Mitten's Soil Test 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
mitten
Grass Type: Midnight, Diva, Everglade KBG, plus Fiesta4 PR and Zodiac Fescue
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Mitten's Soil Test 2017

Post by mitten » May 25th, 2017, 10:41 am

Here are my soil test results for 2017. I did a late Fall 2016 renovation on my 4,000 sq ft lawn. Here is my reno thread. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21491

I used the Sunny mix from Seed Superstore. So far I'm happy with the results and it's filling in nicely. This is my first Logan's Test. Last Spring I did a test through MSU so I will post those 2016 results as well for comparison sake. Thanks for your help!

mitten

Re: Mitten's Soil Test 2017

Post by mitten » June 7th, 2017, 9:56 am

Here are the nutrients I have put down on my renovation this year, all at Nitrogen 1 lb. /K.

April 1 - Scott's Starter Plus Weed Preventer
May 9 - 10-10-10
May 20 - Milorganite

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 8th, 2017, 10:06 am

I read a lot of MSU articles! My uncle actually employs a retired MSU prof to care for his turf at his house!

Anyways - on to the test!

That's a heavy soil with that TEC of 14.98. Probably a silty or clay-based loam. If you want to know, you can do the test in the soil management article or pay an extra fee next soil test.

The OM level is very nice. Very nice! Keep mulch mowing and mulching leaves of course, but nothing extra to work on here. This may be slightly inflating your TEC.

In the major cations, you have lots of Mg and Ca. You won't be able to get rid of that realistically, so we must live with it. The pH is sky high @ 8.0 as a result. The K is low.

The P is low too.

Iron will never be available at your pH, but the level would be fine otherwise.

Sulfur is maybe a smidge low here, and Sodium is ok level.

Since you've already sourced Starter Fert and balanced fert, we'll use that.

June - 10 lbs / K 10-10-10
August - 10 lbs / K 10-10-10
September - starter fertilizer @ bag rate

The above will help your P and K levels, and supply some N as well.

bag rate of milorganite monthly, 2 weeks from the fertilizer above. This is for Iron.

You'll get some sulfates from the balanced and starter fertilizers.

You will still need some more Nitrogen for September, early October, and winterizing. I would recommend some urea, which can be found at garden specialty and farm co-ops for around $15-$20 / 50 lb bag. A bag of that will last you a long time on 4K.

I'd put down 1 lbs / K the last 2 weeks of September (assuming you drop your starter fertilizer beginning of month) and the first week of October, then 2 lbs / K when top growth stops but roots are still growing to winterize. Search for winterizing here on the site. Water it in!

If you are looking for micros, andy will need to weigh in.

mitten

Post by mitten » June 16th, 2017, 10:38 am

Thanks for the plan HoosierLawnGnome! I was away on a trip so I wasn't able to respond until now. Yes, Go Spartans!

As you mentioned, my soil is very yard. My wife and I planted annuals last week for the first time and we both said "never again" after that. My pro-plugger wouldn't even break through the clay. Would something like Aerify-Plus help this? I know there are also homemade recipes on the forum that I could also make up. Realistically would this help? When it's dry I see quite a lot of cracks in some areas.

Should I try to lower the pH?

I'm curious to why you selected Starter rather than 10-10-10 in September? Just trying to learn!

Thanks again for your help!

mitten

Post by mitten » June 20th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Andy,
Would you recommend starting micros now or getting the basics established first?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)

Post by andy10917 » June 20th, 2017, 10:47 pm

The only micronutrient you need is Boron (no surprise - it leaches). Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

mitten

Post by mitten » June 21st, 2017, 6:36 pm

Thanks Andy. I like the $4 price tag on the micro. But why am I having trouble finding the Micro App Guide? I'm not seeing it in the articles or when I search.

While I'm at it, any thoughts on Aerify Plus to soften the clay?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 8:35 pm

But why am I having trouble finding the Micro App Guide?
Micronutrient Application Guide
What does "soften the clay" mean? And if you want to spend double what something is worth, I'll sell you a few cars. Otherwise, use the BLSC and KH.

mitten

Post by mitten » June 22nd, 2017, 9:55 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 21st, 2017, 8:35 pm
But why am I having trouble finding the Micro App Guide?
Micronutrient Application Guide

Thanks for the link. That helps.
What does "soften the clay" mean? And if you want to spend double what something is worth, I'll sell you a few cars. Otherwise, use the BLSC and KH.
Well I'd like to improve my TEC of course. I'm assuming my steps to doing that would be BLSC and KH? Anything else I can do or should that be my main focus?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 22nd, 2017, 10:03 pm

No. Surfactants and flocculants don't build TEC. Organic matter does. Add tons of chopped/mulched leaves, peat moss, compost, etc. It takes years, and even dedicated members are thrilled with a 0.5% increase in a year. Your OM is already high though, and there are no good hints in the test as to what would be making the soil hard to work.

