Drawz Soil Test 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
drawz
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Drawz Soil Test 2017

Post by drawz » April 26th, 2017, 5:50 pm

Front yard is about 1200 sq ft, south facing and almost full sun. About 1/3 is a mini reno in Fall 2016 with a Pennington TTTF/KBG mix. The other 2/3 is unknown, but seems to contain a large portion of fine fescue (I think). There is a side walk in front with hell strips in front of that. The hell strips were not sampled. A snow cat that clears the sidewalk often causes damage to the front lawn over the winter.

Back yard is about 2300 sq ft. facing north. Half of it was torn up in summer/fall 2016 during a garage renovation project. The original top soil was saved and replaced at the end of the project. This half was reseeded by the contractor with a Lesco Park Sun & Shade mix, which Google indicates is an equal mix of PRG/KBG/FF. It came in a bit thin in many areas IMO. Also of note, there is an in-ground swimming pool that was filled in 15 years ago by the previous owner in this area. The rest of the backyard is the original unknown northern lawn mix. The backyard is a mix of sunny and shady areas, surrounded by a couple oak trees, a birch tree, and a row of arbor vitae.

The previous owners went all organic and didn't seem to use the irrigation system much. Despite a fair amount of weeds, it looked decent when we moved in summer 2015.

I have an irrigation system with a smart controller (Rain Machine) that adjusts watering based on weather. Other than during the partial renos last fall, I typically water 2x/week and let the controller adjust the amount based on weather. There are some areas of uneven coverage unfortunately.

I mow at 3" typically and mow as needed to avoid cutting more than 1/3, but sometimes get a little lazy.

Goal is a green, mostly weed-free lawn, with a moderate level of input. Simple and time-efficient solutions are preferred. When possible, I try to limit herbicide use in the backyard because of the kids, but am willing to use them some. Anything is fair game for the front. I'm "competing" with a professional landscaper across the street :duel: :roll: :D

Soil test from Logan Labs:

drawz

Re: Drawz Soil Test 2017

Post by drawz » April 26th, 2017, 7:42 pm

I should also mention the side of the house is included in the "back" yard, but it is lower and more shaded, and as a result tends to stay wetter than the all other areas. It has a lot of moss growing currently.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 3rd, 2017, 9:47 am

That's a very nice soil!

Both zones are pretty similar - if you wanted to do one test on both in the future it would be fine, and contribute to your ease of maintenance objective.

The work the previous owners did organically is apparent - you have nice Organic Matter levels in both zones. 8% is incredible. 6% is very good! So, that's in your favor! But you know how we talk here - keep mulch mowing, mulching leaves in the fall, etc - to maintain - unless you have a fungus you're trying to avoid spreading.

The TEC of ~8 indicates a nice loam soil in both zones - lots of exchange sites, and it should hold onto nutrients quite well - particularly with that OM level. It wouldn't surprise me if your high OM has a lot to do with that TEC, and it in fact may be sandier than it appears. Normally we recommend a deep and infrequent watering habit - an inch a week all at once - but you may need to tweak from there out.

The major cations are slightly out of line from where we'd like them. The Ca and Mg are good, but the K is out of the ratio in both.

Can you source Sulfate of Potash (SOP 0-0-50)? YOu may need to look at a crop production services, co-op, garden specialty, or golf turf supplier. Apply SOP @ 2 lbs / K May, June, and around Labor Day. The pH is in a very good spot for both areas, so we'll look not to push them up.

I do note your sodium is higher in the front. If you are getting snow cat traffic, you might be getting some extra salt from winter roads washing into it. In your case, the front zone also has a slightly higher Magnesium (Mg) level too. If the salt is getting washed there, a light application of gypsum (say 5 lbs / K rate) in those areas may help displace some of that Mg and bind up the sodium, which might ever-so-slightly tweak your ratio as well to the better.

Phosphorus is luxurious, and Iron is good.

So, that really only leaves Nitrogen for you. Since you're new, I'll recommend a simple approach, using urea (46-0-0) The same place you find that SOP, probably has urea - and it's quite inexpensive at the right places - ~$20 per 50 lb bag. Apply 2 lbs / K Memorial Day(ish), late August, September, October (before avg first frost date). Apply 2 lbs / K when top growth stops but root growth continues (search for winterizing) Urea can be mixed and applied with the SOP for application, no problem. Water it in with your nice irrigation system afterwards - urea has no coating and can burn foliage, particularly in the heat.

