Marinegrunt's 2017 Soil Test Result

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Marinegrunt's 2017 Soil Test Result

Post by Marinegrunt » May 10th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I received my soil test back today. My whole yard is currently grass free due to leveling. I'm planning a fall seeding so I have a little more than 3 months to make any amendments that are recommended. I'm new to this so any help will be appreciated.

I took a picture of the result pdf off of a tablet. It seems to look fine once you click on it but please let me know if you have trouble seeing it. I wasn't sure of a better way of posting it.

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Marinegrunt's 2017 Soil Test Result

Post by andy10917 » May 20th, 2017, 10:52 am

That's a sandy loam with a poor-to-mediocre OM profile. It has a few real challenges.

In the cations, the Calcium and Potassium are low, and the Magnesium is out of proportion. We can try to correct that if you're willing to try a Gypsum program, and it will help if the soil is "tight" or seems compacted. Let me know. The end result of the cations is a (high) pH of 7.6.

For the Potassium and Phosphorus shortages, start with the easy approach - balanced fertilizers like 10-10-10 or 19-19-19. Choose one and post the NPK for app rates and frequency.

The Iron is somewhat low. At your pH, it's not easy or cheap to fix unless you have the time to do FAS applications every 3 weeks or so. Do you? The Manganese is also higher than the Iron, which is a problem - since you can't remove Manganese, the only add Iron as a solution.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 20th, 2017, 6:14 pm

Thanks Andy. I appreciate everything you do for all of us. I know you replied to a lot of soil test results today so I'll try and keep it short.

Out of the trees I cut down more than 20 were pine so I wonder what impact they had on the soil. I think any topsoil eroded over the years too. I'll pretty much do anything to improve the soil short of hauling in new topsoil. I'll do all I can to improve the o.m. in the future.

The soil does seem tight. I can walk on the yard a few hours after a good amount of rain and I hardly get any mud on my shoes. I'll definitely do the gypsum.

I know I saw some 13-13-13 the other day at the store so let's plan on using that.

Twenty Mule Team it is.

I will do the FAS also. I did a little googling on it but have to do more. I have some options for things locally but will order online if need be. I'll get whatever is recommended.

Thanks again!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 20th, 2017, 6:36 pm

The idea that pine trees, pine needles, etc cause acidic soils is an old-wifes tale. So, unless you have a serious older-babe fantasy going, leave the pine tree theory behind. Now, as the root/stump starts to really rot, it may tie up Nitrogen and the soil may go acidic for a while (true of any tree) but it goes neutral over time.

For Gypsum, any amount up to 30 lbs/K every 60 days is productive. If it's fast-acting gypsum, follow the label.

For the 13-13-13, it's 7.5 lbs/K, monthly except July.

For the FAS, read the Iron article in the Articles area -- it's the best compilation.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 20th, 2017, 8:56 pm

My wife is a couple years older but no older babe fantasy going on here. Good to know that the pine tree theory is a wives take. Heck, there are professional gardeners that talk about it. I think a HGTV show could be your next calling Andy.

I took a grinder to the stumps and then ripped out what little was left along with most of the roots. There were so many stumps I didn't want to risk a bunch of settling down the road.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on the iron article. I found what I need to order online.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 20th, 2017, 9:12 pm

Two points:

1. The soil will settle anyway
2. The FAS foliar is very powerful. Start slowly.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 20th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I just want to verify some info on the FAS and then I'll leave you alone. Well, at least for now.

Our yard is currently completely dirt. No grass at all. I will be seeding with Hogan's tttf + 10% NuGlade come mid August. Is the FAS mainly for foliar application? If adding it now will help the iron deficiency in the soil should I still just do the recommended 2 oz per 1000 sq/ft for tttf or would I benefit from hitting it with more like the 4 oz/k?

I saw your post on the Duff's wing sauce. I used to order Anchor Bar sauce and we all loved it. Is Duff's that much better? My daughter and I enjoy trying different wings and or sauces. My wife hates wings or anything even remotely hot so wing night is our thing.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 20th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Anchor has changed so many times that it is now literally airport food (at Buffalo International). Duff's is still original and looks like a 1960s low-slung stripper bar and only has like 15 tables. but few question that it is the best today. I love spicy food to the point of crying and banging on the table, but don't start with anything past their HOT. The Suicide level is plain ridiculous hot but you can no longer taste it.

