Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Free OM with delivery website

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » August 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm

https://getchipdrop.com/

I just found this today. Basically you're signing up to have free, un-composted, chipper-truck fulls of OM dumped in a spot you pick with no advanced notice.

The names a bit misleading as they say you'll probably get 50% green material, not pre wood chips or mulch you buy at the store.

No telling what may be in the mix - you're basically saving a landscaper dump and transit fees

I can see this being helpful for someone that has an easy-to-find, out-of-site spot that can be turned into an unfinished composting pile on short notice, but I can't do that - no tri-axles can drive across my lawn without damaging a septic system or sprinkler heads - and no way can I have a magical pile of 15 yards of unfinished OM show up in my driveway without sleeping on the couch until it's gone.

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Free OM with delivery website

Post by LTCM » August 15th, 2017, 11:31 am

http://abouttrees.com

Same thing. They have some good videos on their website about the process. I believe the app is national but they are particularly active in Atlanta. I was getting two loads a week when my listing was active - so watch out, it shows up fast. You are right about them not being pure chips. My piles would be streaming before I could even spread them. More green material in them than you'd think. Our warm climate also helps break them down fast.

We also have free horse manure and sawdust close by if you want to load yourself. I personally just pay $15-20 for them to drop four to five yards in my truck. Search my postings and you will see the fungus you can find in a rotting sawdust pile.

For your lawn, try to find a someone who has a stump grinder. Those things produce chips which are perfect for the lawn. Each chip is about the volume of a wood pellet, which I know many members use. Might even go through a lawn spreader.