Lawnct Soil Sample results 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Lawnct
Grass Type: Typical northern mix but overseeded in 2016 with TTTF.
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Lawnct Soil Sample results 2017

Post by Lawnct » May 10th, 2017, 5:44 pm

I have been reading this forum for about a year now and decided to join the queue to get my soil analyzed.

I live in central Connecticut. I have been at this house for 18 years. The grass for most of that time I would categorize as typical Northern mix of fescue, rye and some KBG. My maintenance plan had been has been to put down Haltz crabgrass preventer around April 1 and then the Scotts 4 step plan. I would spot treat weeds with Weed-B-Gone. In the fall I would aerate. I do not have irrigation system and for the most part depended on Mother Nature to supply the water. In the summer I would run 2 oscillating sprinklers but would not be smart about watering due to my lack of knowledge.

My lawn has always been just ok. I like to keep it looking nice and mow high. Up until last year I only overseeded once in my 18 years here. My lawn looked ok from the road but as you walked on it, it looked thin. There were only a few spots in the lawn that were that lush dense grass I so desired. So after reading this forum I decided last fall to do a serious overseeding.

September of 2016 I aerated as usual and then I rented a slit seeder. I purchased from United Seeds SuperTurf II LS. This is a Turf Type Tall Fescue and Bluegrass Mix. Approx 92% Tall Fescue and 8% KBG. I also applied Scotts 32-0-4 fertilizer at same time. I followed the watering recommendations that I found here and I was happy with the results. The grass for the most part filled in nicely. Got some nice compliments from people walking their dogs. In October of 2016 I put down Scotts TurfBuilder 32-0-10.

My lawn is 13,000sq ft. I sampled 2 areas of my lawn. A front area and a side lawn area. The side lawn area is 2900sqft. This side lawn parcel has a dogwood tree on it that shades about a third of this area. The area in this shade part is ok, but a bit thin in parts. The part of the side lawn that gets full sun is awesome. It is nice and thick. This side yard has some Zoysia grass in it that has been the bane of my existence. Every winter it gets that straw color and it covers an area of about 500sqft. However, this past winter something interesting occurred. There was hardly any discoloration of the grass in that area. There were only a couple very small patches that turned color. I'm assuming my overseeding was the reason why since nothing else changed from previous years. I don't know how Zoysia relates to the TTTF grass so any guidance on that would be appreciated. At one point I was considering nuking that Zoysia and starting over.

The front yard area is 5,000sqft. Some of this area gets partial shade however there is an area of the front that gets no shade. This is the area I sampled because I am having a hard time getting the grass to thicken up here. It is thinner here than the rest of the lawn and not growing as fast. This area is about 30ft x 40ft . The soil sample that I labeled as Front Yard was taken from about 6 different areas of this area.

I have done the following in 2017:
4/3/17 Put down Lesco 19-0-7 Crabgrass Preventer w/Dimension.

I have been spot treating Dandelions and some clover in yard with Weed-B-Gone Chickweed, Clover & Oxalis.

My lawn in the past has had some areas of clover that I have spot treated. I also have some wild violets that I keep at bay with spot treatments. Unfortunately I have neighbors who don't deal with their dandelions so each year it seems I have more and more to deal with.

My goal with my lawn is to try and get it to thicken up in the parts that are thin. I am open to doing any maintenance recommended. Thank you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Lawnct Soil Sample results 2017

Post by andy10917 » May 21st, 2017, 8:40 am

The soils vary from a little on the sandy side in the Front to a nice Loam on the Side. The TEC's confirm that they are similar soils with higher OM numbers on the side. The OM number in the Front is mediocre, and could use a fair amount of organic matter.

With a pH of 7.0 we don't want to push too much. Don't use any Lime. You'll need to locate Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it at 2 lbs/K until September.

Phosphorus is at luxury levels. Iron is moderately lacking, and you should should consider Milorganite as the availability of Iron is falling at your pH. Milorganite can be applied monthly until Labor Day, when you should pixk and follow one of the Fall Nitrogen Regimens.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

Lawnct

Post by Lawnct » May 21st, 2017, 9:15 am

Thanks Andy! I'm on it.

Lawnct

Post by Lawnct » May 25th, 2017, 9:10 am

andy10917 wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 8:40 am

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.
I made my first pilgrimage yesterday to Quincy MA and met Carl. He mentioned the interest in his product has exploded since being mentioned on this forum. Yesterday he said I was fortunate because he didn't have much product left to sell at the moment since he was waiting for the guy who provides the plastic bags to get him more.

As per your instructions I am going to put down Bay State monthly until Labor Day so that will be now, end of June, end of July, end of August. I have the 20 mules ready to go and will mix in with the Bay State as per the Micro App guide. Your application timing for the 20 mules was every 60 days but I'm not clear for how long to continue that this year.

I'm putting down those 4 applications of Bay State, so should I just apply the 20 mules twice- now and then end of July? Or continue with a 3rd application end of September with another carrier?

Thank you.