g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Salvas Soil Test 2017 - Backyard

Post by g-man » April 30th, 2017, 10:08 pm

salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm
and team mule soap (i used the sprayer for this one since it was like a talk powder type)
The recommendation is to mix these with milogarnite. It is explained in the how to apply the micros guide http://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=118

salvas
Grass Type: I don't know

Post by salvas » April 30th, 2017, 11:15 pm

g-man wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 10:08 pm
salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm
and team mule soap (i used the sprayer for this one since it was like a talk powder type)
The recommendation is to mix these with milogarnite. It is explained in the how to apply the micros guide http://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=118

thank you. I have read almost all of the how tos... but that one i didnt see!

Ill do that one from now on!

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 1st, 2017, 1:21 pm

salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 11:15 pm
I have read almost all of the how tos... but that one i didnt see!
In all fairness, Andy did instruct you as follows:
andy10917 wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 8:44 am
For the Boron and Copper, you buy a box of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery store and a few lbs of Copper Sulfate from EBay or Amazon. Apply each one at three tablespoons/K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 1st, 2017, 1:29 pm

salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 9:51 pm
Humate products?
See "Solu-Cal" Added to Recommended "Fast-Acting" Limes, although the term mentioned here is "humic acid" rather than "humate".
salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 6:09 pm
About the calcitic lime ...

Would StaGreen be okay or not good enough?
Given the above and my reassurance here, yes.

salvas

Post by salvas » May 31st, 2017, 11:26 am

TimmyG wrote:
May 1st, 2017, 1:21 pm
salvas wrote:
April 30th, 2017, 11:15 pm
I have read almost all of the how tos... but that one i didnt see!
In all fairness, Andy did instruct you as follows:
andy10917 wrote:
For the Boron and Copper, you buy a box of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery store and a few lbs of Copper Sulfate from EBay or Amazon. Apply each one at three tablespoons/K every 60 days, as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.
True. It was hidden in the FAQs and not on the articles section :)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 31st, 2017, 5:59 pm

remember not only I am foreign I knew nothing of lawn stuff.
The Search function is your friend. Bring questions up when you don't understand the material that you found.

salvas

Post by salvas » June 7th, 2017, 9:25 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 31st, 2017, 5:59 pm
remember not only I am foreign I knew nothing of lawn stuff.
The Search function is your friend. Bring questions up when you don't understand the material that you found.
I am slowly getting there.

Btw, you stated my soil is very sandy... however it does not look like it (do I need to actually see some sand in the mix or not really?) Soil has lot of rocks, it is a pain usually to dig anything since we find lots of rocks while doing it... it seems to hold moisture for a while.

salvas

Post by salvas » June 15th, 2017, 7:40 pm

andy10917 wrote:
Whether to use a faster-release fertilizer is up to you. It speeds up the process, but requires more caution.

And regarding pH is ok?
No, and that's why you'll be applying Lime and Epsom Salts. It will take a few years to get the cations right and the pH to follow it into being OK.
Hey Andy,

here you stated it requires more caution. Is that because of burning the lawn? I have been reading the forum and I see a lot of others doing Urea throughout the whole summer. Arent we supposed to skip the summer, especially Urea?

If between Urea and slow release there is no differnece in terms of results wouldnt it make sense more to do Urea or am I missing something?

I am doing the plan you specified here with 4lbs of product per K ... can I use Milorganite on the side and how often? Does it matter that due to that we go above the 1lb of N per K per month>?

I was under the impression, that we should use only 4lbs of N per K per season... doing it weekly or biweekly as I see some do here, doesn't it make that number really shoot?

Thanks

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » June 15th, 2017, 7:52 pm

I'm clearly not Andy.

But I'd really like to ask a question.

Who do you see applying urea weekly year round?

Some have done it in the fall. But I'd suggest that approach is not the year-round norm and it's certainly something I would caution you against.

The other folks who have applied weekly light applications (in the fall) understand there is a risk of over applying if they make a small measuring mistake. That risk could lead them to burn their lawn.

Are you prepared to accept that risk?

For what it's worth, weekly applications of Urea during the summer months here would leave you with a crispy brown (possibly dead) lawn.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 15th, 2017, 10:18 pm

Wow! So many things to address and clarify.

I never recommend weekly year round, and I never even recommend using a single product year round unless the Nitrogen is along for the ride in a balanced fertilizer remedial program. I try to chide folks that try to twist what I do recommend into what they think or wish I said.

Here are a few overall tenets of regimens I recommend:

- never force the grass to grow in Spring by dumping fast-release Nitrogen. Doing so ups the odds for disease later.
- if the lawn is young, regular light apps of Urea (up to 0.5 lbs/K) are OK from (natural) green-up to about mid-June.
- Milorganite from July 1- August 15th should be light and only applied to irrigated lawns. Non-irrigated lawns shouldn't be forced, but even dormant lawns should receive some water every 10-14 days.
- a "hello, wake up" app of Milorganite at full strength in late August is OK.
- Urea apps after Labor Day are fine, but should be 0.5 lbs/K of N or less per week. This means that a single error shouldn't burn the lawn - it takes two errors in the same area in two successive weeks, which is unlikely.
- don't apply any fertilizer during "The Pause"
- Urea app for final winterizer is after growth has completely stopped for top growth

As TT said, the program is designed to allow the less-experienced member to do it safely, but crazy twisting of the words leads to errors and potential damage.