my op ed on mulching leaves

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
virginiagal

my op ed on mulching leaves

Post by virginiagal » October 7th, 2017, 5:13 am

Today Richmond Times Dispatch published an op ed I wrote on mulching leaves. Here is a link:
http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-o ... 75a25.html

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: my op ed on mulching leaves

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 7th, 2017, 1:39 pm

virginiagal wrote:
October 7th, 2017, 5:13 am
Today Richmond Times Dispatch published an op ed I wrote on mulching leaves. Here is a link:
http://www.richmond.com/opinion/their-o ... 75a25.html
Nice article! Thanks so much for sharing it! Thanks also for writing it to help spread the word to your community of the benefits of mulching leaves back into the lawn!

I particularly like your concluding paragraph -- it nicely captures the essential "take-away" from the article:
Richmond Times Dispatch wrote:So stop raking and blowing leaves and throwing them away. They are not trash. They are a valuable source of nutrients and organic matter for the soil. Mulch mow your leaves, returning them to your soil.

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by Marinegrunt » October 7th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Very nice article and congrats on getting it published. I enjoyed reading it. I have a neighbor I should send it to. He's always bagging his clippings, leaves, or anything else in the yard. He's in his low 70's and always complaining on the work involved to push mow his yard. I've tried explaining all of the benefits of mulching and, how much easier it is, but he keeps on bagging. Oh well, more leaves for me to use. Maybe once he sees me using his leaves to mulch in our lawn he will finally believe it. Lord knows our soil here needs all the help it can get.

Once again, congrats on the article!

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 7th, 2017, 7:54 pm

:good:

Personally, I would have answered the question of what to do with them by saying "Send them to HLG...." :D :D

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 7th, 2017, 11:13 pm

Kudos and great thanks for spreading the word!

rtomek
Grass Type: Elite KBG Sod (unknown cultivars)
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by rtomek » October 12th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Marinegrunt wrote:
October 7th, 2017, 7:44 pm
Maybe once he sees me using his leaves to mulch in our lawn he will finally believe it. Lord knows our soil here needs all the help it can get.
When I first moved in, my next door neighbor (similar age) had 10-12 bags of clippings at the end of his driveway every week. I would take them and leave them next to my shed until I mowed. We don't have a fence so he had to know exactly what I was doing. Only took him about a month before being a convert. Over time others have caught on, and I actually have to drive a few blocks now in the fall to gather leaves for mulching.

LTCM
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by LTCM » October 12th, 2017, 8:09 pm

Stop spreading word about the benefits of mulched leaves, it increases competition for free bags of leaf material. ;) If my neighbours find out they are doing me a favor, instead of the other way around, there's going to be a major decline in the free work I get out of them.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 12th, 2017, 9:43 pm

When I first moved in, my next door neighbor (similar age) had 10-12 bags of clippings at the end of his driveway every week. I would take them and leave them next to my shed until I mowed. We don't have a fence so he had to know exactly what I was doing. Only took him about a month before being a convert. Over time others have caught on, and I actually have to drive a few blocks now in the fall to gather leaves for mulching.
This is the free-couch problem. Put a couch to the curb and mark it free, and it sits there forever. Mark it $500 and it is stolen in no time. You showed the neighbor that the leaves had value, so you no longer get them for free.