Sean's 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
SalemChiro
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Sean's 2019 Soil Test

Post by SalemChiro » April 9th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Zone 1, 2, and 3 are pretty even at 2500 sq/ft each. Goals are to optimize soil for nutrient uptake. I prefer "best" approaches for correction.

Thanks,
Sean

SalemChiro

Re: Sean's 2019 Soil Test

Post by SalemChiro » April 12th, 2019, 10:42 am

This is my first soil test ever taken on this property....and I have to admit, it's my first soil test ever done so this will be an interesting journey trying to correct its deficiencies and monitor my progress. Zone 1 and 2 were over seeded last fall with Super Seed Store SS5000 Sunny mix, Zone 3 with their SS6000 Shady mix. Zone 1 and 2 came in well with the exception near my pine trees in zone 1 where it's very thin. Zone 1 is full sun and really gets fried looking in the heat of the summer. I have irrigation and water, but maybe not enough and probably applying too much N (I've learned now to back off the N in the heat of the summer). Zone 3 is my problem area. It has pine trees bordering two sides and is mostly shady with a little afternoon sun filtering through the pine trees. I've had a difficult time growing grass in that area to fill in the thin areas.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 12th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Wow! Look at how the TEC tracks right along with the OM%. You have a very sandy soil and the only thing keeping it from being worse is the OM. Do I need to say that your attention should be focused on building up the OM? Everything - leaves, compost, and peat moss are the biggest things to concentrate on. You're a walking example of how OM helps...

All zones need Calcium. 9 lbs/K of good calcitic Lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/SoluCal) at 9 lbs/K. In Zome 3, add 2 lbs/K of Epsom Salts.

You'll need Sulfate of Potash (SOP) at 2 lbs/K. It's not the easiest thing to locate.

Phosphorus is good. Iron is low across the board. 2-3 lbs/K of Ferrous Sulfate every 60 days, but not close to a Lime app.

All of the micronutrients are low. Do you want to deal with those in 2019?

For Nitrogen, I'd recommend a trip to Quincy to get a bunch of Bay State fertilizer - it's a Milorganite-equivalent at a quarter of the cost. Get lots and apply at bag rate monthly.

SalemChiro

Post by SalemChiro » April 14th, 2019, 8:17 am

I always bag when mowing, I'll start mulching the leaves instead.

I applied SoluCal w/humic two weeks ago @ 9lb/K...need to pick up Epsom Salts and apply to zone 3.

Can you recommend the best choice (brand) for SOP? I have a few professional nursery centers around that have a huge selection of products.

For iron, is Chelated ok, or stick with Ferrous Sulfate? Also, will applying Milo/BSF help with the low iron reading?

I'll apply Milo/BSF at half bag rate every two weeks.

I just applied an app of Humic acid (Humic 12) and sea kelp (RGS) this weekend. This is my first season trying these....N-Ext Bio-stim products from Green County fert.

I guess I'll jump in the deep end and try to deal with Micros as well.

Andy, thanks for your help!

Andy....thanks for your help!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2019, 8:49 am

Can you recommend the best choice (brand) for SOP? I have a few professional nursery centers around that have a huge selection of products.
Brands don't matter - ingredients do. No-name, brown-bag products of the right ingredients are fine, and can save $$$$$.
For iron, is Chelated ok, or stick with Ferrous Sulfate? Also, will applying Milo/BSF help with the low iron reading?
Chelated is not necessary at your pH, and is expensive. Plain ol' Ferrous Sulfate will work fine. Milo/BSF will help.
I just applied an app of Humic acid (Humic 12) and sea kelp (RGS) this weekend. This is my first season trying these....N-Ext Bio-stim products from Green County fert.
Whatever. Once again, there are no miracles-in-a-bag. Spend your money on good basic nutrients and try to avoid getting caught up in the latest fad - the results will be similar at much lower costs.
I guess I'll jump in the deep end and try to deal with Micros as well.
Get Twenty Mule Team laundry soap from the grocery store, and Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate and Zinc Sulfate from Amazon or EBAY. Apply at 3 tablespoons each every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide.

SalemChiro

Post by SalemChiro » April 15th, 2019, 3:32 pm

How often should the SOP be applied?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 15th, 2019, 7:31 pm

2 lbs/K, monthly

SalemChiro

Post by SalemChiro » April 18th, 2019, 11:17 am

The SOP that I could find locally is Lebanon Country Club MD 0-0-24 with 3% Fe (iron), 2% Mg (Magnesium), 1% Mn (manganese), SOP SGN 80.

Does this product need to be watered in right after application to avoid burning of grass?

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » April 18th, 2019, 8:00 pm

That's clearly not just Sulfate of Potash. I'm wary of offering advice on a fertilizer that I have no idea what else is in it. The app rate also would be higher also, since the product isn't just SOP.

SalemChiro

Post by SalemChiro » October 25th, 2019, 10:26 am

I followed the recommended soil plan for this year. Regarding next years plan, I was wondering if it's best to take a soil sample now in the fall or wait until spring?

The grass definitely looked much better this season. Unfortunately I was hit hard with fungus during the summer, and battling bent grass now in the fall with Tenacity. I need to incorporate preventative measures for fungus next season. A back pack sprayer is on the x-mas list!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » October 25th, 2019, 8:05 pm

Glad the Plan worked out!!

I'd wait to Spring for the test - it gives more time for the recently-applied stuff to integrate.