Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Nick Soil Test - Summer 2017

Post by PSU4ME » August 9th, 2017, 12:16 pm

Hi Folks,
Helping my friend Nick with his lawn and by looking at the test results, it seems he will need some serious help!

Lawn is in central MA - Pepperell. About 30k sqft and is irrigated. Current grass is builder crap with one round of trying to overseed in SSS KBG mix He is planning to overseed this Fall if it makes sense.

Test contains both front and back and they are different from the looks of it. He added Pennington fast acting lime at bag rate 3 weeks before the test so its down about 4.5 weeks now. I told him to hold on anything additional until I hear back from you guys.

If you have other questions just ask. Thank You!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Nick Soil Test - Summer 2017

Post by MorpheusPA » August 10th, 2017, 12:22 pm

Hey, PSU. I got your e-mail, so here's your answer!

You know most of the answers here, so I'll give you the Patented Short Read.

pH 5.4-ish. It did need the lime, and the Pennington is tolerably good stuff (slower than Encap or Mag-I-Cal, but we can work with it). For now, I'd wait and test next year.

ME 1.3, 2.4: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? I'm going to presume that you can verify his soil is rough sand. This is a soil I'd advise spoon feeding with needed resources every time you feed, so a more balanced ratio would be best. Organics would be optimal.

OM 4-ish: In the Good range, but with an ME that low, I'd push this as hard as I could (knowing that it's mostly not going to do anything in terms of ME, but that the constant decay will release resources to the plants as they need them, well enough, and help hold water in a soil that simply won't). Leaves, homemade compost, imported leaves, spent brewer's grains, untreated wood sawdust, I don't care. Dump it on.

Sulfur and Phosphorus: Perfect. None required, but there's tons of margin for normal additions via organics or other chemistry as an incidental.

Calcium, magnesium, potassium: 40%, 10%, 5%: All short, but the calcium's been helped along as much as possible (although I did make a recommendation below that's optional). I'd love to ignore magnesium, but really can't. Use Epsom salt for that. Potassium, recommendation below using potassium sulfate.

Minor/Trace Elements: I defer to Andy, but Boron should come up, and it gives me an excuse to slip in an application of Bay State or Milorganite (use whichever you like).

All other minor elements can be ignored this year and they aren't off anyway.

Boron 0.3-ish: While not the most important element, I'll always work to move your lawn into the most optimal range on everything. Me? I'd fix this. We use Milorganite as a carrier and 20 Mule Team Borax as the boron source. You can purchase 20 Mules at the grocery store in the laundry section. In a wheelbarrow or the like, dump the Milo. Spraying very, very lightly with water (I use a spray bottle like the kind people use to damp their clothes when they iron) will help the boron stick. Add the recommended amount of 20 Mule Team Borax and stir, spraying occasionally to get the stuff to stick to the Milo. Then apply over the recommended area. So if going for bag rate Milorganite (1 bag per 2,500 square feet), you'd add 10 tablespoons of 20 Mule Team Borax.

Recommendations:

September 1: Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt). Apply 4 tablespoons 20 Mule Team Borax per thousand square feet. This counts as his September feeding, but if he wishes to also feed synthetically, that's fine--I'd cut the rate back to 3/4 due to the fast release N in the Milo.

September 15: Apply 2 pounds per thousand square feet of potassium sulfate.

October 1: Feed organically and heavily; start mulching leaves. Feed synthetically as well if desired at one quarter to one half normal rate.

November 1: (optional) 3 pounds of fast lime per thousand square feet.

When Growth Stops: Feed synthetically with fast release N at normal rate.

Recommendations, 2018:

April 1: Apply 2 pounds per thousand potassium sulfate. Apply 2 pounds per thousand magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt).

May 1: Feed organically and heavily. Don't feed synthetically at this time.

Labor Day: Feed synthetically, lightly, if desired, but this is now unnecessary.

June 1: Re-test soil.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Level: Some Experience

Post by PSU4ME » August 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Thank you old friend! I very much appreciate it and it looks like its time to get to work, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!

This is me
Grass Type: Front-SS Sunny Mix. Back-SS KGB Mix
Level: Novice

Post by This is me » July 19th, 2018, 10:15 am

Hi,
I'm the guy with the bad sand/soil. Thanks to Bryan for posting this and his advice. I do feel the lawn is improving since.
I did another soil test in April of this year and did not see a significant different in the result so I continued to follow the recommendation per last year.
Here's what I've done so far this year.

