Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Brecken
Grass Type: Bermuda
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Brecken's Soil Test - 2017

Post by Brecken » October 24th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Hello,

I am new to the forum and a new homeowner trying to make sure I start with good habits and keep a healthy lawn.

My yard is 8000 sq/ft and is 4 months old. I have not gotten on a strict irrigation schedule yet but in the first couple weeks I watered every day and have slowly worked my way down to watering only once a week.

I didn't read all of the rules correctly and followed Logans site stating to do the soil test at 6" but I hope it is still worthwhile information.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Brecken

Marinegrunt
Grass Type: TTTF + 10% KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: Brecken's Soil Test - 2017

Post by Marinegrunt » October 24th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Be sure to get your place in line on the "Soil Test Interpretation Queue" thread which is located a few down from this thread. Be sure to post a link back to this thread. If you read through the sticky on posting a test for interpretation it will tell you what all to do.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 24th, 2017, 3:35 pm

Is your lawn beachfront?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » October 24th, 2017, 5:40 pm

Hahaha, I noticed but decided not to hang it on the OP yet

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 25th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Yeah, that's a sandy soil with that TEC of 3.64, without much Organic Matter (OM). It's going to have problems retaining nutrients and water :)

You have some work to do! :) It's low in darned near everything, and that's a pretty high sulfur level!

Mix it all together, you have a pH of 5.9 that indicates a more acidic soil, but not outside the bounds where Bermuda can do well. We will likely see this rise over time with the plan I have in mind.

All the major cations (Calcium Ca, Magnesium Mg, and Potassium K) - are low.

The Phosphorus (P) is low.

Iron is 'meh', but we want more.

Aluminum is high but your pH is high enough it shouldn't be a problem.

To attack all the above deficits, source a good calcitic lime like Mag-i-cal or Encap, epsom salts, a balanced fertilizer, and ferrous sulfate. A balanced fertilizer is a fertilizer with all 3 numbers the same, like 12-12-12 or 18-18-18. Post it's NPK here for application rates.

Ferrous sulfate (or ferrous sulfate monohydrate) might be harder to find, being at a garden specialty or feed store (used to supplement cattle feed).

Read the Bermuda Guide on the site, pay particular attention to the Nitrogen feeding approach (normally applied monthly during growing season). Your season is probably just about over, so I'll keep that in mind.

The plan:

Apply some organic matter (OM) from free sources as you can, mulch mow, mulch leaves, etc. This will help your soil with moisture retention and nutrient holding capacity.

Apply 9 lbs / K of the good, calcitic lime above, mixed with 2 lbs / K epsom salts in the next week or two. This will increase your Ca / Mg levels. Do this two more times next season, after greenup, and then 90 days later.

Next year, whenever you see the Bermuda Guide call for Nitrogen applications, use the balanced fertilizer you find in the amounts we'll give you based on the NPK you tell us. This will not only feed Nitrogen, but also the Phosphorus and Potassium you need. Keep these applications two weeks from the lime above.

Apply 3 lbs / K of the ferrous sulfate now, and then twice more next year, 90 days apart. Keep this a few weeks from the balanced fertilizer. Make sure to water this in! Getting an app in this fall will help keep it greener, longer this winter.

That's the plan!

Brecken

Post by Brecken » October 25th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Thanks for the plan! Looks like I have some work to do :) I am slightly confused about the soil test saying it is sandy soil because it is all red clay but maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.

Also for the ferrous sulfate, how do I control how much I put down? I am guessing this is sprayed after dissolved in water, do you have a recommended sprayer for this?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm

I am slightly confused about the soil test saying it is sandy soil because it is all red clay but maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.
You are the 2,345th person that has said "I have Georgia Red Clay" (or <Your state here>). Check the universities - it ain't Clay no matter how many grandpappies repeat the phrase.

Sensi
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Sensi » October 25th, 2017, 6:33 pm

If you live on the Piedmont Plateau your soil may be kaolinite clay with a possible TEC range of 3-5.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » October 30th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Brecken wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 5:14 pm
Thanks for the plan! Looks like I have some work to do :) I am slightly confused about the soil test saying it is sandy soil because it is all red clay but maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.

Also for the ferrous sulfate, how do I control how much I put down? I am guessing this is sprayed after dissolved in water, do you have a recommended sprayer for this?
There are so many superstitions about soil! Georgia red clay is one. Pine needles creating acidic soil is another. We could go on :) Andy is spot on!

Which is why you want to test instead of assume - so good on you. :good:

To apply the ferrous sulfate, I would personally prefer mixing it in with a carrier like milorganite and then appling it with a broadcast spreader. Soil drenching is an option too, but might be more work as you need to apply with ample water, or irrigate directly afterwards. If you apply in too little water, you can gum up a sprayer really quickly. If you do soil drench, a soil application nozzle is best.

Brecken

Post by Brecken » October 31st, 2017, 12:43 pm

andy10917 wrote:
October 25th, 2017, 6:00 pm
I am slightly confused about the soil test saying it is sandy soil because it is all red clay but maybe I just don't know what I am talking about.
You are the 2,345th person that has said "I have Georgia Red Clay" (or <Your state here>). Check the universities - it ain't Clay no matter how many grandpappies repeat the phrase.
Is there any issue with me following the instructions above and using milorganite with ferrous sulfate in order to broadcast spread? will adding this affect the plan you layed out for me?

Thanks,
Brecken

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 31st, 2017, 8:46 pm

No issue. HLG is a member of ST6 and we all work together so that the advice of one should not be at odds with the advice of another ST6 member.

Brecken

Post by Brecken » April 3rd, 2018, 6:50 pm

Hey guys,

I am back in time for the grass to start growing. I just picked up a balanced fertilizer 10-10-10, I am wondering what the application rate should be for this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 3rd, 2018, 8:23 pm

10-10-10 is applied at 10 lbs/K