So - that's about it ! Hopefully that's simple enough :)

drawz

Post by drawz » May 5th, 2017, 10:34 pm

HLG - thanks for the analysis! I am pleasantly surprised with the results. I attribute the high OM to this being a 95 year old house with at least 95 years of leaves, grass clippings, rabbit poop, etc. Next time, I think I will sample the area over the filled-in pool separately since that soil is definitely newer than everything else.

For now, I like the plan. I'll see what I can do to source SOP. What is typically the impact of low K?

I didn't sample the hell strips that would pick up most of the road salt, although some areas of the front lawn likely gets some salt from sidewalk clearing. Maybe some gypsum along the edge of the front lawn and over the hell strips.

Last question - I'm curious about the choice of urea as the primary means of N delivery? Why not Milorganite or other organic source? I feel like the organic route is pushed more commonly here, except for winterization. Having previously burned a section of lawn, it also makes me just slightly nervous. I did hunt for urea last fall and managed to find it at the local Agway ($35/50lb), so I know I can get it if that's the way to go.

drawz

Post by drawz » May 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Struck out at Agway looking for SOP. Any other suggestions in eastern MA?

Did find urea as I did last fall, but still wondering about Milorganite vs urea. Seems like everything else posted here points to Milo being a better choice (except for winterization).

g-man
Grass Type: Mix (mostly KBG)
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by g-man » May 11th, 2017, 7:40 pm

^ most of us like Milo over urea. Urea is way cheaper to provide lb of nitrogen/k.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 11th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Milo will work just fine for N, but I'd look into Baystate - it's a local alternative that can be had less expensively.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with eastern MA - but places like Crop Production Services, Residex, Advanced Turf Solutions are places I know of that have this type of product.

drawz

Post by drawz » May 11th, 2017, 10:28 pm

Ok thanks guys. The lawn isn't that big, so Milo isn't going to break the bank :) I wish Baystate were more widely distributed. Getting in and out of Quincy during business hours is a little tricky for me. I'll keep looking for SOP.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 11th, 2017, 10:54 pm

drawz wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm
Try Valley Green in Wilmington, MA, or Charleton, MA, depending on which way you travel from home base.
TSP/SOP in Mass.?
Sources for SOP 0-0-50?
Located SOP in SE MA!

drawz

Post by drawz » May 16th, 2017, 9:57 pm

TimmyG wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 10:54 pm
drawz wrote:
May 11th, 2017, 5:24 pm
Try Valley Green in Wilmington, MA, or Charleton, MA, depending on which way you travel from home base.
TSP/SOP in Mass.?
Sources for SOP 0-0-50?
Located SOP in SE MA!
Thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to checkout Valley Green anyway.

drawz

Post by drawz » May 30th, 2017, 8:37 am

I gave up and ordered 30lbs SOP from Kelp4Less for $45 after coupon. I have no idea when I'd be able to make it up to Valley Green and didn't want to delay any further. I plan to drop Milo today at approx 1.5x the bag rate (2 x 36lb / 3500 sq ft).

drawz

Post by drawz » June 16th, 2017, 11:00 am

SOP went down this morning at approx 2lb/K as specified. Gypsum went down in the areas where snow gets piled up from snow plows & snow cats.

I have to admit, I'm not crazy about the SOP from Kelp4Less - the granules were quite large and would jam the chute of my spreader in the open position. I'm not sure how well those large granules will break down, but we'll see. I also found a previous post that recommended a setting of 4.5 on Scott's broadcast spreader, which worked well.

The gypsum I got from Amazon ended up being a powder, which surprised me. So I just spread it by hand.

Hoping rain will water it all in later this afternoon.

Starting to get what I think is fungus in the front. Planning on a spray application of propiconazole in the next week or so.

TimmyG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » June 16th, 2017, 12:33 pm

drawz wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 11:00 am
The gypsum I got from Amazon ended up being a powder, which surprised me. So I just spread it by hand.
Lowe's now reliably carries Sta-Green Rapid Gypsum. And it's cheap. And it ships free with a mylowes account.

drawz

Post by drawz » June 16th, 2017, 3:51 pm

TimmyG wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 12:33 pm
drawz wrote:
June 16th, 2017, 11:00 am
Lowe's now reliably carries Sta-Green Rapid Gypsum. And it's cheap. And it ships free with a mylowes account.
Good to know! Very cheap! I paid that much for 5 lb at Amazon. How often should it be applied? Every spring to recovery from winter salt damage?