Dad's Lawn 2017 - LawnCuttery

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
lawn_cuttery
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Dad's Lawn 2017 - LawnCuttery

Post by lawn_cuttery » May 17th, 2017, 6:04 pm

This soil test is from my dad's lawn, which was neglected for the better part of a decade since his home was built. It's a nomix (mostly p-rye/tttf) lawn, with a lot of weeds and thin/bare spots. I've finally convinced him let me start taking steps to get it back in shape, so of course a soil test is in order. Note, this yard is only a couple blocks away from me near Albany.

I submitted 2 samples to Logan, one for the entire yard (column 1) and the other from a small area (column 2) about 6'x10' in the backyard where new soil was brought in when the septic system d-box was dug up and replaced. This spot is mostly bare dirt, and last year the only thing that seemed to grow naturally in this area is creeping charlie. It's devoid of any grass or other weeds (although I have never dropped seed here) and therefore I feel the soil is not quite right for supporting normal plant growth. So I submitted a separate sample to investigate.

https://s15.postimg.cc/9no6i69sr/Dad_L ... esults.png

Looking over the results of this test, I must say I was expecting worse. However, the high calcium and low OM in the back sample stood out as possible clues of a problem with this imported soil.

This yard has always been a low-input yard on a hit or miss schedule of strictly synthetic Scotts fertilizers / weed&feeds. I want to gradually get it in shape over time, starting with soild amendments in advance of a small reno of the backyard area planned later this year. Overall, the goals are quite modest and we really just want something that looks nice, but no showcase lawn here.

The biggest question is to learn if I need to treat this spot differently or stick with one overall regimen. I am open to any use amendments that are needed, macros and micros. There is no irrigation system, unfortunately, so timing apps before decent rainfall will be key.

As always, thank you very much ST6 for reviewing this test and providing your feedback.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Dad's Lawn 2017 - LawnCuttery

Post by ken-n-nancy » May 17th, 2017, 8:59 pm

I'm not an ST6 member, but was intrigued by your description of the "small area devoid of any grass or other weeds" so I figured I'd take a look at the soil test for kicks.

From a soil test perspective, I don't see a big enough difference in anything that would suggest that the area needs to be treated differently. The calcium and potassium are higher than the remainder of the lawn, but not so different from the rest of the lawn that there would be a problem treating that section just like the rest of the lawn. You wouldn't want to apply lime to the "small area devoid of grass" but the rest of the lawn doesn't need calcium anyway, so that won't be in the plan. The ST6 interpretation will likely call for potassium fertilization via sulfate of potash on the rest of the lawn. The "small area" has adequate potassium already, so you could avoid applying additional SOP to that area this year, which would be trivially easy to do when spreading the SOP. In any case, I don't think that applying a little SOP to the "small area" would cause any harm -- the potassium isn't likely to displace any of the calcium or magnesium, but I don't know that for certain and am curious what the ST6 folks will suggest.

How long ago was the d-box replaced? If just last year, I wonder if the soil that was brought in had a pre-emergent applied to it? It may be that germination has been impeded (limiting most weeds) but the creeping charlie spread into the area, since a pre-emergent wouldn't stop it.

lawn_cuttery
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by lawn_cuttery » May 21st, 2017, 7:59 pm

Hi ken-n-nancy! The d-box repair was 3 years ago and no pre-m was ever been appied until spring 2017. The creeping charlie has a good hold in the back yard and for sure it spread and consumed this area too. As you probably know it likes to spread far and wide.

The strange thing was at last summer in this area it all died off on its own (without any herbicides) and left a big ole bare spot of dirt with dead roots above the surface. It really looked like someone torched it. So this is what initially made me think the soil had serious issues, but fortunately the test results seem to indicate otherwise.

I do want to thank you for commenting! Whether you're in line for the ST6 badge or not, I value your feedback and recognize k-n-n have put in some seriously impressive work around the yard over the years and do an amazing job documenting it. The trials and tribulations in your mini-reno thread are a great read, a real rollercoster! Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge, thoughts and lawn journey with us all.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2017, 10:20 pm

The soils are similar but interestingly different -- it's a Goldilocks thing. One is a little low in things and the other is on the higher side -- but of the same line.

Both of the soils are near the Sand/Loam line. The Front is a little on the Sandy side, the Back slightly on the Loam side. The Front is on the mediocre territory for OM, the Back in Poor area. All of this still means that as much OM as can be pushed goes into both.

In the cations, only Potassium in the Front needs attention now. Get Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply at 2 lbs/K monthly through September.

Sulfur is low, but I'm trusting the SOP's Sulfate may help that.

Phosphorus is abundant.

Iron is OK, too.

In the micro’s, it’s Boron and Zinc. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery) and Zinc Sulfate (Amazon/Ebay) and apply each at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

I'd consider the Fall Regimens for the Autumn - standard or aggressive.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » June 4th, 2017, 1:32 pm

lawn_cuttery wrote:
May 21st, 2017, 7:59 pm
The d-box repair was 3 years ago and no pre-m was ever been appied until spring 2017.
Hmm. So I have no good ideas on why grass or other weeds haven't grown in that area. If there is soil that gets reasonable sunlight but is devoid of plants other than creeping charlie after three years of being fallow, then something's wrong with that soil - probably some sort of contaminant or something that isn't showing up in the soil test.
lawn_cuttery wrote:
The creeping charlie has a good hold in the back yard and for sure it spread and consumed this area too. As you probably know it likes to spread far and wide.
Creeping charlie does like to spread and will definitely do so unchecked! As you probably already know from reading the site, a couple applications of triclopyr spaced 10-14 days apart should make a big dent in the creeping charlie. It may take a third or fourth to really eradicate it.
lawn_cuttery wrote:
I do want to thank you for commenting! ... Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge, thoughts and lawn journey with us all.
You're welcome! Alas, we've been so busy since about mid-fall last year that we haven't done a good job of keeping up with documenting our mini-renovations last fall and the ongoing saga of successes and failures in our lawn care. Maybe this month we'll be able to catch up a bit on that...