Riverpilot 2017 spring soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Riverpilot
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Riverpilot 2017 spring soil test

Post by Riverpilot » March 6th, 2017, 11:59 am

First I would like to give a BIG thank you for everything done on this site. Wonderful! :clapping:

1) Lawn is approximately 4,000sq ft.
2) KBG lawn type.
3) Mow when needed at 3". May mow at 2.5" once in the spring & fall for clean up.

4) At the moment I rely on hose and sprinklers when absolutely needed in the summer for irrigation.
I will be getting lawn irrigation installed in April, so I will have irrigation as needed/wanted.

5) Like all other lawns in this area, with high humidity/temps in the summer, rust likes to rear its ugly head every year.
6) My goal is to turn this into the best looking lawn in the neighborhood. A nice lush, green lawn. I'd prefer to know the "best" method of doing this.

7) I have purchased Milorganite, and have access to plenty of it if needed.
8) I have access to a siteone (John Deere store) which can get me pretty much any fertilizer or other items I need.
9) Purchased Aerify Plus from Nature's Lawn. Figured it's worth a try for aeration needs.
10) Also have access to compost, made by my city. Able to get large quantities if needed for organic matter needs.

Thank you very much for all the help!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Riverpilot 2017 spring soil test

Post by MorpheusPA » March 12th, 2017, 11:23 am

My turn! I've been a bit scarce this season so far.

Overall, you have a couple of problems to fix, but this is generally a pretty good soil and, even as it stands, not much of a barrier to a great lawn. Fix those issues and it's not a barrier at all--everything else will come down to proper feeding and proper care.

ME 20.16: This is probably a hair overinflated by your high calcium levels, so I'm turning it down to a standard of 15. That's a nice soil that holds a lot of resources but doesn't fight you too hard when it needs to change, and just about where I sit as well.

pH 7.3: Not a barrier to a great lawn, although color will suffer a bit. There's not much you're going to do about that, so we learn to love it. In terms of feeding, I'd be inclined to use things that would very slowly pull this down over long periods of time. That includes urea (somewhat acidic) and ammonium sulfate (rather acidic) on the normal cycle of Memorial Day, Labor Day, October 1, and when the grass stops growing but is still green. That's for future years, this year and probably next year will involve a lot of starter fertilizer (also acidic) instead.

OM 2.53%: In the Fair range, and not much of a concern with your ME. Still, I'd add in organic feedings (they combine well with the acidic synthetics listed above) and even well-screened compost from your city since you can get that. It won't change fast, but it makes your pH matter a lot less.

Sulfur 6: Low, but not unreasonable. Feeding organically will naturally raise this, as will the potassium application listed below.

Phosphorus 53: Quite low. For your pH, I'd target 220 to 240 on this test. We use starter fertilizer to raise this, and just get the cheapest. They all work the same. Recommendations below.

Calcium 75%: High, but not unreasonably so. This is, in part, setting off your higher pH. Other than slowly dispelling it over years--if we can--with acids, you're stuck with it. Since it's not really a problem, that's not an issue.

Magnesium 19%: Extremely high, which might lead to a tight, impenetrable soil that's hard to dig. Avoid any significant magnesium sources, which is pretty easy. Dolomitic lime would be a particular no-no. Again, we use acidic fertilizers to slowly dispel this over the course of years...if it's going to dislodge!

Potassium 1.0%: Pretty low. It's not quite as low as it looks, since Mg and Ca are both high, but it's still low. We use potassium sulfate (sulfate of potash) to fix this, which you can get from some garden or landscape stores, or they'll order it for you. Recommendations below.

Sodium 0.3%: Great! We want sodium to be as low as possible, so off-the-charts low isn't an issue.

Minor Elements: Copper and zinc are fine. You could open a manganese mine in your yard, but that's not going to be an issue--we just account for the things that manganese antagonizes. Boron is a bit low, and I mention iron (one of the things that manganese antagonizes, actually...)

Boron: While not the most important element, I'll always work to move your lawn into the most optimal range on everything. Me? I'd fix this. We use Milorganite as a carrier and 20 Mule Team Borax as the boron source. You can purchase 20 Mules at the grocery store in the laundry section. In a wheelbarrow or the like, dump the Milo. Spraying very, very lightly with water (I use a spray bottle like the kind people use to damp their clothes when they iron) will help the boron stick. Add the recommended amount of 20 Mule Team Borax and stir, spraying occasionally to get the stuff to stick to the Milo. Then apply over the recommended area. So if going for bag rate Milorganite (1 bag per 2,500 square feet), you'd add 10 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax.

Iron 183: Not deficient, but not going to produce the best color at your pH, and on KBG (which tends to be iron-hungry stuff). Whenever you like, you can apply Milorganite at bag rate to slowly raise this over the course of some years.

Recommendations:

April 15: Apply potassium sulfate at 3 pounds per thousand square feet.

May 1: Apply 4 tablespoons (not a misprint!) of 20 Mule Team Borax per thousand square feet in Milorganite carrier.

Memorial Day: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

Labor Day: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

September 15: Apply potassium sulfate at 3 pounds per thousand square feet.

October 1: Apply starter fertilizer at bag rate.

Winterizer: Apply any high-nitrogen fertilizer at bag rate; do not apply starter fertilizer at this time.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 12th, 2017, 1:49 pm

First, thank you very much for all the insight! I really do love this forum. :)

1) Potassium sulfate. I believe I can get 0-0-51 granular from Lesco/Site one.
2) 4 tablespoons of 20 Mule per thousand sq ft. Milorganite. Check.
3) Starter fertilizer. I have a few choices. Scotts, 24-25-4. Or I think I can get Lesco in 18-24-12 or 24-0-11. Is there a preference?
4) For winterizer, would this be the Urea, or would Lesco 24-0-11 be preferred?
5) For milorganite. Would twice a month, every two weeks be ok, or should be more/less?
6) I believe I'll be over-seeding in the fall this year, late August to early September time frame most likely.
7) I'm planning on adding compost this fall, along with the over-seeding.

