Soil conditioning Help

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Soil conditioning Help

Post by smast16 » May 11th, 2017, 2:02 pm

So the previous owners who lived there for 15 years never did anything with the yard. And i mean nothing, not even mowing it. It was overgrown with trees and shrubs. here is a picture of what it used to look like before it was flipped.

I have a soil sample on it's way to LoganLabs and i'll post the results for interpretation when i get them. But just reading on this site, micro nutrients is only part of the equation. I am looking for help on soil conditioning, as the soil a large section of the yard, is just sun baked concrete, i mean clay. It's so dry and harsh up there that 12 hours after a rainstorm, it's dry and cracked again. The grass i can get to grow is almost always looked curled and stressed . I have aerated, after a big soaking rain and the concrete, i mean clay, just laughs it off. I know alot of users here use Cracked Corn, Peatmoss, or Kelphelp + soil conditioner recipies to improve their soils. I know there is no simple cure, but what would be the best option for me to start breaking up this compaction and getting water back into the ground?

Many thanks to any advice thrown my way.