Cptcameron soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Cptcameron
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Cptcameron soil test

Post by Cptcameron » May 16th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Here are the results to my soil test. I am new here and I am still working through the site. I sent my Grass to the coop extension. I thought I had Bermuda, but they are telling me I have st Augustine. So, now I am adjusting everything, and trying to learn about the new grass type. I have several questions, but was told here to do a soil test 1st. So here it is, please, any help is greatly appreciated. I have about 20,000sq feet and the grass is really sporadic as I have killed all the weeds. I am cutting the grass at 1 1/2 inches and watering 1 inch every week.
Please if I am not posting correctly, have patience with me,as I adjust to this site. If I am doing something wrong, it isn't on purpose..

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Cptcameron soil test

Post by Marinegrunt » May 16th, 2017, 4:11 pm

Just be sure to post a link back to this thread in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue thread. That gets you your place in line.

Welcome to the forum!

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 17th, 2017, 8:13 am

Well, after posting pictures on here of my grass, I am now told I have Bermuda.. haha.. Sorry, I forgot to add my location. I am in eastern NC, Greenville to be exact.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » May 22nd, 2017, 9:40 am

Welcome to the site!

You have an acidic soil with pH of 5.6 that is sandy (TEC 4.45) and low in Organic Matter (OM) :)

So, you may need to adjust your watering habits for a sandy soil that doesn't hold onto water very long - play with it and see what works to keep it top notch. An inch a week is the general guideline - nice work there! :)

Organic matter will retain moisture and nutrients. On 20K that's a lot, but mulch mow, mulch leaves in the fall - add any free sources if you can. It takes many thousands of lbs to move this a little.

In the major cations, you are mostly low in Calcium (Ca). Magnesium (Mg) is slightly low, K maybe low.

Phosphorus is very good. Iron is good, and available to your plants.

So - the plan isn't too bad for you. Read the Bermuda Guide, live it, love it.

Apply a good calcitic lime (Mag-i-cal, encap, or solu-cal) every 90 days mixed with 2 lbs / K of epsom salts. Mag-i-cal and encap are applied at 9 lbs / K. Solu-cal is applied @ 12.5 lbs / K. That's 3 applications this year. This should bump up your Ca and Mg levels and elevate that pH over time.

Can you find a high N, with K, no-P fertilizer to use for your Bermuda Guide feedings? Something like this 32-0-10 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sta-Green-15M- ... 1000140089. Basically a fertilizer with as low a middle number as possible with higher N than K value. We want to boost K while supplying N, but we don't need P. Brand doesn't matter. Whatever we use here will need spaced apart two weeks from the lime / epsom salts. We'll apply this monthly in place of the Bermuda Guide Nitrogen program.

Post the NPK of what you find for application rates and we'll finish this up:)

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 22nd, 2017, 10:02 pm

Thank you very much for this detailed analysis. I am still new and trying to translate what you wrote into layman's terms... lol. I was in a car accident today so I am going to take a better look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes and mind. Thank you again for your quick response!!

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 23rd, 2017, 7:09 pm

Here are the NPK that I found.. thinking the scotts turf builder looked like the best match. Found pelletized dolomitic limestone in 40lbs bag by weaver... they also had Fast acting lime by Pennington...

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 23rd, 2017, 7:18 pm

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 24th, 2017, 4:49 pm

I am having a hard time finding the calcitic lime.. I read some mixed reviews on here about the Pennington fast acting lime. Would the Pennington be acceptable, or should I keep searching for the listed ones(encap, mag-I-cal, solu-cal)... I will try not to bother you all after this, I think I can stay to the plan listed and love, live the Bermuda bible..

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » May 24th, 2017, 8:34 pm

It appears from the more-recent analysis that the Pennington product has switched from a calcitic to a dolomitic source. In your case this might be OK, but we'd adjust the Epsom Salt amount to adjust for the Magnesium in the product. Let use know the percentages of Calcitic and Magnesium and we'll see what we can do.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Experienced

Post by TimmyG » May 24th, 2017, 9:14 pm

Cptcameron, if your local Lowe's is out of stock of Sta-Green Rapid Lime, have it shipped for free!

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 25th, 2017, 12:16 pm

This is what I was able to get. $20 a bag... I got 4 bags for 20,000sq. Should I add the epsom salt to this? Any help is greatly appreciated. And thank you again for all your help and advice. I bought some Celsius while I was there, sheew this is getting expensive, but I know it will pay off in the end!!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 25th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Yes, add the Epsom to that.

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 28th, 2017, 8:19 am

I have applied the lime and the salt. Lightly watered and waiting on some rain. I just now remembered I have all this organically in my possession. We use to have a garden, and I have all this left over organic material. What to do with it?? I need organic matter on my yard from the analysis, should I mix this stuff all together and spread it on the yard? Sorry, I thought I was done with the questions, but it looks like I just struck some gold??

Looks like peat moss, mushroom compost, organic compost, black hen..

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 28th, 2017, 9:09 am

No need to rush and try to apply it all at once - just try to apply it regularly when you find time.

Don't expect miracles in the short-term -- it takes 20,000 lbs of later-stage material to move an acre of soil by 1% of organic material. You'll be raising the level for a long, long time.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 28th, 2017, 9:12 am

You may want to keep the peat moss for if you ever do a lawn renovation from seed, although with Bermuda, that's unlikely to ever be needed! (Peat moss is regularly used by folks here as a top-dressing when seeding for a lawn renovation.)

Oh, and by the way, when you say you "applied the lime and the salt" I presume you mean the epsom salt.

It helps to always refer to "epsom salt" as "epsom salt" rather than just "salt" -- there's always a danger that somebody else will read it and think you put regular "salt" on your lawn - like table salt or rock salt or water softener salt. The latter types of salt would all be detrimental to your lawn...

(You'll note that when Andy abbreviated "epsom salt" he just called it "epsom" to prevent confusion with typical salt, aka. sodium chrloride.)

Cptcameron

Post by Cptcameron » May 28th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Thanks Ken.. I will try to be more mindful of my posts in the future. Again, thank you all for the help.