smast16 Soil Sample

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
smast16
Grass Type: Front: TTTF & KBG Back: Salad Bar
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

smast16 Soil Sample

Post by smast16 » May 18th, 2017, 11:29 am

Here is my soil sample for the front and side yard. Below is a little background information.

Prior to me purchasing the home in 2015, the yard was a jungle. The previous owners did nothing, and i mean nothing. No mowing or anything. They liked to throw trash and other things in the yard. (i'm still digging out old straws, stuffed animals with no stuffing, fish tank rocks, mattel toy cars, etc...). The southeast portion is heavily compacted (with a baked orange look) and will be dry within a day of a good rain. Taking the soil test was a chore to get to the 3-4 inch area. The northwest portion is looser, and holds / accepts water very easily, and was a breeze to dig down in. Whole area in question (front and side) is ~5000 sqft. I am wanting to correct micronutrients was well. I greatly appreciate the help you all give here!!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: smast16 Soil Sample

Post by andy10917 » June 2nd, 2017, 9:51 pm

What an interesting situation!!

The obvious things line up normally - the TEC's are nearly identical, the SE has the OM advantage (although both are fine) and the pH's are pretty close. So what explains the big difference you see/feel?

The base-saturation ratios. The Ca:Mg is 4:1 (very tight) in the SE, and over 7:1 (loose soil) in the NW. Compare that to your observations -- perfect match! Add more Calcium in both areas by applying good calcitic lime (Encap/Solu-Cal/Mag-I-Cal) at the "Heavy Rate" on the bag, every 90 days.

The Phosphorus and Potassium are both very weak. That's a recipe for a balanced fertilizer for a while, like 10-10-10 or 19-19-19. Get and post the NPK of a fertilizer you select, for app rates and frequency. Don't apply the fertilizer within two weeks of Lime applications.

The Iron in the NW is good, and weak in the SE. Milorganite and/or FAS foliar apps in the SE will help with color.

In the micro’s, it’s Boron and Copper. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery) and Copper Sulfate (Amazon/EBay), and apply each at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

smast16

Post by smast16 » June 2nd, 2017, 10:24 pm

Thank you so much Andy!

I went ahead and did my home work for fertilizers, and in the balanced ones I have triple 17 available. My question, being transition zone with cool season, how should I handle the ferts without missing good time to increase the P and K? I typically avoid anything except small rates of Milo till September, and sometimes I skip it all together if the stress is high enough.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 2nd, 2017, 10:33 pm

It's up to you. I can substitute TSP and SOP for the balanced stuff. I take July and the first half of August off (or a single light Vitamin M app).

It's you that will be marching around multiple times in the August sun. Are you up for it?

smast16

Post by smast16 » June 2nd, 2017, 11:01 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 2nd, 2017, 10:33 pm
It's up to you. I can substitute TSP and SOP for the balanced stuff. I take July and the first half of August off (or a single light Vitamin M app).

It's you that will be marching around multiple times in the August sun. Are you up for it?
A good sweat has never scared me away. Drop it on me Andy!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 2nd, 2017, 11:07 pm

Get Triple Superphosphate (TSP, 0-46-0) and apply it monthly at 2 lbs/K. Get Sulfate of Phosphate (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it at 2 lbs/K monthly.

Make your own decision about what to use (and when) for Nitrogen.

smast16

Post by smast16 » June 2nd, 2017, 11:20 pm

Last question, Can TSP and SOP go down together provided they are not within 2 weeks of calcium app?

Do you know if home Depot will rent me a cement mixer?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 2nd, 2017, 11:22 pm

Yes, you can do that