Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
bcpa1445
Grass Type: Common Bermuda
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

bcpa1445's Soil Test Results 2018

Post by bcpa1445 » May 16th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Hey guys,
Thank you for your time and consideration. A resource like this forum is an amazing aid to so many of us.

I have posted my results below. It is an average from roughly 12 different spots around my front and back yard. 4 slices of soil down to about 5" deep with a small shovel, the rest a 4" plug pulled. All soil broken down and mixed, then the appropriate 2 cups added to a ziplock bag to be sent to LoganLabs. I forgot to mark anything different on the sheet about sample depth, so its listed at 6 inches on the results. Hopefully that doesn't hurt anything. ??

My yard (just outside Nashville, TN) is roughly 27k sq.ft. Common Bermuda that was seeded in by original owner. I moved in July of last year and the lawn was average then. Several weak spots with thinning or bare areas, especially in parts of the yard that get shade from either trees or the house. I can mow at least every 5-6 days with a rotary mower. I am able to take it down to about 1.25" without any scalping issues as most of the yard is very flat. No irrigation installed, though I am strongly considering. After spot treating some areas with Celsius last fall, and pruning some trees to let more light in, the yard was doing fairly well. I have two 50lb dogs, and between them, and the extremely cold (for Nashville) winter. The back yard is looking pretty rough (winter die-off or dogs too rough on the dormant grass?) To date, parts of it are starting to come back around, but a good chunk of it is still brown or bare dirt. There are a few bits of new growth popping up here and there. My soil seems very hard and dries out quickly on top with the lack of density. Some of the bare areas even crack at times. I'm sure my neighbors love the giant dust cloud I create when I mow!

I am looking for best practices and any help I can get (Nitrogen recommendations as well). I lack experience with soil amendments and fertilizer treatments but have been absorbing as much as I can here and am willing to put in the time and effort to turn this yard around as quick as possible.

Looking forward to hearing from you guys and being a part of this community. Please let me know if you need any other info.

-Bill

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: bcpa1445's Soil Test Results 2018

Post by andy10917 » May 16th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Make sure to post a Link to this thread in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue thread, so that you have a place in line

bcpa1445

Post by bcpa1445 » May 16th, 2018, 10:35 pm

andy10917 wrote:
May 16th, 2018, 10:27 pm
Make sure to post a Link to this thread in the Soil Test Interpretation Queue thread, so that you have a place in line
Done! Thank you

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 19th, 2018, 5:38 pm

A nice medium loam with close-to-OK OM numbers starts things off right, but it falls over on its face when you get to the cations, which are downright deficient. The combo leads to a pH of 5.2, which may be why the Bermuda is struggling - Bermuda wants the nutrients and the resulting pH north of 6.

You need to get going on a calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/Solu-Cal) at 9 lbs/K and Epsom Salts at 2 lbs/K mix, applied 11 lbs/K every 90 days.

You need also to locate Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", not the easiest to find) and apply it at 2 lbs/K monthly until September.

Phosphorus is at luxury levels.

The Iron is fine.

In the micro's, Boron and Zinc are short - are those in the plan for 2018?

For Nitrogen, I'd use 2 lbs/K of Urea (46-0-0) on the Bermuda monthly in growing season. Make sure to water it in right away, with at least 0.25" of water. If you can't get that down and watered on 27K quickly, then consider Milorganite at bag rate monthly -- but the costs go up and the Bermuda will be slower to react.

bcpa1445

Post by bcpa1445 » May 19th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I’m up for working on the micros. With the medium loam, what do you recommend to help with soil compaction and/or also raising om levels? Top inch or so of soil dries very fast. Should I core aerate and spread peat moss or something?

I’ll work on the rest of the recommendations. Looks like I may have to buy a better spreader! That’s a lot of stuff to put down!

Thank you so much for your help!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » May 19th, 2018, 9:50 pm

A medium loam is what we all dream of - you don't mess with one if you get lucky enough to own one. Leaves, compost or peat moss are good ways to keep it in the zone.

I hate core aeration - it causes far more problems than it fixes.

bcpa1445

Post by bcpa1445 » June 8th, 2018, 5:41 pm

@andy10917

I have a few questions, just for my learning purposes, not to question your expertise.

Why do you recommend Calcitic lime with Epsom salts vs dolomitic lime alone (which contains magnesium already)? I'm assuming the calcium content? Is it the speed at which the effect takes place? Solubility?

What is the difference between spreading separate Nitrogen and SOP vs. something like a 25-0-25 fertilizer?

What types of treatments would you recommend for reducing soil compaction besides aeration?

Between being crazy busy with work and tons of rain, I've got quite the goosegrass problem on my hands with all the bare areas in the Bermuda. Several areas of the yard may need reseeded after I get the soil in a better place.

Thank you for your help Andy.

-Bill

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 8th, 2018, 10:23 pm

Why do you recommend Calcitic lime with Epsom salts vs dolomitic lime alone (which contains magnesium already)? I'm assuming the calcium content? Is it the speed at which the effect takes place? Solubility?
The biggest reason is Speed, and the difference is not minor. Calcitic/Epsom is worked into the soil in 5-8 weeks, while simple dolomitic can take 12-14 months. That means more treatments in a season, and gaps can be used to apply things that react with Calcium. Also, I can up or lower the Ca:Mg ratio.
What is the difference between spreading separate Nitrogen and SOP vs. something like a 25-0-25 fertilizer?
In theory? Nothing. In practice? Very few commercial fertilizers are using Sulfate of Potash - they're depending on a dumb consumer. I've never known anyone that learned how to blend their own ratios that ever went back to commercial products. It's one of the only cheaper/better/faster items in the world.
What types of treatments would you recommend for reducing soil compaction besides aeration?
It depends on the cause of the soil compaction - do you have problems from your herd of cattle, or are you storing you fleet of construction trucks on the lawn? If it's not one of those, than concentrating on your OM, providing proper water and a healthy microherd will make your soil feel "springy" under your feet.

bcpa1445

Post by bcpa1445 » June 25th, 2018, 6:42 pm

Andy,
Is it safe to apply this all at one time and water in? Or should I break it up a few days apart?

Thanks

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » June 26th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I'm not a fan of the all-at-once attitude and approach -- it strikes me as just like the guy that runs outside on Memorial Day with 150 items, and then wonders in September why the lawn looks like the same crap as last year. Again, LAWN CARE IS A MARATHON, and (one man's opinion) the lazy once-a-year slob deserves what he gets.

Gee, does it look like I might have an opinion on this topic? :shock: :shock: