Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
rubes1520
Grass Type: Perennial Rye
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Dolomitic or Calcitic

Post by rubes1520 » October 10th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Hi guys,

Let me just say this first, I had a soil test done but it wasn't by Logan Labs.

My question has to do more with the type of lime to use knowing that my calcium to magnesium ratio is about 7:1. My PH level is 5.3. It was recommended that I use dolomitic lime since my magnesium level is low.

I read one of the topics on this site, not sure which one at the moment, that a calcium to magnesium level between 7:1 and 10:1 is good. With that said, should I still apply dolomitic lime?

Thanks!

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Dolomitic or Calcitic

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 10th, 2018, 6:09 pm

At a low pH and a low calcium to magnesium level, dolomitic lime would be a good choice for the lime to use. There is an excellent article written here by Andy on the different types of lime: https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

If I were in your shoes, with a pH of 5.3, and a calcium to magnesium ratio of 7:1, I think it's likely that you're low on both calcium and magnesium. Accordingly, I'd be inclined to make one application of dolomitic lime this fall according to the directions on the bag, and then in the spring, take a soil sample according the the instructions in the sticky post in this forum at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9339 and post it here in this forum for free recommendations by the soil gurus here. (I'm not one of them, though!)

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » October 10th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Dolomitic limes tend to be S-L-O-W. Personally, I'd adjust with Encap and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).

However, without seeing the test results (and it not being from Logan), it's hard to say anything about numbers.

TimmyG
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by TimmyG » October 10th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Or Pennington Fast Acting Lime if you confirm that it has a significant magnesium fraction as discussed here.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 10th, 2018, 11:48 pm

TimmyG wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 11:30 pm
Or Pennington Fast Acting Lime if you confirm that it has a significant magnesium fraction as discussed here.
I'd forgotten all about that thread! Thanks for the reminder, TimmyG! That would be an interesting option to help address the slowness of traditional dolomitic limes that MorpheusPA mentions.

When my lawn was low in both calcium and magnesium, (and tested as such from a Logan Labs test) the remedy was exactly what MorpheusPA said he would do -- namely, a fast-acting calcitic lime and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). I'm very pleased with the results that came about from that.

rubes1520

Post by rubes1520 » October 11th, 2018, 9:35 am

ken-n-nancy wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 6:09 pm
If I were in your shoes, with a pH of 5.3, and a calcium to magnesium ratio of 7:1, I think it's likely that you're low on both calcium and magnesium. Accordingly, I'd be inclined to make one application of dolomitic lime this fall according to the directions on the bag, and then in the spring, take a soil sample according the the instructions in the sticky post in this forum at viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9339 and post it here in this forum for free recommendations by the soil gurus here. (I'm not one of them, though!)
ken-n-nancy - yep, I am indeed low on both calcium and magnesium, though much more on magnesium but within the 7:1 ratio.

I'd say my calcium level is close to normal. The numbers are probably different form Logan Labs but they are in ppm and were tested as: Ca 100.14 Mg 13.91. The recommended range by this lab (Soil Savy) for each is: Ca 90-175 Mg 15-35. By no means am I implying that this is the recommended range for everyone.
MorpheusPA wrote:
October 10th, 2018, 6:37 pm
Dolomitic limes tend to be S-L-O-W. Personally, I'd adjust with Encap and Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate).

However, without seeing the test results (and it not being from Logan), it's hard to say anything about numbers.
MorephusPA - that's an excellent option and I think that's what I will do, use fast acting calcitic lime and supplement it with Epsom salt. If I can't find Encap, I will go with Sta-Green Fast Acting Lime since Lowes has it. I've never applied Epsom salt before but from what I read, most people usually apply about 2lbs of Epsom salt per 1K ft.

Thank you for all your recommendations!

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both

Post by bpgreen » October 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm

Make sure you buy the epsom salt in a garden center or the lawn/garden section of a big box store (or online). The epsom salt sold in the pharmacy section is much more expensive because it's cosmetic grade instead of fertilizer grade.

rubes1520

Post by rubes1520 » October 12th, 2018, 1:25 pm

bpgreen wrote:
October 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm
Make sure you buy the epsom salt in a garden center or the lawn/garden section of a big box store (or online). The epsom salt sold in the pharmacy section is much more expensive because it's cosmetic grade instead of fertilizer grade.
Will do, thank you!