Josh's 2019 soil test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Josh's 2019 soil test

Post by andy10917 » June 25th, 2019, 8:52 am

There is a bit of competition between Potassium and Calcium/Magnesium for exchange sites, but it's not crazy competition. With your scenario, getting things down is more important that minor skirmishes. Do it.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by southern-ct-4 » June 25th, 2019, 8:57 am

As always, thanks so much!

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » July 8th, 2019, 12:00 pm

Hi again. So I just put down everything I had mention in my last post. Thanks again for the advice on that.

Next question; in looking ahead to next month, I'm able to reseed my large glyphosated spaces around 8/9 (when prodiamine should be wearing off).

I'm due for my next ferrous sulfate app on 7/27, SOP and Milo on 8/5, and 20 mule borax (applied via milo) on 9/4.

How should I coordinate all of this in relation to seeding? Should I skip anything, adjust anything, take a new soil sample in a couple of weeks to see where I'm at...?

On a related note, I was thinking of using starter with tenacity at (or a couple weeks after) seeding. What's your advice on that in general, and in relation to the items coming up just mentioned above.

Thanks!

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 8th, 2019, 12:22 pm

How should I coordinate all of this in relation to seeding? Should I skip anything, adjust anything
Josh, I'm not a big fan of applying significant amounts of nutrients right at the time of seeding - there can be significant (but temporay) pH shifts at the soil surface at and shortly after nutrient application, and that may or may not be harmful to the seed/seedlings. Milo is OK, but for other ingredients I like to make applications two weeks before or four weeks after seeding and emergence.
take a new soil sample in a couple of weeks to see where I'm at...?
No. Unnecessary and wasteful use of your money - there isn't going to be measurable change and it may be misleading to be measuring the unintegrated material you've added to date instead of the real conditions of the soil.
On a related note, I was thinking of using starter with tenacity at (or a couple weeks after) seeding. What's your advice on that in general, and in relation to the items coming up just mentioned above.
You don't need more Phosphorus (the big item in Starter), and seed and early seedlings don't use the Nitrogen well at first. If you have regular Tenacity, it can be spread on bare soil and will work at the same level of effectiveness right at seed-down. If you don't have Tenacity, it's your call on applying Starter ferilizer with Mesotrione solely for the pre-m capabilities. Fertilizer is best applied after the seedlings end the Sprout-And-Pout phase.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » July 8th, 2019, 3:03 pm

Thanks so much and I'm glad I thought to ask!

I will therefore skip/delay any apps that are too close to seeding (aside from Milo).

I'll also skip the starter fert and will instead just use Tenacity at seeding, and will apply Milo (anything else along with or instead of Milo I should use?) after sprout and pout.

Thanks again!

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 14th, 2019, 9:29 am

Question; a friend of mine recently moved from a house to an apartment, and gave me a few bags each of Scotts Green Max (https://www.amazon.com/Scotts-Company-4 ... B0168K8VQK) and Lebanon 18-0-3 (https://www.lebanonturf.com/products/2240410)

Any suggestions on best use for these (given my soil) would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking of just applying them next year at low rates whenever I apply Milo (but not in the summer). Or maybe use some this fall? I'm not really sure but figure I might as well not waste them.

Thank you.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » August 14th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Both are high-Nitrogen, low-K, no-P fertilizers that contain some Iron. Both can be used effectively in the Fall, but there is a difference.

If doing the Fall Nitrogen Regimen "Aggressive" version, the Lebanon stuff is controlled release - and that isn't a great practice when being aggressive - it's nearly impossible to figure out what the remaining amount is from previous applications, when you're hitting it every week.

I'm sure you know how to calculate the application rate by now...

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 15th, 2019, 8:35 am

Thank you. I'm not doing the aggressive regimen due to no built-in irrigation, so no worries there... I'll be doing the Standard regimen.

Thanks again.