Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
JaxBeachBermuda
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

2017_06_02 Soil Intreptation

Post by JaxBeachBermuda » June 2nd, 2017, 11:41 am

Hi ATY Soil Team,

I've attached a screen shot of my Logan Labs soil test results. Here's some background on my situation:

I have 1,250 sq/ft yard with Princess 77 Bermuda grass that gets full sunlight all day (7+ hrs) and 1 inch of water a week. I live on the coast in Jacksonville Beach, FL with very sandy soil. I have a weed infestation so I'm trying to get the grass to smother the weeds out. I'm looking to get the best results for my yard and look forward to a fertilizer schedule. Thanks in advance!
Ryan

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: 2017_06_02 Soil Intreptation

Post by andy10917 » June 11th, 2017, 10:33 am

Ryan, I know the Jax Beach area a bit - my brother lives in the Fruit Cove area. And yeah, the soil is sandy. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that the TEC is a respectable 8.5 (edging into the Loams). The OM is a mediocre 2.4% and adding lots of anything that raises OM would help.

In the cations, I don't think I've ever seen a Ca:Mg ratio as lopsided as you have. If you had headroom within the resulting pH (7.1), I'd monkey with it, but the Potassium is so low that we have to deal with that first.

Locate and apply 2 lbs/K of Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) monthly for the rest of the year. It's not easy to find.

Iron is good, and Phosphorus is at luxury levels.

In the micro’s, it’s only Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap from the grocery and apply it at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

I'll leave the choice of a Nitrogen source up to you, unless you request assistance there. Get 1 lb/K of N to that Bermuda in growing season.

I'm breaking my rule about not discussing herbicides within soil test discussions. You may want to look into Celcius for a great weed solution for your lawn. It's not cheap, but you'll have it forever.

JaxBeachBermuda

Post by JaxBeachBermuda » June 11th, 2017, 11:47 am

Thanks so much Andy! You truly are a yard wizard. Fruit Cove is about a half hour away from me, nice area.

I'll get to work on finding Sulfate of Potash, any advice on retailers or substitutes if I can't track it down?

Glad to be a first for you with the Ca:Mg lopsided-ness, just wish it wasn't such a bad thing.

I have the N covered, thanks for offering help.

Not to stray off topic but I picked up Celsius about a year ago and it's doing its work, I'm battling sedge right now and am going down the sedgehammer path. I had a thread in the forum for that, no need to discuss here. I broke my leg in Feb and I'm finally getting around to yard work again, missed my pre-em application this year and hence the weed problem.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 11th, 2017, 11:54 am

For the SOP, I have no idea for local sources for you. There are no real acceptable substitutes - Muriate of Potash is a Chlorine bath that I don't like for anything but rough, initial work. There are online sources for SOP, but shipping can be as high as the product cost. Try local first.

JaxBeachBermuda

Post by JaxBeachBermuda » June 11th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Thanks Andy! Time for me to get to work!

PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by PW405 » June 25th, 2017, 9:23 pm

Amazon appears to have Sulfate of Potash:
https://www.amazon.com/Pounds-Potassium ... +of+potash

Not sure if that one is acceptable, but figured I would mention it.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 25th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Not a very good deal. And it's a powder (doesn't go through the spreader well)

If you're looking online, consider the KELP4LESS product (granular).