Couple of gypsum timing questions

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Couple of gypsum timing questions

Post by Green » February 12th, 2018, 8:16 pm

Andy,

As you know, the weather pattern is different than usual this February, with temps up into the 40s and even 50s happening often. I was thinking of getting a head-start if possible around the end of this month, on the gypsum in areas where NaCl road salt was used. It has improved the results in previous years, but this year is different. I do have a few questions specific to this year.

1.) Do you feel it's best (or even necessary) to wait for the soil to completely unfreeze before applying gypsum? I don't want it to just wash away and into the street, so it seems to me it'd be best to wait until the entire soil profile is thawed...or at least the first few inches.

2.) Timing of application: If the town puts down more salt after the gypsum application, there would then be more sodium ions in the soil. The gypsum that's sitting in the soil from a couple of weeks earlier should still be able to compete with the subsequent batch of sodium provided enough gypsum had been used, right? Or is the gypsum somehow more effective if application is held off until no more sodium is being actively applied (I'm guessing that's not the case unless you wait way too long...?)

Thanks!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Couple of gypsum timing questions

Post by andy10917 » February 12th, 2018, 10:25 pm

The action of Gypsum on NaCl is completely chemical on the soil, so early is OK as long as the Gypsum gets into the soil. You can do it again if needed. Once the roots become active the damage will happen quickly.

Green

Post by Green » February 1st, 2019, 6:49 pm

Andy,

As a follow-up since this year's conditions are slightly different:

What's the benchmark soil temp you would go by this time of year to determine if roots might become active during the upcoming warm spell?
Just anything above 32?

If it gets near the point where I think the roots might activate, I'll drop a little gypsum early again, before the rain that's coming next week.

Thanks.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » February 1st, 2019, 8:37 pm

If it can get into the soil, it will help to clear the road salt. Every word in the previous posting is all you need to know.

BTW, the roots aren't going to be "tricked" by a short warm spell - it will be April before they know Spring is arriving in CT...

Green

Post by Green » February 1st, 2019, 9:49 pm

Makes sense. So, now my aim will be to see if the soil thaws enough next week to warrant throwing some gypsum down.