lowcountryboy's Soil Test - June 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
lowcountryboy
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

lowcountryboy's Soil Test - June 2017

Post by lowcountryboy » June 21st, 2017, 9:19 pm

Thanks in advance for the input and support in this process!

We are renovating a relatively small side yard with the rough square footage of 2000 ft2. Some of this will become beds, etc. I had the soil test run through Logan Labs and will present below. Location: Barrier Island, Charleston, SC.

The overall plan is to till about 1" organic compost (Charleston County has award winning compost) into the top 4" of soil. Some parts of the lot are solid as a rock at this point, due to the property being a rental for more than a decade. This is the only reason for tilling at all. Post-tilling, I will add in nutrients and compost and combine, roll, and seed. Cover will be completed with a small layer of peat moss.

Looking to seed with bermuda grass, but have not decided on the mix to use. Have access locally to "Panam Variety" seed. Any input on the soil amendments and grass seed would be much appreciated!!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: lowcountryboy's Soil Test - June 2017

Post by andy10917 » June 21st, 2017, 9:46 pm

If your soil test isn't in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue, it will never be looked at. Make sure to add a link to your test.

lowcountryboy

Post by lowcountryboy » June 22nd, 2017, 7:47 am

Had to wait for approval before it officially posted... Adding it now!
Thanks!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 6th, 2017, 9:33 am

Well, not too bad.

The soil shouldn't get in your renovation's way.

The TEC @ 10 indicates a nice loam with a good amount of exchange sites.

The OM is mediocre at best. If you are going to till in compost, incorporate as much as you can. It will be hard to "overdo" this with any realistic amount. 1 inch on 1 K isn't that much coverage.

Tilling in a lot of compost might bring that pH down just a smidge too, closer to where Bermuda REALLY likes it.

I'm not a levelling expert - but on Bermuda renovations I've always heard them say that tilling is not a good idea if you can avoid it - so heads up there on getting it level. On 2K doesn't seem like too much to get it there.

Keep working on that OM over the years - mulch mow, mulch leaves - you've probably heard it if you've been around here of course.

On to the nutrients.

Major cations are high in Calcium, showing low in Mg, and low in K - but they aren't bad. Mostly that Ca is skewing the ratio. I would like to see more K though.

You have a CRAZY high amount of Phosphorus (P). Nothing to do there.

Iron is at a healthy level, but your pH is going to get in the way of binding it up. That's another reason I'd like to work on that pH since you're already tilling.

And here's where I think you have a real opportunity: SULFUR.

The raw level itself isn't awful, but I am going to recommend tilling in a good elemental sulfur when you till up that soil and add compost. Tilling in sulfur is probably the best thing you can do for your lawn here long term since it's a great strategy for lowering pH - and your pH @ 7 is going to struggle with Iron uptake - it will free up that Iron you have and give you more options.

Finally - you'll need a good Nitrogen program. Read the Bermuda Guide of course. I will recommend urea, watered in after application of course.

So - what's the plan.

You'll need three things: elemental sulfur (or garden sulfur), urea 46-0-0, Sulfate of Potash (SOP 0-0-50), and milorganite (for now). Please make a note to use the good sulfur.

When you till it up, till it up at least 6 inches down. Mix in copious amounts of organic matter. Mix in 20 lbs / K of that elemental or garden sulfur. Till it all up and mix it well, water it well to settle it all down prior to seeding and level. Mixing in Sulfate of Potash and milorganite would also be beneficial.

Apply 1 lbs / K SOP 0-0-50 and 2 lbs / K Urea 46-0-0 when the Bermuda guide calls for feeding. This is normally every month while the turf is awake.

2 weeks off from the urea / SOP, apply milorganite at bag rate.

That's it. I'm hoping incorporating a good dose of sulfur and lots of Organic Matter into that area lowers it's pH a few tenths, but it's going to depend how much we can incorporate.

I am going to double check my sulfur recommendation for how much you can actually incorporate to get your pH down with the other gurus, but you will need a lot per K. Normally you can't put down more than 5 lbs / K an application or 10 lbs / K per year if you are surface applying it, but that all changes if you are tilling it in - you can go a lot heavier.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » July 6th, 2017, 9:41 am

Oh, and for Bermuda renovation advice - start a renovation thread. We focus on soil here. One point I've heard over and over there is to establish Bermuda from plugs or sod - seeding is very difficult. None of what I've recommended would change if you sod or plug instead of seed.

lowcountryboy

Post by lowcountryboy » July 6th, 2017, 10:40 am

Hoosier, thanks for the detailed interpretation!

I know I'm getting late in the season so I'll get moving on this! Have a running past in the renovation section but seems like I might be an anomaly being located on the coast in SC.

Unfortunately, the sod price I received was $250/pallet not including install... Just not for me right now.

Quick question re. soil... After applying the compost and tilling, the soil become extremely hard on the surface without any rain recently. Is this just due to it drying out? Should I continue to keep it moist leading up to seeding?

Thanks again!