Soil test for 2017.

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Soil test for 2017.

Post by j rockford » November 21st, 2016, 8:08 am

Here we go. Beware of falling calcium.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LWE4 ... p=drivesdk

Hope the link works. Thanks for the tip Andy. And welcome back morph!

Followed previous plan with exception of boron tap in fall. Life and dollar spot got in the way. Also hit with calcium and Epsom salts last week once I saw the test, figured it needed it on back and right :banghead:. I have thoughts but will wait for the consensus.

j rockford
Grass Type: emblem moonbeam moonlight slt midnight star midnight prosperity, boutique

Re: Soil test for 2017.

Post by j rockford » November 21st, 2016, 8:31 am

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » November 21st, 2016, 9:03 am

The Link works fine - I can see the test results.

j rockford

Post by j rockford » November 21st, 2016, 8:13 pm

Cool. Ok, smidge more detail. 7.5 k of lawn. Shrinks a bit each year due to slowly adding gardens including a second rose garden for spring. 100 lbs 0-0-50. 4 apps of ca/mg per recommended ratio on right and back. #4 dropped a week ago once I saw the test results without violating 90 day rule. I imagine we'll see a reload next year. One boron tap in spring. Milo and urea for n and dollar spot left me with about 50% coverage on left section which is better than last year which was about 30% in first summer since Reno. We are in a drought so I may not winterize unless we get rain. Didn't intend to skip boron in fall, life got in the way. Leaves being imported for right and back to supplement what happens naturally. Ready for a better 2017 as 2016 cratered in August and to top it off my spreader broke last week . Roses looked good though and potassium increased on the test so that's what we are building on. That and the emblem plugs transplanted to the left from the back which have settled in nicely. Can't wait to see them spread, there is plenty of room.
Last edited by j rockford on November 21st, 2016, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 21st, 2016, 8:19 pm

OK, I'm on it...

Curiosity question: with all of those cultivars, can you really tell the Emblem? It is so different to me from other cultivars, but sometimes I wonder if I imagine it.

j rockford

Post by j rockford » November 21st, 2016, 8:24 pm

Great question. In the back I experimented with some plugs grown in jiffy pots. They are easy to see. Certainty treatments this spring in back have yielded good results so far and it is (or was a few weeks ago, it is an early napper) easy to tell. One of my neighbors even remarks on it. My dog has his favorite patch which is in a slight incline for napping as well and it is all emblem.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » November 21st, 2016, 8:33 pm

Yup!! Late riser, early napper -- but oh Lord the stuff plays a guitar solo when the heat comes on. I have to remind myself sometimes that I can't abuse the Blueberry (back yard) the same way in Summer.
My dog has his favorite patch which is in a slight incline for napping as well and it is all emblem.
Funny you mention that -- people see it as very soft and often try laying in it. That generally triggers a discussion (by me) about the origins of Milorganite. Works every time.

j rockford

Post by j rockford » November 21st, 2016, 9:12 pm

These are facts. If there is a bright side to the wreckage (think repair from crane damage or attack of the killer tow truck drivers) every where else in the lawn when there is damage it grows back darker. I'm hoping for results like simplekid had a few years back when has his poa apocalypse and it came back in a season. My back yard was an overseed/plug project from my early days and two certainty apps without conscience this springto rid the area of unwanteds was chugging right along until summer decided to move in until mid November. At this point it is a fist fight between a growing mass of emblem and some islands of an old galaxy blend. Both are pretty but, yeah, you know who wins that one.

LoneRanger
Grass Type: Front/Side - Emblem, Back - Panterra V

Post by LoneRanger » November 22nd, 2016, 1:17 pm

My dog has his favorite patch which is in a slight incline for napping as well and it is all emblem.
andy10917 wrote:Funny you mention that -- people see it as very soft and often try laying in it. That generally triggers a discussion (by me) about the origins of Milorganite. Works every time.
Nice one, Andy.

Emblem definitely has a look all its own. I can see that very early on.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 27th, 2017, 8:59 pm

Oh my Lord!! First test out of the starting blocks for me, and it turns out to be Bryan. The man who had a plot of land that just defies management numbers. It does what it wants to do. This year it even thumbed its nose at me with awesome Iron numbers!!

I have no explanations. Once again, I apologize to a valued long-time member and go over and over the detail and then say that I don't know what I could recommend that I haven't already said multiple times. Keep doing what you're doing and as you say "the end result is improving" even if the numbers just do what they will. Smile and look at the nice grass. And I'll go back to banging my head against a brick wall.

If your soil does one thing really well, it's keep me from from thinking I've got this soil stuff all figured out!!

Any specific questions or issues, Bryan?

j rockford

Post by j rockford » February 27th, 2017, 9:34 pm

Nothing like jumping into the deep end eh?

To my (untrained) eyes the left area looks solid except for a boron tap or two. It also is the area that got crushed by dollar spot. Go figure.

The calcium (and magnesium for that matter) on the right and back shocked me. I'm wondering if at this tec stuff is hung up above the four inch level. Can't imagine it sliding through.

Question 1: are we still at critical with K or can we scale that back?
Question 2: P on the right anything to hit the gas on?
Question 3: boron tap. I've seen different suggestions than two tablespoons twice a year, any thoughts there.

I have been using Pennington lime, will be changing, also used the johnathan green product in the past. Both showed lower numbers than the preceding year. They are fired.

Here is my game plan, feeding only:
March June and October calcium and mg
March April 50 lbs Sbm
May 25 lbs 18-0-18 triple superphosphate also on right
June 100 lbs Sbm
Milo as needed for taps
July, nothing
August 100lbs Sbm
September milorganite till hell won't have it (there 5 dollar a bag wal mart sale season, bag rate weekly etc) October 25 lbs of 18-0-18.
Thanksgiving vigoro or whatever is on sale winterizer.

Thoughts?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » February 27th, 2017, 10:44 pm

Question 1: are we still at critical with K or can we scale that back?
"Critical" is a funny word to use. Here's your situation: with a heavy soil, you have a lot of nutrients, but the pH is very low because it could still hold a lot more, and Exchangeable Hydrogen fills what isn't occupied. We could use Calcium or Magnesium, but they might (probably would) displace the Potassium that we currently have. See how that doesn't work well? I know it's a pain to find, apply, and pay for - but it's the right answer for you.
Question 2: P on the right anything to hit the gas on?
It's fine. And it doesn't play with the pH.
Question 3: boron tap. I've seen different suggestions than two tablespoons twice a year, any thoughts there.
I've gone to 3 tablespoons, and every 60 days -- that's new this year. I've seen folks post higher than that, but the possibility of an overlapped application is too high in my opinion. I don't want problems, and have never had them at the rates I publish.

j rockford

Post by j rockford » February 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm

Will do

So if we are following previous plan here is the dance step. Every thing is per k.

Ca 9 lbs Epsom 2 lbs on right and back March July and november

Sop 2 lbs April may June August Sept October.

Boron 3 tbs per April June August October.

Nix the 18-0-18 And tsp

Sbm monthly March to Aug skip July. 50#, 2 servings in aug.

Milo as needed to spread and tap in spring Milo bomb in Sept Oct to the pause. Winterize when appropriate.