Again, thank you very much for all your help. With the addition of irrigation in my lawn this year, I'm very excited. :)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » March 12th, 2017, 8:57 pm

1,2 -- Great!
3 -- Whichever one is cheapest, although the last one (24-0-11) isn't starter fertilizer. Starter will have a high second number.
4 -- Either, really, although I do tend to use something close to pure nitrogen for winterization. Last year, urea. Potassium isn't an error, but doesn't do much good when applied at this point in time.
5 -- Whatever you like! Personally, I'd say once a month is just fine, and I'm inclined to skip July and August since lawns really don't want to be fed much (or at all) during the summer, particularly if stressed by drought.
6, 7 -- No problem! There's nothing here that will get in the way of seeding or using compost!

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 12th, 2017, 10:17 pm

With having irrigation installed next month, I'm not QUITE as worried about droughts as in the past, but I also have zero intentions on spending a fortune for water either. lol :)

I'll look at prices for everything then. I don't mind one bit saving a bit of money if the results are the same.

Again, my many thanks for your help. Great to be around here and learn.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 13th, 2017, 8:00 pm

After calling my John Deere/Lesco dealer, and every place around that I can think of to purchase 0-0-50, it seems I don't have a local source.

I can either locate an on-line source, suggestions are welcome, or if I stay local, it's the 0-0-60, which isn't the sulfate of potash. I believe the 0-0-60 is detrimental to lawns?

I'll continue my search. Thankfully I only need a single 50lb bag to get me through the year.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2017, 8:34 pm

You checked places like the CPS in Atalissa?

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 13th, 2017, 8:54 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 13th, 2017, 8:34 pm
You checked places like the CPS in Atalissa?
Actually, I had not contacted them yet. Thank you for the idea.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 13th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Look to the farm co-ops and stuff - not the retail garden centers.

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by kbgfarmer » March 13th, 2017, 9:40 pm

Riverpilot wrote:
March 13th, 2017, 8:00 pm
After calling my John Deere/Lesco dealer, and every place around that I can think of to purchase 0-0-50, it seems I don't have a local source.

I can either locate an on-line source, suggestions are welcome, or if I stay local, it's the 0-0-60, which isn't the sulfate of potash. I believe the 0-0-60 is detrimental to lawns?

I'll continue my search. Thankfully I only need a single 50lb bag to get me through the year.
I was able to get SOP at my local siteone let year. They didn't have any on hand-looked at me funny when I asked for a bag. They had to have it transferred from one of their stores in Illinois to my home city of Madison. This year I was able to source a 50 lb bag from Seed World USA along with a 50 lb bag of TSP. Reasonable price for the SOP at 31 dollars and change but shipping is a killer.

https://www.seedworldusa.com/products/s ... zer-50-lbs

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 15th, 2017, 6:01 pm

kbgfarmer wrote:
March 13th, 2017, 9:40 pm
Riverpilot wrote:
March 13th, 2017, 8:00 pm

I was able to get SOP at my local siteone let year. They didn't have any on hand-looked at me funny when I asked for a bag. They had to have it transferred from one of their stores in Illinois to my home city of Madison. This year I was able to source a 50 lb bag from Seed World USA along with a 50 lb bag of TSP. Reasonable price for the SOP at 31 dollars and change but shipping is a killer.

https://www.seedworldusa.com/products/s ... zer-50-lbs
Just curious, is the SOP you got from seed world easily applied via fertilizer spreader? Or is it really fine, dust like?
I'm still calling places local to me. 3 places have told me they SHOULD be able to order it, but none, so far, have called me back stating they actually can and have.

mtlcafan79
Grass Type: Zoysia/NoMix mutt mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by mtlcafan79 » March 15th, 2017, 6:50 pm

It looks like the old clay kitty litter almost.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » March 15th, 2017, 7:25 pm

mtlcafan79 wrote:
March 15th, 2017, 6:50 pm

It looks like the old clay kitty litter almost.
Thank you very much. :good: :wave:

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » May 21st, 2017, 4:51 pm

I'm curious, Andy or whomever may chime in, would gypsum help at all on my lawn, with the clay and hard soil conditions?
I'm spraying the soil conditioner and kelp help every two weeks.

Thank you very much in advance.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 21st, 2017, 5:07 pm

The simple answer is "probably not", but you may be thinking of stuff that I'm unaware of. Frame out the question for me.

If you've heard that "gypsum fixes clay" then you are likely to be quite disappointed. Gypsum fixes something called "sodic clay" (Sodium-based clay). Davenport is not a sodic clay area for the most part - they are mostly in the arid Southwest. For some crazy reason, the selling companies always forget to mention that it's only effective on certain specific clays.

Riverpilot

Post by Riverpilot » May 21st, 2017, 5:17 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 5:07 pm
The simple answer is "probably not", but you may be thinking of stuff that I'm unaware of. Frame out the question for me.

If you've heard that "gypsum fixes clay" then you are likely to be quite disappointed. Gypsum fixes something called "sodic clay" (Sodium-based clay). Davenport is not a sodic clay area for the most part - they are mostly in the arid Southwest. For some crazy reason, the selling companies always forget to mention that it's only effective on certain specific clays.
You hit the nail on the head, good sir. A local company, the owner of such is a friend, stated it would help my lawn due to the high clay content... but I wasn't so sure.

I knew if I asked here I would get the real answer. Thank you very much! :)