Sulfate of Potash SOP - Online Sources

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
PW405
Grass Type: Primary: TTTF (blend), KBG. Bermuda (hellstrip)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Sulfate of Potash SOP - Online Sources

Post by PW405 » September 29th, 2017, 3:43 pm

In what has become an epic quest to find Sulfate of Potash (SOP), I've called ~ 20 stores all within an hour drive and nobody seems to carry it.

However.. I seem to have sourced two online vendors selling large bags in granules:

Seed world: https://www.seedworldusa.com/products/s ... zer-50-lbs
Current price ~$38 + Shipping of $34 = $72 for a 50lb bag.

Good ol' Kelp for Less also seems to carry a 50lb bag:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Potash-Fertiliz ... 2548.l4275
Current price: $67, free shipping.

Is this pricing outrageous? A 50lb bag would be quite a few applications on my ~3K.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the Kelp for Less product. Anybody ever use it before? Anybody else have to resort to buying SOP on the web?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Re: Sulfate of Potash SOP - Online Sources

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm

PW405 wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 3:43 pm
In what has become an epic quest to find Sulfate of Potash (SOP), I've called ~ 20 stores all within an hour drive and nobody seems to carry it.
What kind of stores have you been calling?

If you've been calling retail stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Menards, then I'm not particularly surprised.

Have you tried calling any farm supply centers or fertilizer distributors? I'd suggest trying a place like Crop Production Services. They won't have a retail counter, and may be expecting you to show up with a farm truck in which they would dump a half-ton of fertilizer in the back, but they're generally very receptive to selling to home gardeners. Give them a call via phone, be friendly, and humble, and they'll probably help you out. You may need to bring a 5-gallon pail in which they would dump the fertilizer. It'll probably be much cheaper than anything you could buy in a retail store, too!

PW405

Post by PW405 » September 29th, 2017, 4:57 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 4:37 pm
PW405 wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 3:43 pm
What kind of stores have you been calling?

If you've been calling retail stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Ace Hardware, Menards, then I'm not particularly surprised.

Have you tried calling any farm supply centers or fertilizer distributors? I'd suggest trying a place like Crop Production Services. They won't have a retail counter, and may be expecting you to show up with a farm truck in which they would dump a half-ton of fertilizer in the back, but they're generally very receptive to selling to home gardeners. Give them a call via phone, be friendly, and humble, and they'll probably help you out. You may need to bring a 5-gallon pail in which they would dump the fertilizer. It'll probably be much cheaper than anything you could buy in a retail store, too!
I've haven't bothered with any big box stores - mostly results of google maps for terms such as "agriculture supply/store, feed and seed, co-op , country/outdoor supply, lawncare/landscape/turf supply", etc. Also tried a few word of mouth recommendations from those that I spoke with.

Assuming I can't source within a reasonable distance, is the total price online outrageous? I've read others on ATY say that SOP is important for cotton farms, and that stores near cotton farms are likely to carry SOP. Somewhere around OK, cotton is grown. Perhaps I just need to get further out of the city.

Plenty of sources for the muriate, I should note. So that's another option.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 29th, 2017, 5:01 pm

PW405, OK, I decided to try to put some google-fu to work for you. I learned that the City of Oklahoma City contracted this year with Simplot Partners corporation for fertilizer shipments for the city. Among the items on the price list were the following:
1143850L 0-0-50 GREENS GRADE (50LB) $ 32.50
1213850L 0-0-50 SOP GRANULAR (50LB) $ 27.80
I'd suggest giving Simplot a call. They carry BEST Fertilizer Products.

They have a location in Oklahoma City. The contact that I found for that location is Mike Halvorson, 405-948-1084. I'd suggest giving him a call, telling him you're a home owner looking to purchase sulfate of potash fertilizer, and that you learned via a google search that his company supplies fertilizers (including Sulfate of Potash) to the City of Oklahoma City, and that you'd like to buy a 50# bag by coming to their warehouse to get it.

Their web page lists their contact info as:
Simplot Partners
5201 W Reno Ave Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73127 United States
Phone: (405) 948-1084
Good luck!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » September 29th, 2017, 5:06 pm

That K&N has gone all google-fu on us. Someone call an Exorcist.

PW405

Post by PW405 » September 29th, 2017, 6:43 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 5:01 pm
PW405, OK, I decided to try to put some google-fu to work for you. I learned that the City of Oklahoma City contracted this year with Simplot Partners corporation for fertilizer shipments for the city. Among the items on the price list were the following:
1143850L 0-0-50 GREENS GRADE (50LB) $ 32.50
1213850L 0-0-50 SOP GRANULAR (50LB) $ 27.80
I'd suggest giving Simplot a call. They carry BEST Fertilizer Products.

They have a location in Oklahoma City. The contact that I found for that location is Mike Halvorson, 405-948-1084. I'd suggest giving him a call, telling him you're a home owner looking to purchase sulfate of potash fertilizer, and that you learned via a google search that his company supplies fertilizers (including Sulfate of Potash) to the City of Oklahoma City, and that you'd like to buy a 50# bag by coming to their warehouse to get it.

Their web page lists their contact info as:
Simplot Partners
5201 W Reno Ave Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73127 United States
Phone: (405) 948-1084
Good luck!
Wow... how in the world did you even find that??! Awesome, I'll give him a call and see what I can find! Thanks again...

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass
Level: Some Experience

Post by Oldschool » September 29th, 2017, 7:04 pm

I have two local ag suppliers. Neither carry sop or tsp (I need both). I simply asked if they could source from their suppliers. A 5 minute phone call by the ag guy to his supplier and wallah, I had my sop and tsp.

Just ask if they can order it for you.

Oldschool
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by Oldschool » September 29th, 2017, 7:09 pm

I have two local ag suppliers. Neither carry sop or tsp (I need both). I simply asked if they could source from their suppliers. A 5 minute phone call by the ag guy to his supplier and wallah, I had my sop and tsp.

Just ask if they can order it for you.

greenrebellion
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG

Post by greenrebellion » September 29th, 2017, 10:50 pm

Yup, I just ask my co-op to special order them for me.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG

Post by Marinegrunt » September 30th, 2017, 2:16 am

We have a lot of fertilizer stores in IL mainly geared toward commercial farmers. They all sell to homeowners too. A couple of places require you bringing in a trash can to transport it. Most sell by the bag though. Anything they don't have on hand can be ordered and is there in a couple days. They don't keep sop and stuff that isn't too popular because they worry about moisture and clumping. I bet any place can order it for you.

PW405

Post by PW405 » October 2nd, 2017, 1:50 pm

ken-n-nancy wrote:
September 29th, 2017, 5:01 pm
PW405, OK, I decided to try to put some google-fu to work
I'd suggest giving Simplot a call.
Ken and/or Nancy - thanks again! Who knew Simplot had a warehouse 4 miles from my house. Spoke with them today and I'll be the proud owner of 50lbs of SOP come lunchtime tomorrow!

So I used Jacklin seed this year, a Simplot company. Now that I've got the connection for other Simplot products, maybe they can be a corporate sponsor of my lawn? :rotfl:

ken-n-nancy

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 2nd, 2017, 4:42 pm

PW405 wrote:
October 2nd, 2017, 1:50 pm
Ken and/or Nancy - thanks again! Who knew Simplot had a warehouse 4 miles from my house. Spoke with them today and I'll be the proud owner of 50lbs of SOP come lunchtime tomorrow!
Glad to know my time spent googling on your behalf paid off!

You can "pay it forward" next time somebody around OKC asks for an SOP source...