Neighbor Mike Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Neighbor Mike Soil Test

Post by Marinegrunt » September 27th, 2017, 9:55 am

I have an older neighbor who was always complaining about TruGreen so I offered to help get him the info needed to take care of his own lawn.

His lawn is about 9K. He has had a major rust problem the whole growing season. He also has Brown Patch. His lawn is pretty much weed free except for some wild violet that creeps by the wood line. I believe it's a northern mix probably from a big box. Seems like they all use creeping red fescue, chewing fescue, fine fescue and kbg around here but I'm guessing. He doesn't have irrigation but he does drag a sprinkler around in the summer if it needs it.

I know he's sick of TruGreen and wants a nice lawn. Micro's would be appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys are great!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Neighbor Mike Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » September 27th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Make sure to add it to the Soil Test Interpretation Queue

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 8th, 2017, 9:22 am

That's a soil that has some challenges, but it should be able to grow a nice lawn if it gets the right attention...

Since I don't know whether the owner is willing to invest $$$$$ to address imbalances, I'll mark some items "optional". It doesn't really mean optional, it means if there is no budget, then some items will have to go.

The soil is a medium loam. It has a mediocre 2.8% OM number, so any and all OM sources (especially free like mulched leaves) should be applied - heavily and often.

In the cations, the Magnesium is very high and the Calcium low. This can lead to a soil that is "tight" and hard to work. Applications of Gypsum at 25-30 lbs/K (optional) twice a season will change the soil slowly over time. Do NOT apply Lime. The other cation (Potassium) is fine.

The Phosphorus is quite low. This means that all fertilizer applications should use Starter fertilizer (high second number). Apply monthly from green-up to shut-down, monthly except July and early August. Post the NPK for exact application amounts.

The Iron number is weak. Since the pH is high, many materials to raise it won't work. Substituting Milorganite for some Starter applications will work and improve color.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are short. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery) and Zinc Sulfate (Amazon/EBay), and apply each at three tablespoons/K every 60 days. Read the Micronutrient Application Guide for application specifics.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 8th, 2017, 11:37 am

Thanks Andy. As always, I appreciate all of your help. My neighbor thanks you too.

I don't think he really has a budget in mind and isn't really worried about cost. I have a feeling with him it will come down to how much effort he is willing to put in but we will see.

As for the starter it will be either 24-25-4 or 18-22-6.

Thanks again!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 8th, 2017, 12:10 pm

For the 24-25-4 it would be 4 lbs/K. For the 18-22-6, it would be 5 lbs/K.