Soil Test Result

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
bdhought
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Soil Test Result

Post by bdhought » September 7th, 2018, 12:20 am

Here is my latest Logan Labs soil test from 8/13/2018 that I'd appreciate comments on. My soil samples were from about 3.5 inches deep

Yard is about 6,500 sq ft in Metro Detroit, Full sun, 100 KBG Blend

For Reference, here is my report from almost 2.5 years ago.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Soil Test Result

Post by andy10917 » September 13th, 2018, 8:59 am

Sorry for the delay - for some reason I thought I was all caught up...

The pH rise is a little surprising, but I think the truth is closer to an average of this and the last soil test. You're actually lucky in the Motor City - soils are typically much higher in pH from Calcium.

That's a heavy soil and that's OK as long as it drains well. The OM numbers are phenomenal.

In the cations, you've got a lot of everything. The notation that your test depth is 3" hides some of the nutrients, even though your test depth was 3.5" - that's OK - I know how to adjust it. The Ca:Mg ratio is nice at around 7:1.

While you can use Urea as a Nitrogen source, the use of Ammonium Sulfate (21-0-0) could have a small pH reducing effect, and you may want to do that if you have the time/effort to find it. It can be used for the Fall Nitrogen Regimen too if you double the application rates used for Urea, as Ammonium Sulfate at 21-0-0 is slightly less than half the nutrient density of Urea. If we think that your 7.2 pH is correct, then I'd alternate Ammonium Sulfate and Milorganite (which has available Iron at higher pH levels) monthly for the April - August applications. During most of the season, Ammonium Sulfate goes down at 5 lbs/K.

The Phosphorus is at luxury levels.

The Iron levels are very good, but if the pH 7.2 is right, it's mostly unavailable. Hence the Milorganite.

In the micro's, all are fine except for Boron. Get Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap and apply at 3 tablespoons/K as directed in the Micronutrient Application Guide, every 60 days.

You're doing OK on the soil, and for Detroit you're doing very well...