be more like sand. My square footage on my yard is about 3000 sq. ft. and I am looking for the best results on my lawn. This fall, I aerated my lawn and then used my claussen TS-20 to power seed. My grass is type is tall turf fescue and cut it at 3 inches, I also just overseeded it 2 to 3 weeks ago with Firecracker SLS and Titanium 2LS. Since this was my first soil test, the things that stood out to me was the deficit of potassium in my yard. I have looked into Alpha Chemicals potassium sulfate, as an option to help raise my potassium numbers. I also noticed that my ph level is almost alkaline, it was 6.9. Besides that, I really don't know how to interpret any of the other information on the form. If someone would be so kind to look over my results and make recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance
Floyd
http://postimg.cc/image/pb6rk9zbh/

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Floyd's Soil Test Results

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 27th, 2016, 10:44 am

Welcome to the site, Floyd - from a fellow Hoosier!

Did you really sample at 6 inches? Next time do it at 3-4 inch mark.

You are in the Hoosier transition zone for turf environments. That's the northern part of the transition zone from cool season to warm season grasses.

As an example, your avg first frost date is 2-3 weeks later than the central or northern parts of our great state.

Your soil actually looks really good in most areas. :good:

The Organic Matter (OM) level is almost at the good level. Keep mulch mowing, mulching leaves etc this fall, but this is not in the problem area. We're shooting for over 5% to get to good, and it takes literally tons of material to affect this even a half percent.

Your soil doesn't look sandy based on that TEC. It's a nice loam, tilting towards heavier - but not much. A pretty nice soil in terms of texture there, with good OM to help hold onto nutrients and moisture.

Unfortunately we're pretty late in the season to do a lot of amendments. Hit us up in the spring for a plan using this test. I'll go ahead and run through it, though - and offer what makes sense to finish out 2016.

The major cations of Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), and Potassium (K) are in decent alignment. The soil is higher in Ca and Mg, which is likely what's making your pH 6.9. This makes the K level look worse than it is, but the raw level really isn't too bad. We'll work on that next year, slowly. Don't apply Potassium Sulfate now. There is at least one study that shows increased, late fall K applications directly correspond to increased snow mold levels. Especially on new turf, not recommended to do things that might encourage spring fungal issues. Evansville still gets some snow. I'd just avoid it.

Ca and Mg are in excess - we'll live with it - you're not going to get rid of it, and you can have a fine lawn with the pH, which really is in a good spot.

Your Phosphorus is low, though. Because your average first frost date is in a couple days, I'd be ok with a single application of 2 lbs / K Triple Superphosphate (TSP 0-50-0) this weekend. It should also help your new seedlings root.

We'll pick it up next spring - ping us here for a plan then. You'll probably be applying lots of starter fertilizer next year as a heads up - you need P and some K. Sometimes I find it on sale late season like now.

Iron level is great.

If you want the best, I'd also recommend working on the micronutrients starting next spring. You'll want to get some milorganite to apply with those next year.

Other than that, finish out your Nitrogen applications for the year. That means a winterizer of 1 lbs / K fast release Nitrogen (urea is good for that), timed for when your top growth stops but the roots are still growing - likely early to mid December for you.

jtfloyd65
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Floyd's Soil Test Results

Post by jtfloyd65 » November 2nd, 2016, 8:37 pm

HoosierLawnGnome,

Thank you for the Hoosier hospitality and the very helpful insight. I did take some samples around 4 to 5 inches when I first started pulling samples from the yard. After I aerated the lawn, I used the plugs that I pulled for the rest of my sample. After I seeded the lawn I did add some Lesco 18-24-12 starter fertilizer at 3 lbs/k. Do u think I should still add some Triple Superphosphate? My grass has come in really nice, I have some spots were I will need to reseed next year to thicken up my front yard. My back yard has so many weeds that I have given up on it and I think I'm going start from scratch next year. Once again thanks for your time and all the information that you have provided.

Floyd