Snowmanaxp 2017 soil sample

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
snowmanaxp
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Snowmanaxp 2017 soil sample

Post by snowmanaxp » September 19th, 2017, 11:15 am

I will start by saying I don't know what caused the discrepancy in OM. I haven't done anything that should cause it, other than my sampling technique.

2017 report:

2013 report thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11997

2017 Lawn log:
2/15 synthetic fertilizer 1 lb N/k
3/1 Ferris sulfate approx 2 lb/k
3/22 fast acting lime 9 lb/k
3/29 SLS 4oz/k front and back
4/1 50lb soybean meal on front lawn
4/2 SLS 7 oz/k front and back
4/19 50lb cotton seed meal on front lawn
6/3 50lb soybean meal on front lawn
6/17 50lb soybean meal on front lawn
6 /17 fast acting lime 9 lb/k
8/27 50lb soybean meal on front lawn
9/16 1/2 lb N/k 46-0-0
(All organic ferts come out to about 1 lb/k per application)

2016 was similar to this year.
I did 2 apps of 1 lb/k SOP as well.
And 2 apps of Ferris sulfate. approx 2 lb/k
2 apps of synthetic fertilizer in the fall (I did non use 46-0-0)

2015 and 2014:
1 lb/k organic fertilizer 3 times during summer.
1 lb/k synthetic fert in February, again in September and November.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Snowmanaxp 2017 soil sample

Post by andy10917 » September 26th, 2017, 6:18 pm

Let's see what the latest test says:

An 8.50 TEC is at the sandy end of loams, but nothing to worry about. It will generally hold nutrients OK. The 4.12% OM number is OK but unspectacular - keep pouring on the OM...

In the cations, things are coming along - I'd do one calcitic lime treatment this year at 10 lbs/K, and one more in the Spring. Then I'd do two Gypsum apps next year at 25 lbs/K, 90 days apart and 90 days after the lime. If it sounds like I'm trying to glide into the success zone, it's because you're almost there!

Speaking of successes, you can stop the SOP treatments - the numbers are good. Maybe touch-ups to hold the number where it is, but regular apps aren't in the picture.

The Phosphorus still isn't finished. Either apply Triple Superphosphate (TSP) at 2 lbs/K monthly or a Starter Fertilizer. With the TSP you'll need a Nitrogen source, but it seems you have that down.

How the hell did you manage to do so well, and still have a sniveling Iron problem? The Iron is less than half what I like to see. Back to the 3 lbs/K Ferrous Sulfate every 60 days - but not near the lime apps.

In the micro’s, it’s Boron, Copper and Zinc. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery), Copper Sulfate (Amazon/EBay), and Zinc Sulfate (Amazon/Ebay) and apply each at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

You're almost there - let's mop up these little areas of trouble.

Nice work!!

snowmanaxp

Post by snowmanaxp » September 27th, 2017, 9:24 am

As always, thank you for the time and effort to analyze my report.

Justin

snowmanaxp

Post by snowmanaxp » March 20th, 2018, 10:27 am

When it is mentioned that I need to apply Triple Superphosphate with fertilizer, can I use organics such as soybean meal or milorganite?

Thanks
Justin

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2018, 11:20 am

That's a loaded and not-so-simple question: you have to determine the amount of Phosphorus in a product, the ratio of Phosphorus to other items in the (organic) fertilizer (which limits how much goes down at once), and the form of the Phosphorus.

Soybean Meal is a 7-2-1 NPK equivalent. You would apply it at 14 lbs per K because the Nitrogen maximum for an app would be reached. With that app, you would get 0.28 lbs/K of Phosphorus also -- roughly 1/4 of what the TSP would deliver in one app.

Milorganite is a different story. As a 5-4-0 NPK equivalent, applying 20 lbs/K to get the maximum Nitrogen, you'd get 0.80 lbs/K of a good form of Phosphorus. The form is a low-WEP form, so it doesn't leach easily.
Water extractable phosphorus (WEP) is relatively new terminology used to explain how easily phosphorus in fertilizer moves into groundwater. A low WEP percentage means that P is less likely to leach into groundwater, whereas a high WEP is more likely to move into groundwater. Synthetic fertilizers contain over 85% WEP, therefore a high percentage of phosphorus is likely to relocate into the groundwater, thus contributing to the eutrophication of lakes and streams. Milorganite organic nitrogen fertilizer contains only 2% WEP. Research indicates that the P in
Milorganite is slow release, readily available for plant consumption, and, in turn, will not leach into waterways.

snowmanaxp

Post by snowmanaxp » March 20th, 2018, 11:51 am

Wow, so making my lawn even more fantastic is somewhat complicated 🤣

I did some googling to try and better understand how TSP is used. I did not find anything specifying that TSP needs to be applied with nitrogen fertilizer.

Based in Andy's math class😀 above, if I use soybean meal, I would apply an additional 1.5 lb/k of TSP. And if I used Milorganite, I would apply just under .25 lb/k TSP.

But that seems too easy to be the case. Did I completely missed the analysis Andy.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2018, 12:22 pm

I did some googling to try and better understand how TSP is used. I did not find anything specifying that TSP needs to be applied with nitrogen fertilizer.
That's because there isn't any rule that Nitrogen needs to be applied with TSP. Not sure where you got that from...

snowmanaxp

Post by snowmanaxp » March 20th, 2018, 12:59 pm

andy10917 wrote:
September 26th, 2017, 6:18 pm
The Phosphorus still isn't finished. Either apply Triple Superphosphate (TSP) at 2 lbs/K monthly or a Starter Fertilizer. With the TSP you'll need a Nitrogen source, but it seems you have that down.
I guess I took the above as saying I NEEDED to apply with nitrogen at the same time.
I understand understand now.

As always, thanks for explaining everything Andy.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » March 20th, 2018, 2:50 pm

What I was trying to say was that you no longer need an SOP source. You can use a Starter Fertilizer for Phosphorus and Nitrogen, or TSP plus a Nitrogen source. Your choice!