Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Compost timing

Post by Spacklerstyle » February 10th, 2019, 2:07 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for the best time to apply a compost top dressing (goal is to increase OM). In central Texas it’s been unseasonably warm and my dormant Bermuda is already starting to green up a bit. Looks like we’ll have highs in the upper 60s/low 70s for the next 10 days. So my question is whether or not I should apply now, or wait until things really start picking up.

I am a new poster to this forum, but have been reading for months. I do plan to submit a soil test, which I can do right away before it gets busy (I do understand the policy for more seasoned members however)... but from previous soil samples I’ve conducted with the A&M Extension office, OM has been <2% historically.

Thanks in advance.

HoosierLawnGnome
Grass Type: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Compost timing

Post by HoosierLawnGnome » February 16th, 2019, 5:25 pm

If things are awake I'd apply it. The main thing is for it to be warm enough that the micro herd can process it.

Spacklerstyle
Grass Type: Bermuda Tiff 419
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Compost timing

Post by Spacklerstyle » February 19th, 2019, 7:04 pm

HoosierLawnGnome wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 5:25 pm
If things are awake I'd apply it. The main thing is for it to be warm enough that the micro herd can process it.
Thanks, I think I'm going to wait for it to warm up a bit more. We just had a late cold snap hit (for us at least), lows will be in the 40s for the next week or so with day time temps in the mid 60s.

... just eager to get the ball rolling!