Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

2015 Logan Labs Report

Post by ronfitch » May 30th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Hello,

Attached is the 2017 soil report from Logan Labs for recommendations. Thank you in advance.

This is approx. 5k yard, sodded in November of 2010 (new construction - was farm land, though I do not know if crop land or pasture).

With luck - and attention - this time the correct Logan Labs soil test and not the 2012 one, which I posted last week (thanks, admin, for pulling that thread for me).

For the past five years, I start dropping Milorganite in May, take a break in early July and then back at it in August until the first week of September or so. Bag rate, usually every 2-3 weeks. The past three years, I have hit it with UREA for the winter, typically the very end of October/early November after top growth is done. Also hit with pre-Em for the winter and again in the spring.

After the 2015 report, Andy recommended adding gypsum at 30 lbs. per 1,000 in late May and again in early September and I did that again last year. Also, added SOP at 2 lbs. per 1,000 in May September in 2015 and again last year. Plus micros recommended by Andy after 2012 and 2015 soil tests (Boron and Zinc).

One change is last July I changed out the Hunter head unit on the irrigation system with a Rachio 2, which is synced with local Wunderground stations (plus the rain sensor on our own system). Before, I was already trying to water just once-a-week, deeply. With this, we have yet to see it in use this season, other than when I tested the system when bring it back from winter. It worked well last summer.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 2015 Logan Labs Report

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Ron, is there some reason to run Ammonium Acetate tests, other than your location? You don't need it.

The soil is a moderate Loam soil with a slightly-above mediocre OM%. Mulch those leaves, and anything else affordable.

The cations are OK except for the Potassium. You need to locate Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it at 2 lbs/K until September. The end-result is a nice pH that comes through the side door. Take it.

Phosphorus is great. Iron is very good.

We'll leave the selection if a good Nitrogen source to you.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

At least in the soil world, you've arrived, Ron!!

ronfitch

Post by ronfitch » June 11th, 2017, 7:59 pm

andy10917 wrote:
June 9th, 2017, 8:48 pm
Ron, is there some reason to run Ammonium Acetate tests, other than your location? You don't need it.

The soil is a moderate Loam soil with a slightly-above mediocre OM%. Mulch those leaves, and anything else affordable.

The cations are OK except for the Potassium. You need to locate Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) and apply it at 2 lbs/K until September. The end-result is a nice pH that comes through the side door. Take it.

Phosphorus is great. Iron is very good.

We'll leave the selection if a good Nitrogen source to you.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

At least in the soil world, you've arrived, Ron!!
Thank you, Andy. Getting it to this point is all on you and others here.

I requested the Ammoniun Acetate citations because of location, per the note in the sticky (Dalla and Twin Cities areas).

Twenty Mules is on hand, as is SoP from last season (stored dry and cool).

Thanks again.

ronfitch

Post by ronfitch » June 14th, 2017, 10:56 am

Here it is, btw. Photos of backyard taken this morning, after mowing/dropping milorganite with POS and 20 Mules per Andy's advice.

Four years of advice from this forum.

Thanks, folks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » June 14th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Nice!