jump start soil test #1

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Jump Start
Grass Type: KBG-PRG-TF KBG - Titan TLC
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

jump start soil test #1

Post by Jump Start » April 5th, 2017, 8:12 pm

Image Just got it back today hope its not to bad.............When u get a chance let me no what HAS TO BE DONE THANKS...................

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: jump start soil test #1

Post by andy10917 » April 5th, 2017, 8:20 pm

Hey, Jump!! A couple items...

- what's with the two tests? I think I see something weird, but I need your explanation

- please make a Link entry into the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, so you have a place in line

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 6th, 2017, 2:20 pm

So, Jump_Start -- these are two tests (one Standard, one Ammonium Acetate) for the same sample set, right? Can I have your permission to re-post the test results as a training/explanatory illustration? I've needed a side-by-side like this for a long time, and you delivered it...

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » April 6th, 2017, 4:34 pm

Ha! A partial Gage r&r. I was thinking if you(Andy) had ever sent multiple request of the same soil sample to see how repeatable the results are from Logan (maybe even using a different credit card, aka blinded).

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » April 6th, 2017, 7:19 pm

Yep same sample set sure go ahead. Hope this is in the right place to get u guys to tell me what needs fixed..Im no computer whiz...........Thanks

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 6th, 2017, 7:55 pm

We will, but in your turn.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Overall, your soil is not calcareous. The "tannish streaks" may be calcareous, but overall - not so much.

Your soil is such that we can proceed with an (easier) rough-work approach, or start off with a more-complex regimen of harder-to-find nutrients that could continue through soil-tweaking. Your call - can go either way.

You do have one problem that I do not like -- your Manganese PPM is higher than you Iron PPM. This can cause a "chemical confusion" in the soil where the plant mixes up Iron and Manganese. Even though your Iron levels are OK, I will be recommending getting the Iron levels up more...

Let me know whether you would prefer the Easy or the Complex (but gentler) regimen...

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » April 13th, 2017, 7:10 pm

I will go with the more complex regimen. I did spray 3 oz of shampoo per 1,000 the other day. I'm going to treat the whole 20,000 sq. ft. lawn. I did put down a bag of sta-green (18-24-6) 2 weeks ago that was for 14,000 sq ft. Let me no when u get the time what I need to get thanks............

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm

The TEC somewhere around 8 points to the sandy side of loams, and the OM component at 3.75% says that the mineral and organic matter sides are both playing. The OM could go up with more organic matter being added (leaves, compost peat moss, etc).

In the cations, the Calcium and Magnesium are OK and the Potassium is lacking. This presents the pH at 6.7, which is in the sweet spot. We'll try to keep it there when we add the Potassium back.

The Phosphorus is sorely lacking.

We already addressed the Iron/Manganese challenge above a couple of posts. If you like Milorganite, it would be a great Nitrogen and slowly-building Iron source.

To boost the Potassium, locate Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K until you switch to the Fall regimen. Muriate of Potash (0-0-62) is not acceptable for a tweaking regimen.

For the Phosphorus, locate Triple Super Phosphate (TSP, 0-46-0) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K until it's time for the winterizer Urea app).

If you don't use Milorganite, you're on you own for a Nitrogen source.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc need a tap. Up for that in 2017?

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » April 13th, 2017, 9:06 pm

Yes i will also do the boron and Zinc i have mixed the boron which was the 20 mules stuff with Milorganite can i also mix the Zinc in with this so all 3 together and spread. Is it just called Zinc for lawn use? Thanks again

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 13th, 2017, 9:26 pm

Boron is from Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap and Zinc is from Zinc Sulfate, which can be found at EBAY or Amazon.
A lb will treat 8000 sq ft a couple of times. You will apply each every 60 days at 3 tablespoons/K. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide.

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » April 13th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Got u thanks again.........................................

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)

Post by g-man » April 13th, 2017, 10:06 pm

Reading jump start analysis made me think of something. I'm not sure if this should be a new thread.

With recommendation of using Milo, but Milo this year is 5-4-0 instead of 5-2-0; should we use TSP at 2lb/k?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2017, 12:59 am

Do you really think that the output of Milwaukee's sewer output really changed by a factor of 2X in one day, and they changed the bags the next day? Please say No. The stuff printed on the bag is minimum guaranteed analysis. This is not a factory where the output is a consistent product day after day. Within some limits, they can mix batches, but it is what it is - and they have to set a minimum to print on the bags.

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » May 11th, 2017, 11:31 pm

andy10917 wrote:
April 13th, 2017, 7:50 pm
The TEC somewhere around 8 points to the sandy side of loams, and the OM component at 3.75% says that the mineral and organic matter sides are both playing. The OM could go up with more organic matter being added (leaves, compost peat moss, etc).

In the cations, the Calcium and Magnesium are OK and the Potassium is lacking. This presents the pH at 6.7, which is in the sweet spot. We'll try to keep it there when we add the Potassium back.

The Phosphorus is sorely lacking.

We already addressed the Iron/Manganese challenge above a couple of posts. If you like Milorganite, it would be a great Nitrogen and slowly-building Iron source.

To boost the Potassium, locate Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K until you switch to the Fall regimen. Muriate of Potash (0-0-62) is not acceptable for a tweaking regimen.

For the Phosphorus, locate Triple Super Phosphate (TSP, 0-46-0) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K until it's time for the winterizer Urea app).

If you don't use Milorganite, you're on you own for a Nitrogen source.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc need a tap. Up for that in 2017?
Are u saying to put down the sop and the tsp during the summer month's also ? And i'm going to be doing a reno this fall middle of August should I stop putting any of the stuff u r having me put down so I can seed in August. Thanks

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 12th, 2017, 8:20 am

TSP and SOP can be applied in summer, but I'm not crazy about applications of items that change pH near the seed-down date of a reno.

Jump Start

Post by Jump Start » August 5th, 2017, 8:53 pm

Andy since i'm going to be doing a complete reno on about 12,000 sq ft I haven't put down any of the TSP or SOP since Spring and only did 2 app of it did 1 app of boron with Milo. Did not add any Zinc at all. I got the Hogan Blend With 10% KBG got the Scotts starter with weed control. Question Is what Fertilizer should I use after grass starts growing since i'm low in both SOP and TSP I'm thinking I should go with the easy method also do u think my new seeding will come up with the way the soil is now thank's............

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 6th, 2017, 2:31 pm

The grass will come up, but I'd add a Starter fertilizer as the Phosphorus is pretty deficient.