DevilDawg81 Backyard Soil Report

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

DevilDawg81 Backyard Soil Report

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 13th, 2017, 10:39 am

Hey folks, I'm new to the site. I apologize now for being what probably will be last in the queue. I got my lab results back from Logan. I'm focusing primarily on my back yard for the time being. It's 4700 sq ft, and I've always just given it the 4 treatments per year with the big brand products. Until now. And that's all thanks to finding this site :D In years past I've used Penn State's soil results but it's not as in-depth as Logan.

I did apply crabgrass preventer earlier this year, and once I found ATY I applied Milo on May 24th @ bag rate. Nothing else since then. I may rennovate the entire back yard (right now it has a lot of quackgrass), but that probably will not be until 2018. We're looking into building a patio out back so I'll be focused on that more than anything. So I'm just trying to get the soil 'right.'

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: DevilDawg81 Backyard Soil Report

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » June 13th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Not a bad soil, really. It's heavier with the TEC of 11.32.

The Organic Matter (OM) level is mediocre at best. Mulch mow, mulch leaves - add free sources if you can. 4700 s.f. isn't too bad to make a few additions. Sawdust, used coffee grounds, neighbor's leaves - they all help but it takes a ton of materials and season so don't forget! :)

The major cations are fine on Ca, high on Mg, and fine on K. Higher on Mg, pushing that pH up. We will leave this alone for the most part. The result is an alkaline pH that won't come down, so learn to live with it.

The Phosphorus is quite low. The Iron is ok, but won't be usable with your pH.

So - what's the plan?

Milorganite, triple superphosphate (TSP 0-45-0), and a Nitrogen source of your choosing - I would recommend urea 46-0-0, but you may have to hunt a bit more at a garden specialty or farm co-op for it.

June, July, Aug, Sept, early Oct - 2 lbs / K TSP and milorganite at bag rate, two weeks apart
mid August (when heat breaks), September, October - 2 lbs / K urea
When top growth stops but roots are still growing (search for winterizer) - 2 lbs / K urea

Mixing the urea and TSP together is fine. Keep the milorganite a few weeks away from it.

Water in that urea after application!

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: DevilDawg81 Backyard Soil Report

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 13th, 2017, 3:40 pm

Thank you very much, HLG. I appreciate you looking at this and will get to planning on making a more suitable soil!