Okstatejoe Soil Test 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
okstatejoe
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Okstatejoe Soil Test 2017

Post by okstatejoe » February 16th, 2017, 11:38 pm

After finding this website late last year, I recently decided to take the money I was paying a local lawn management company and give this a try myself. I've included information about my yard as well as the results from a recent soil test below. I went ahead and tested the front and back just to see how much different they are. I'm willing to put in whatever time/energy it takes to turn this thing around. We moved into this house in 2012 and I've never been satisfied with how the yard/grass looks. If you all can give me recommendations on a nitrogen plan it would be much appreciated as well. My wife already complains about the time I spend reading the website (things are about to get a lot worse :D ). Looking forward to it.

Age of Lawn: 11 Years (new construction in 2006)
Type of Grass: Bermuda (not sure exactly what variety but not Tifway (wish it was))
Size of Lawn: About 4,500 square feet of grass (split almost exactly between front and back, 2,250 square feet each)
Condition of Soil: The company I was paying did several soil tests and I know the PH was high. They recommended a sulphur treatment, which after doing some reading on here doesn't sound like it would do a whole lot of good. Looks like PH is still pretty high based on the recent test.
Cutting of lawn: I use a Honda HRX rotary mower. In the past I've kept it relatively high (3" or so), but I plan to mow more frequently and reduce that this year (around 1.5" or 2").
Fertilization: Not sure exactly what they were putting down.
Irrigation: Have an automatic sprinkler system. I need check the rates and adjust my times accordingly.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Okstatejoe Soil Test 2017

Post by andy10917 » March 6th, 2017, 9:59 pm

That's a bit of a challenging soil, but it's not over your head.

It's a heavy soil, which means it can be a bit forgiving as long as it drains. The downside is that oversupplies can be be tough to offset or eliminate. And you have some oversupplies.

It's not an easy reading either - 87% Base Saturation doesn't leave much space. What little space we have in the cations needs to go to the Potassium.

The Phosphorus is way lower than I like, too. When the Potassium and Phosphorus are both low, I go to the balanced fertilizers until we get close. Choose a balanced fertilizer like 12-12-12 or 15-15-15 and post the NPK, please.

The Iron numbers are so-so, but at your pH (which is OK for Bermuda), the Iron is not going to work. If you want to apply a fair amount of Milorganite, it will help the color. The only other way to get top color is going to be to get real friendly with an FAS regimen.

There is no way to say the following nicely - the OM numbers are quite poor. Any source of OM in any form should be applied, copiously and often. Come back with those numbers next year and I will call you out for it.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc could use work - are you up for that? Post the answers when you post the balanced fertilizer NPK !!!

okstatejoe

Post by okstatejoe » March 8th, 2017, 12:41 am

Thanks Andy! I went and looked at Tractor Supply tonight and they have a 13-13-13 all purpose fertilizer. Will that work? It's derived from Urea so I'm assuming it's fast release and I'll probably need to apply it more often at lower rates.

I'm definitely up for applying the milorganite, boron, and zinc if you don't mind giving me recommendations on rates/frequency for those.

Challenge accepted on improving the organic matter. I've seen several posts mentioning mulching leaves etc. I'm in central Oklahoma and leaves/trees are kind of in short supply. What other options would you recommend? There's a local place that sells manure based compost by the yard. Is it a good option to top dress with that?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 8th, 2017, 9:23 am

13-13-13 is fine. It can be applied monthly at 7.5 lbs/K.

Milorganite can be applied as desired, and halfway in-between balanced fertilizer apps. Boron and Zinc can be applied at 3 tablespoons/K, every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application advice.

For OM, all free sources are preferred, because you can apply lots without going to the poorhouse. But you may need to get creative - things like spent brewery grains, etc. Failing all that, peat moss, compost and composted manures are fine. Fully-composted manures don't smell, but unfinished ones smell and are "hot" (capable of burning grass and plants because the composting process wasn't completed).

okstatejoe

Post by okstatejoe » March 19th, 2017, 11:41 am

So I have one more question Andy. I think what you said about the iron in my soil not being available because of my ph is definitely visible in the color of my grass. It always seems to have a light green/somewhat yellow color to it. The FAS treatments will be difficult because most of the growing season the temperature gets above 85 degrees in a 24 hour period. If I apply milorganite every 2 weeks at 2 bags for 4500 sq ft will that be a problem (on the same day I apply the balanced fertilizer and once in between the balanced fertilizer apps)? Or will I not see much benefit? I'm not sure how much of the iron in the milorganite my yard could use in a 2 week period.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 19th, 2017, 12:09 pm

Applying Milorganite at that rate is fine, but only halfway between the balanced fertilizer apps. Look at the surface of the soil to make sure that previous apps are not still laying on the surface.

okstatejoe

Post by okstatejoe » March 19th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Sounds good. Thanks! I'll try 4 bags for 4500 sq ft between balanced fertilizer apps and making sure it's not visible on the ground before I make another application.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 19th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Wait - you asked about 2 bags for 4500 sq ft. 4 bags might not process completely before you're up against the next balanced application. I wouldn't do that at first - I'd start at 2 bags (a little above standard rate) at slowly go up if things go well.