Lonnie's Soil Test Results 2017

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Some Experience

Lonnie's Soil Test Results 2017

Post by Oldschool » August 1st, 2017, 9:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who helps with interpreting the soil tests. I greatly appreciate it.

Lawn was established in 2015. We bought the home in November 2016. This is the third summer for the lawn. I do not know what the lawn care regimen was by the prior owners.

The lawn is 100% Kbg (so I'm told). I do not know of any past tendencies. Since spring I have dealt with the typical broadleaf weeds and plenty of yellow nutsedge. The lawn greened up well in spring with some pink snow mold that quickly deteriated.

From first mow to June 15, HOM was 2 inches. From June 15 till present HOM is 3 1/2 inches. I mow four different directions alternating each mow. I mulch mow, cutting no more that 1/3 of blade length. I water deep and
infrequent. June 1 applied Milorganite 1 lb N/1000, July 1 applied Milorganite 1.5lbs N/1000 and August 1 applied Milorganite 1 lb N/1000.

My test includes separate results for "front" and "back" yard. Growth tendencies and visual appearance are different for front and back lawn. Which is why I chose to test separately.

Front lawn is 3,800 sq. ft. Front lawn receives 80-90% sun. Very little shade. Originally, a very large cottonwood tree encased the front of the property. Front showed no reaction to any of the Milo applications.

Back lawn is 12,200 sq. ft. It receives sun and shade. Some areas maybe 15% get all shade. Back lawn has a dozen
or more long pine trees. Back responds positively to water and Milo apps.

I would like a recommendation for "best" care practices. I would like the lawn to be thick, and green with healthy soil. My plan is to go organic. I have the time and the patience just need some facts and guidance.

Thanks again, Lonnie

Oldschool

Re: Lonnie's Soil Test Results 2017

Post by Oldschool » September 4th, 2017, 10:19 pm

It looks like you're inching closer to my soil interpretation so I thought I'd update what I've done since soil test posting:

August 1- applied 1lb N/k via Milo
August 13 - applied 1lb N/ k via Milo

It was after this second dose of Milo that I discovered the "fall nitrogen regimen".

I decided to initiate the aggressive regime. I was a little bit late based on my average first frost of September 11th.

August 24- 1lb/k Urea
August 31- 1lb/k Urea

I will continue the 1lb/k Urea till actual first frost. After which I'll embrace the pause then final app of 2lbs/k Urea after growth stops.

I'm aware I may have applied the slow release Milo a couple weeks later than I should have but hopefully it will spill before pause.

Again, thank you for all the help.
Lonnie

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 4th, 2017, 10:23 pm

Makes sense. Do you want me to concentrate the rest of the test as a 2018 plan?

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 4th, 2017, 10:24 pm

That would be great Andy

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 11th, 2017, 8:09 am

Andy,

Is there anything within my Soil report that contraindicates the use of blsc/kh. I would like to start applying before the season ends if appropriate.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 11th, 2017, 8:14 am

Andy,

Is there anything within my Soil report that contraindicates the use of blsc/kh. I would like to start applying before the season ends if appropriate.

Thanks,
Lonnie

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 12th, 2017, 10:37 am

Andy...got my question answered in the BLSC/KH forum.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2017, 8:25 am

Lonnie, Lonnie, Lonnie - what are we going to do with that soil?

It's a soil that might be OK and just full of nutrients naturally, or it might be trying to trick me. Normally, I have done enough tests for a geographic area that I know where the tricks are played, but I'm not really versed in a ton of Montana soils. There is a possibility that the soil is calcareous (so full of Calcium that the numbers get distorted for every else), but still it looks workable but very alkaline.

We've got a soil that's around pH 8.5, and that means that everything is tricky. The TEC shows a very heavy soil (substantial clay) and OM numbers between 4% and 6%+. If real, the clay and OM% numbers mean you'll hold the applied nutrients well.

With the Phosphorus numbers being low and the Potassium numbers being low relative to the massive Calcium and Magnesium numbers, I'd like to see a balanced fertilizer applied monthly next season. Choose a balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 or 19-19-19 and post the NPK for application numbers.

The Iron numbers are quite low and at your pH about the only ways to get Iron to be available is Milorganite and/or FAS foliar apps. That's probably why you saw a good reaction to Milorganite. Apply Milorganite as the budget allows off-cycle to the balanced fertilizer apps.

In the micronutrients, Boron and Zinc need work. Are you up for that?

So, let's wrap up with what I'd do overall. If the budget can handle it, I'd redo the Logan test in the Spring, but specify Ammoniun Acetate testing for the cations. That will determine if the numbers I see are real or distorted. In the meantime, do the Fall Regimen for the balance of this year and start with the above plan in the Spring.

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 24th, 2017, 8:56 am

Andy, Andy, Andy...I think I’m going to work this soil right to the sweet spot.

I’m new to Montana soil as well. Most what I’ve researched points to calcareous in my area caused from glacier effect. I’m at the mouth of the Glacier Natl. Park.

I will attest that it is clay. Soil never seems to dry. I recently began BLSC/KH applications and will continue next season.

I can source 10-10-10 and 16-16-16. I’ll be chasing best value. If I can source them, is SOP and TSP indicated in place of the balanced fertilizer? If so, I will go that route. If not, balanced fert works and Vitamin M is a no brainer for me.

Yes, I’m up for the micronutrients, Boron and Zinc.

I have only the winterizer app of urea remaining this season and will submit soil to LL’s in the spring for Ammonium Acetate testing.

Can’t thank you guys (ST6) enough for the help.

Lonnie

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2017, 9:15 am

I can source 10-10-10 and 16-16-16. I’ll be chasing best value. If I can source them, is SOP and TSP indicated in place of the balanced fertilizer? If so, I will go that route. If not, balanced fert works and Vitamin M is a no brainer for me.
Sure, you can do SOP and TSP if you'd like to search them out - 2 lbs/K each monthly April - September. You'll then need a Nitrogen supply, and Milorganite fits the bill. Consider late season Fall Nitrogen Regimen.
Yes, I’m up for the micronutrients, Boron and Zinc.
Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery) and Zinc Sulfate (Amazon/EBay), and apply each at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 24th, 2017, 9:35 am

Andy,

Does my current LL’s test indicate that I should continue to test “front” and “back” yard separately? Or can I combine for future tests?

Lonnie

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » September 24th, 2017, 9:41 am

They are close enough that a single test is OK for the next two years - when we get to tweaking, there may be differences in when to quit on back vs front, but that's out in the future a bit.

Oldschool

Post by Oldschool » September 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

Sounds good....