Dave's 2017 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
prog_dave
Grass Type: Northern Mix with multiple Crest/Baron/Blue Angel KBG Overseeds
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Dave's 2017 Soil Test

Post by prog_dave » March 9th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Hello again, this is my fifth year of requesting advice from the pros. Here are my results:

If not for the very different TEC readings from year-to-year, I'd feel like I was starting to get a handle on how to manage the calcium, magnesium and potassium levels. With the wildly fluctuating results, I'm not sure what to believe. Here's my history in the back yard:

2017 12.76
2016 7.02
2015 4.50
2014 8.27
2013 2.37

At least it's trending in a good direction!

Here's last year's link.
https://aroundtheyard.com/forums2/viewt ... 77#p269277

It's good to see the micros move, but I'm sure I have more to do.

Feel free to put more southerly folks ahead of me in line - I took my samples during a warm stretch in late February but winter isn't over yet.

As always, thanks for your advice!

kbgfarmer
Grass Type: Bewitched Kentucky bluegrass
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: Dave's 2017 Soil Test

Post by kbgfarmer » March 10th, 2017, 12:10 am

Amazing how your TEC is increasing even though your om percent decreased since last year. I'd be interested to see what the experts attribute this too. Looks like you are going from sand to loam! I didn't think this was possible except over thousands of years.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » March 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Well, I see a very nice soil that's come together over the years. :yahoo:

I really enjoyed looking at this, and the credit can't go to me - as others gave you the advice that got you thus far. :hello: Hats off to them.

Really, this is "the year" in terms of things aligning. Now, there's still some work to do - but it's looking pretty good. :good:

From my perspective, the soils in the front and back are essentially the same on this test, so I'll treat them as such. I'm assuming you want the micros analyzed, so I'll leave it up to Andy to see if different needs exist there.

In all these tests, it would be very easy to look at this year and last year and miss the forest for those two trees - getting caught up in why that TEC moved around for instance. I'm not going to do too much of that, though - the progress and trend of this soil are much more apparent when comparing the overall trends, particularly that first test in 2013 with 2017's. Perhaps you have some varying soil horizons with OM pockets that account for the minor changes? "Sampling variance"? Things getting pushed around a bit as you added lots of Ca in the past? All of the above?

The big picture looks so much better that I'm not concerned particularly about why there's this one tree doing a few weird things. Throw out this year, I'm assuming you're still a slightly sandy loam. Compare that TEC of 3 to start, then several years of 5's, and we arrive at 11/12. Very nice trend! Still slightly sandy loam given the big picture IMO.

So, I'm shifting you into more of a "land the plane" mode.

That OM number is good, and consistently good. I wouldn't worry too much about the outlier test last year showing 7 in one zone and getting worried - 5+ is good. But, you've heard the speech - more is almost always better here. Mulch mow etc. But you have a nice level.

This year that pH measured right in the sweet spot at 6.5! Look at 2013 - 5.1?!?!?!? Acidic. You are now well balanced. The pH is good because you worked hard to increase deficient major cations (Ca, Mg, K) which all show an increase of raw levels over the years.

The Mg and K do show minor deficiencies compared to your level of Calcium, but they aren't bad. Nonetheless, let's do a little bit of work here - slowly - so we don't push your pH to a place where Iron uptake is problematic.

Apply 2 lbs / K SOP April, June, and September.

Apply 2 lbs / K epsom salts April and September, two weeks from the SOP.

Your P level is luxurious. Nothing to do there.

Iron level is likewise very good, and your soil isn't too alkaline to use it - so I'm not going to recommend anything as necessary here. If you want it greener, I'm sure you've memorized the milo mantra here by now. :D

Other things like sodium and sulfur look fine.

That really leaves a Nitrogen program, which I'm sure you have under control, and micros - which you may need to remind andy to look at given how busy we get.

Nice work! Land that plane!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » March 17th, 2017, 5:30 pm

In the micro's, It's Boron only for this year. Three tablespoons/K of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap, every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

prog_dave

Post by prog_dave » March 17th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Thank you both! I'm glad to know that I don't need to obsess over the volatility in TEC from year-to-year and it's very nice to have less work to do than my first few years - I can focus on the poa triv and the moles (any way to magically make them kill each other?).

I've got the Magnesium and Boron on hand and just have to buy the SOP. Whether or not my Nitrogen regimen is ideal, it seems to be working. I've held back the last couple summers because of lack of rainfall, but stepped it up a bit in the fall, following the great advice on this board.

Thanks again!

Sicride
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Sicride » March 19th, 2017, 12:01 am

prog_dave wrote:
March 17th, 2017, 6:19 pm
I can focus on the poa triv and the moles (any way to magically make them kill each other?).
Rabies... not sure that's environmentally friendly approach though.

prog_dave

Post by prog_dave » March 19th, 2017, 8:02 am

Hmm, very interesting... :rotfl: