Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

PSU's Dog leg- Soil Test Help

Post by PSU4ME » October 2nd, 2017, 11:12 am

Hi All,
As part of my property, I have a dog leg area up the top that is really native and quite sandy. When the house was built in 2015, nothing was done and no soil added. I started chipping away at cleaning it up and it has really come a long way from where it was. Weed control, actual grass now and i have been watering it and cutting it regularly. In 2016 I ended up planting 5 fruit trees as well - 3 apple and 2 peach. When I dug this soil test, I could see the top layer (about 1") was very rich and dark but below that it was the same old sandy stuff so i think the "process is working, albeit slow.....which i had assumed.

I'm attaching the past 3 soil tests with #3 being the newest one just in. I'm also attaching the amendment schedule Morph provided from the first two tests......all was followed pretty much exactly. Interesting numbers for sure (PH still low!) and I assume the grass is sucking away some of what I'm adding.

Appreciate the insight on an amendment plan given this years test for the grass and trees. I just laid a heavy dose of baystate yesterday so that will be setting in. Have access to just about anything so fire away!

Original soil test:

Soil test #2:

Soil Test #3:

Thank you for your help!

PSU4ME

Re: PSU's Dog leg- Soil Test Help

Post by PSU4ME » October 2nd, 2017, 12:44 pm

Amendment list:

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 2nd, 2017, 1:14 pm

Got your e-mail!

It looks like there are a couple things going on. The soil has a significant reservoir of acidic material (possible, but with an ME that low, it can't be huge). Stuff is washing through without sticking (impossible), or with an ME that low, the soil doesn't hold enough to maintain levels for very long (likely).

Remind me of what I suggested last time? I'm probably going to say "ditto, but step up the organic matter additions big time. Move your leaves into that area and mulch them all there, if possible. Import leaves. Three inches of leaf mass is not too much."

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » October 3rd, 2017, 5:46 am

Hey Morph,
Looks like the amendment list posted. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 3rd, 2017, 12:37 pm

You know Round 2? Ditto, pretty much. Start with the 10/1/16 entry this weekend if you can.

October 7: 4 pounds of rapid lime per K.
October 15: Potassium sulfate, 1 per K (no sense wasting it, and this addition is a little later than I would normally suggest).

April 1: 4 pounds rapid lime per K.
April 15: Epsom salt, 1 pound per K (again, no sense wasting it).
May 1: Potassium sulfate, 1 per K (waste, again).
July 1: 2 pounds rapid lime per K (summer, let's not stress it).
October 1: 4 pounds rapid lime per K.
October 15: Potassium sulfate, 1 per K.

I cut the starter fertilizer as the P levels are close to optimal. As the apple trees grow, they're going to suck resources out of a soil that simply doesn't have a lot of resource space, so in the above I tried to meter it in slowly and relatively continuously. This process could take years.

If your friends can drop off leaves, a three-inch (well chopped up, which is 6 to 8 inches loose at the minimum) layer isn't at all unreasonable, repeated as soon as the initial batch of leaves decays off. As time goes on, you'll note that it can accept more and process them faster, but that takes some years.

And if you have the energy, you don't have to restrict that to this area. The whole lawn will like it, but I'd go thinner in non-problem areas to avoid any chance of removing grass in patches that then has to spread back in during spring...

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » October 3rd, 2017, 12:52 pm

Thank you Morph! I have a 45# bag of MAG-I-CAL on hand that i can get down this weekend. I'll order the potassium sulfate as I only have a small portion of that left behind and i'll use that when i get home.

How are the potassium levels holding but others are not? Wouldn't it wash through as well? I assume thats from the baystate - its gotten a good bit of that this year

I'm totally shocked at this test result, given all I (we've) done lol! Looks like i'll need to go less, more often, until i can bring the soil around. I have good grass growing there now so i'm hoping that will start building the soil up a bit. I have very little in terms of earthworms in the soil, i might start picking them off my driveway after a rain and throwing them there lol.

I'm working on getting the leaves in. Would i also want grass clippings of is that too much of a weed seed/disease issue compared to its benefit?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » October 3rd, 2017, 9:19 pm

I did answer you on the other thread; it depends on the grass pile. Personally? I might use it, but only after re-composting. Which is probably more hassle than it's worth.

K should be washing through but seems to be hanging on. Somehow. :-) I have absolutely no idea why, unless it's just that the amounts were far enough over the top to keep it in line.

PSU4ME

Post by PSU4ME » April 21st, 2019, 6:02 pm

Morph/ST6,
I think I’m going to save the soil test this year on this part of the property because I’m assuming I’ll get the same amendment plan. With that said, I put a bunch of good compost up there this winter (.5-1”)and things are looking good.

I’m assuming that will only help but not change the plan. Safe assumption?