Oh yeah, FAS is mostly for foliar feeding. There are instructions for soil drenches if I remember the content right...

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » May 21st, 2017, 11:47 am

When I first purchased Anchor Wing Sauce I had been searching online trying to find the best. One of the main reason I bought it was because of the story behind the sauce. I pictured some small Ma and Pa family ran bar in a blue collar neighborhood in Buffalo. I knew it wasn't actually like that anymore but airport food? Looks like I'll be ordering some Duff's. I know business are there to make the best profit they can but I hate seeimg them loose their roots in the process. Duff's sounds like a place my wife wouldn't like so I know I would. That's what I was looking for when I first ordered Anchor.

You're tougher than me. I've always enjoyed hot food but I can't do the real hot stuff anymore. I have to take a heartburn pill everyday regardless of what I eat and have since I was 20. I could eat the hot stuff then except for the table banging stuff. I mainly stick with mild now but still have to double up on the heartburn pill.

I'll see what I can dig up on an FAS soil drench. If anything I'll just hold up on the iron until next spring. I was just hoping to get a jumpstart on the soil but I'm guessing a few months of apps before seeding won't do much anyways.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 16th, 2017, 7:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 20th, 2017, 6:36 pm

For Gypsum, any amount up to 30 lbs/K every 60 days is productive. If it's fast-acting gypsum, follow the label.

For the 13-13-13, it's 7.5 lbs/K, monthly except July.

For the FAS, read the Iron article in the Articles area -- it's the best compilation.
Can I please get some application rates for the FAS? I'm assume I'll get the Scott's Moss stuff which I believe is 30% iron.

I read the iron article but it seems to apply to liquid. I don't mind using a liquid if I need to but found out in another post I should probably use granular. I won't be starting until spring but want to work on sourcing what I need.

Thank you

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 16th, 2017, 7:13 pm

FAS is Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate, and Scott's Moss Killer is Ferrous Sulfate. Different things for different purposes. Which are we talking about?

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 16th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Sorry, I guess we're talking Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate because that's what you recommended. I'll mix up Ferrous Sulfate and Ammonium Sulfate to get my Ferrous Ammonium Sulfate. I'll then spray 2 oz/k diluted in a gallon of water every 3 weeks on my TTTF.

The article mentioned a surfactant. Since this is more of a soil drench should I leave it out?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 16th, 2017, 8:59 pm

A soil drench on a pH 7.6 soil is a nonstarter,

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 26th, 2017, 8:04 pm

I received my Ferrous Sulfate and Ammonium Sulfate today. It sounds like now is a good time to apply the FAS for good winter color. Is it okay to apply to areas where grass is only 30 days old or should I just wait until spring?

I'm also curious if my fas treatments are only to supplement the iron to temporarily darken the grass or will it eventually be a long-term or permanent solution to the low iron?

My grass still needs to thicken up so I'm mainly wanting to apply it if it'll help towards the long term iron level. I guess it would be nice to have some nice color through winter too but it's not a huge concern right now.

Thanks

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 26th, 2017, 8:09 pm

My grass still needs to thicken up so I'm mainly wanting to apply it if it'll help towards the long term iron level.
Nope. Foliar is a cosmetic, short-term thing.

Marinegrunt

Post by Marinegrunt » October 26th, 2017, 10:35 pm

Do you think my iron will ever level out as long as I stick to my soil recommendations and continue to add as much om as possible or is my soil just crap?

Thanks for your help Andy.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 26th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Your soil isn't that terrible. Your main challenge is the pH when we discuss Iron - you can have tons of Iron and none of it is available at pH 7.6. Milorganite/Bay State or chelated Iron are the only ways to make the Iron available - and chelated Iron isn't cheap. You can do foliar FAS, but that is an every-3-week commitment. Ugh.

Your Iron numbers aren't bad - just unavailable. And no, Sulfur won't fix it.