4/13/2018- Epsom Salt from SaltWorks.com 50lbs
4/13/2018- Potassium Sulfate granular from kelp4less.com 50lbs
4/23/2018- Baystate Fertilizer with Borax @ 4tbsp per bag 12 bags
4/26/2018 - Mag-I-Cal 15000sq ft bag 4 bags
5/23/2018 - Baystate Fertlizer 6 bags
6/3/2018 - Baystate Fertlizer 9 bags
7/12/2018 - Mag-I-Cal 15000sq ft bag 2 bags
7/12/2018 - Baystate Fertlizer 5 bags

For the month of May to June, I've been collecting Starbucks Coffee ground pretty religiously and spread it over the lawn to improve soil structure and OM. I was able to cover the whole field in about a month timeframe. A total of ~2k lbs.

Date Amount(5gallons Bucket)
5/1/2018 10
5/3/2018 4
5/7/2018 7
5/8/2018 3
5/10/2018 1
5/11/2018 4
5/14/2018 6
5/17/2018 5
5/23/2018 6
5/25/2018 6
5/18/2018 6
5/30/2018 5
5/31/2018 3
6/8/2018 6

Total 72buckets @ 30lbs a bucket.

Here was my soil test result back in April. Should I get another soil test? Or wait til next year. Am I moving things in the right direction?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » July 20th, 2018, 1:44 pm

I don't see a soil test.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 20th, 2018, 2:33 pm

This is me wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 10:15 am
For the month of May to June, I've been collecting Starbucks Coffee ground pretty religiously and spread it over the lawn to improve soil structure and OM. I was able to cover the whole field in about a month timeframe. A total of ~2k lbs.
Wow, seriously - 2000 pounds of coffee grounds from Starbucks! That's awesome!

I wonder what nutrients are in there in addition to just improving soil structure and OM?!?

I just did a google search, which says that coffee grounds are about 2.1 - 0.3 - 0.3, but couldn't find anything about micronutrients or effect upon pH.

This is me

Post by This is me » July 20th, 2018, 2:38 pm

Second try.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 20th, 2018, 2:41 pm

couldn't find anything about micronutrients or effect upon pH.
The effect on soil pH is minuscule.

This is me

Post by This is me » July 20th, 2018, 2:54 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
July 20th, 2018, 2:33 pm
This is me wrote:
July 19th, 2018, 10:15 am
Wow, seriously - 2000 pounds of coffee grounds from Starbucks! That's awesome!

I wonder what nutrients are in there in addition to just improving soil structure and OM?!?

I just did a google search, which says that coffee grounds are about 2.1 - 0.3 - 0.3, but couldn't find anything about micronutrients or effect upon pH.
I'm not good at soil result analysis. But I read this article for the Starbucks CG and did not find anything bad about it. A PH of 6.2 is hell lot better than my soil PH at 5.2. :rotfl:
https://www.sunset.com/garden/earth-fri ... mpost-test
I work about 1/4 mile down from a Starbucks. I called them and talked to their manager about my intention and she said come right down. I went to HD and bought some 5 gallons buckets to try. They produce a stupid amount of coffee ground that I can get six 5gal buckets filled in just Saturday and Sunday. And throughout the work week, I can get about 7-8 buckets. So they add up very quickly.
I take the coffee ground home, dump them in a wheel barrel, and sift through the filter pads(A little PITA but can't complaint for the free ground). Some buckets will have the coffee ground in a big bag so that's easy. But some has all these little expresso filters that I have to take out. Initially, I let the ground dry out for a day. And with my cheapo wheel barrel that has a crack at the bottom, it allows the coffee liquid to drain out. But soon after, I just use the coffee ground right away. I spread them by using my hands. It's a great work out through and through. Lugging the buckets out of Starbucks(love the look of people's face and "that's a lot of coffee) to the car and hand spread the coffee by the wheel barrel. No need for the gym.
I'm looking forward to re-start this regime. It was just way too much coffee ground! I figure I would be smothered the lawn with coffee ground if I don't allow it to decompose.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 22nd, 2018, 9:49 pm

THISISME, please put the Summer 2018 test results into a separate test post/thread to avoid confusion with the 2017 results.