double_e5's Soil Test - 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
double_e5
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

double_e5's Soil Test - 2017

Post by double_e5 » May 12th, 2017, 2:30 pm

After lurking for awhile I decided to get a soil test done and take advantage of this great resource.

Here is a little background:

I just purchased a home this spring. I have about 9,500 sq ft of northern mix that the previous owner took decent care of (I do have some weed issues, but other than that it is in pretty good shape). I am currently mowing at 3.25" and will begin irrigating the recommended 1" per week once it gets a littler dryer around here. My goal is to have nice solid 7-8/10 lawn and like to take the best approach to get there.

Here is my soil test:

Thanks in advance.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: double_e5's Soil Test - 2017

Post by andy10917 » May 21st, 2017, 11:56 am

Not too much to do on this soil - it isn't in trouble in most areas, and is built on a solid base...

The soil is a slightly heavy (TEC = 13) with a great 5+ OM% number. That's quite solid.

In the cations, there is a lot of the nutrients because of the TEC. That means that the slightly low Magnesium number is offset by a slightly high Potassium number. Take your good fortune. The end-result is a very nice pH of 6.5. No Lime.

Are you getting the theme here?

A few action items:

The Phosphorus is low, and you should either supply your Nitrogen as Starter fertilizer (which contains Phosphorus), or supplement with Triple Superphosphate. If you have a decision on that, I can provide numbers if you choose a Starter and post the NPK.

The Iron is also lacking moderately. Apply 3 lbs/K of Ferrous Sulfate every 60 days.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

double_e5
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by double_e5 » May 22nd, 2017, 9:36 pm

Andy,

Thanks again for doing this.

I'd like to supplement with TSP if I can find a source in my area. Working on that now. I've been doing a bit of reading around here and am guessing the TSP apps at about 2 lbs/K monthly. Is that about right?

Also, what should the spacing be between Milorganite/ferrous sulfate/TSP apps?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » May 22nd, 2017, 10:21 pm

There are no serious negative reactions between those products. 2 lbs/K per month would be the right amount, but don't use any products with a high-middle number at the same time.