High N to C compos=topdress AND fert.?

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
lawngonewrong
Grass Type: KBG/HKBG/PRG/CRF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

High N to C compos=topdress AND fert.?

Post by lawngonewrong » January 3rd, 2017, 11:11 am

Thinking through my springtime seeding and feeding I thought, at least on paper, that compost with a high N to C ratio might be helpful as both a topdressing and a slow-release fertilizer. Do folks with more knowledge of lawns, hort, biochem, microbio, etc. think that a high N:C compost might do double-duty (topdress+fert) with cool season grasses?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Re: High N to C compos=topdress AND fert.?

Post by bpgreen » January 3rd, 2017, 3:51 pm

I kind of doubt it. If it's finished compost, it's going to be pretty much broken down organic matter. If it had too much N during the composting process, excess N just went into the air (and smelled bad). If it had too much C, it likely just took longer to break down. The end result is probably pretty similar.

lawngonewrong
Grass Type: KBG/HKBG/PRG/CRF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: High N to C compos=topdress AND fert.?

Post by lawngonewrong » January 3rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

Thanks, bpgreen.

The local municipal more-or-less monopoly leaf compost product has a C:N of 23 and the small private firms, who start with more food products, have published lab results of C:N at 13 or so. And the lab results claim the food-based, higher nitrogen stuff is actually more mature in that it produces less CO2.

I'm a little cautious on making big inferences on things I don't understand, but especially noting that some folks here have pushed food compost as more nutrient rich than leafgro, I thought that maybe the 'better' compost was a nice way to get a slow (hopefully very slow) N feed along with my topdress.

This might just be one to roll on the dice on and see what happens! But low expectations are always best!