micvog's 2017 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
micvog
Grass Type: Mazama Monostand
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

micvog's 2017 Soil Test

Post by micvog » April 26th, 2017, 9:34 am

Here are my test results from from Logan Labs (current year on the left; prior year on the right):

The changes in pH, calcium, and magnesium surprised me. I am comfortable with the samples I took for both years, but in 2016 there was a definite soil horizon at the 1"-2" mark; this year each sample seemed more consistent (although 1 or 2 samples seemed to be outliers I mixed them thoroughly in with the others). I am attributing the soil horizon in 2016 to heavily disturbed new construction soil and the lawn being "compost seeded" in August 2015 (i.e. grass seed mixed with compost and sprayed over the lot about 2" thick).

Here is what I put down last year (over 10K of lawn):

I also did boron, Serenade, TKO Phosphites, and EcoSmart Insect Killer (granular essential oil extract; kids were being eaten alive when playing in the backyard). However, I added the boron to my Milorganite/potassium sulfate mix only to later find out that boron shouldn't be applied at the same time as potassium?

The lawn didn't "take off" until end of July, and I struggled with rust most of the year. The lawn is currently green, and waking up with the other lawns in the development (NoMix seeded at roughly the same timeas my lawn) but behind other lawns in the town. It is a little thin, but I am attributing that to last year's battle with rust which lasted until first frost.

I have 60# of Potassium Sulfate and boron on-hand (I am up for micros), and I am planning on both the biofungicide and Fall urea/ammonium sulfate regimens.

Thanks ST6!

micvog

Re: micvog's 2017 Soil Test

Post by micvog » April 26th, 2017, 10:10 am

I should have noted that I imported, and mulched, the leaves from 50 mature ash trees into my lawn last fall. I am assuming that is the primary driver of the jump in my OM%. I bagged clippings most of last year due to rust but plan on mulching clippings this year. I most likley will not have access to the leaves again as those trees are being chopped down.

micvog

Post by micvog » April 27th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Getting ahead of myself, but I am expecting gypsum in the recommendation and at lunch I noticed Lowe's had 30# bags of their Sta-green "rapid" gypsum on clearance for $0.56/EA. Bought 8 of their last 10 bags.

Bag-rate for "corrective application" is 12#/M; 8 bags would be 2 apps for my 10M of lawn.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 30th, 2017, 9:20 pm

That's a heavy soil and the bar is high. Don't let some of the minus numbers bother you. I can't explain the Calcium and Magnesium stiff. The ph I'll take a guess was temporarily depressed by 2" (really?) of compost.

I'm betting either 2016 or 2017 is an outlier. Discontinue the SOP (the number is now good) and continue the rest -- let's see what we get when the dust settles. OK with you?

micvog

Post by micvog » April 30th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Thanks Andy! I am still reading up on TEC and pH so this is OK with me. I'll keep the SOP in the basement, and give the gypsum to my father-in-law.

Continuing "the rest" would be:
- Bag-rate apps of Milorganite in May, June, August (for the N, P, and OM)
- 20 Mule Team detergent at 2 TBSP/K, 2 apps 60-days apart (for the B)
- Frequent BLKH and BLSC
- Preventative biofungicide regimen starting in a few weeks
- Urea regimen starting early September

Unless it is a problem, I will probably also add 20#/K of ground corn in a few weeks for the reported help with soil tilth and trichoderma.

Thanks again!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 30th, 2017, 10:17 pm

No problem!

The Trichoderma are yelling "PARTY!!"

micvog

Re: Thanks Andy!

Post by micvog » July 4th, 2017, 8:59 am

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to Andy! The lawn has dramatically improved over the last year thanks to you, and the many contributors to this forum.

The attached shots are not re-touched (except for blurring of my address), but they were taken in ideal circumstances. It was sunny at the time, but a storm was approaching from the north, and the lighting made the colors pop.

micvog

Post by micvog » July 4th, 2017, 9:01 am

Here are pictures taken at the end of May from last year, about 13 months ago and about when I started my ST6 Plan:

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 4th, 2017, 9:14 am

That looks very nice. Glad ST6 could help, but it's your sticking to the plan that made it work!