Does it drain well?

mitten

Post by mitten » June 22nd, 2017, 10:07 pm

Okay, I will work on the organic matter. So a soil conditioner won't help with all the clay cracking and hard ground I'm experiencing?

mitten

Post by mitten » June 29th, 2017, 9:16 am

andy10917 wrote:
June 22nd, 2017, 10:03 pm
No. Surfactants and flocculants don't build TEC. Organic matter does. Add tons of chopped/mulched leaves, peat moss, compost, etc. It takes years, and even dedicated members are thrilled with a 0.5% increase in a year. Your OM is already high though, and there are no good hints in the test as to what would be making the soil hard to work.

Does it drain well?
Yes, my soil drains well surprisingly. It's just REALLY hard. I basically need a pick axe to plant any shrubs/flowers. There are also "fault line" like cracks in some areas. Will the soil conditioner improve that realistically? As you noted I have a really high OM already.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 29th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Will the soil conditioner improve that realistically?
The honest answer is we don't know - there is a good chance it will help some, but we can't guess at how well a solution will work when we don't know what the problem is (the data in the soil test does not point at a specific reason for soil hardness, in your case).

mitten

Post by mitten » July 21st, 2017, 10:08 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
June 8th, 2017, 10:06 am

June - 10 lbs / K 10-10-10
August - 10 lbs / K 10-10-10
September - starter fertilizer @ bag rate

The above will help your P and K levels, and supply some N as well.

bag rate of milorganite monthly, 2 weeks from the fertilizer above. This is for Iron.
I've been sticking with this plan. Just wanted to check in quickly. It's been really hot lately, should I stay the course with 10-10-10 around Aug 1? My yard is lighter colored than I'd like to see so I could probably use some fert. I noticed rust powder on my mower during my last mow. Ironically I just starting using Serenade a week before I saw rust...but I know I started it too late. Some Poa Annua is popping in too...

Also, I've been doing milorganite every month since April. When should I stop this?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 22nd, 2017, 7:15 am

Your "symptoms" that you describe don't seem to go together. Rust is typically a disease of low-growth/low-input situations, and that doesn't seem to match your regimen. Monthly apps of Vitamin M don't match poor color well either. And Poa Annua sprouting in July? Only likely if a cool summer coupled with light, shallow watering.

Which brings up the question: what's the watering regimen that you're using?

You seem to be looking for permission to hit that with 10-10-10 around 8/01. It's your lawn, but that's pretty early and only recommended if there is more to gain than there is to lose by doing so. I'd stay with the Vitamin M - I find it funny that you don't seem to see that as "real fertilizer". If you can, hold out the 10-10-10 until later August.

When to stop Milorganite? It can go all the way until the grass growth slows if you like. Look into whether the Fall Nitrogen Regimen is right for you after Labor Day.

mitten

Post by mitten » July 22nd, 2017, 9:30 am

Maybe I miss-diagnosed the Poa Annua? There are just a couple large patches of this is my reno. 10x10 areas that have the light green blades and just now going to seedhead.

I'm pretty sure I got the rust diagnosis right though, given the red powder on my mower and the grass blades themselves. Unfortunately I'm just starting Serenade apps so it's likely too late.

I really haven't done any evening watering this year. The last few weeks we've had a lot of infrequent heavy rain so It's been naturally irrigated recently. Otherwise it's deep watering once a week. Maybe I do need to kick up the watering given all the heat lately (and it's a new reno). The lighter color could be due to all the mysterious annual ryegrass dying off (no idea where this seed came from). There are dead brown stalks interspersed with beautiful KBG stalks.

I will hold the 10-10-10 until a little later in August. I was just wondering if I should stick to the plan outlined back in early June or adopt it to the recent weather.

mitten

Post by mitten » August 10th, 2017, 8:44 am

Just wanted to give a quick update. I'm still battling rust, which is weird given that I don't water at night and I have been doing decently heavy fertilizer this year on my '16 reno based on the regiment above. I started using Serenade late (early July). I've been applying it every 10 days or so and it hasn't stopped it yet.

I'm still not loving the color of my grass. It seems lighter than it should be. Would I benefit from using additional iron, or is what I have in Milorganite sufficient? I do have a high pH so I'm not sure if that's impacting it?