HoosierDaddy Spring 2019 Soil Test

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

HoosierDaddy Spring 2019 Soil Test

Post by HoosierDaddy » April 11th, 2019, 10:38 am

I have my test results back from Logan, done with Ammonium Acetate per the prior recommendations. Previous tests are linked below. Fall 2016 saw a reno of the 350SqFt back yard. Fall 2017 was a front reno on 1500SqFt. The back still looks great and is greening up nicely already this year in the full sun. The front reno is still needing TLC but I expect it to fill in well this year.

My goals this year are to maintain the back and continue get the front to fill in. I have a suspected Summer Patch issue on a couple of areas in the back that I am treating proactively with Companion this Spring. If the areas emerge again I will send off a sample to assure I am tackling appropriately.
I mention this here as my reading of the Summer Patch thread mentions low Mn levels as a concern. Micros are in play and I have everything ready to go for them (or will source in short order). Thanks in advance!

Spring 2018 Test:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23646

Spring 2017 Test:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=22066

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: HoosierDaddy Spring 2019 Soil Test

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2019, 9:19 am

Another Indiana soil...

You have a medium Loam (nice!) but the OM% remains poor to mediocre. Attention to OM supplementation would go a long way.

In the cations, Calcium is dominant (no surprise there). There is nothing that you can do about it, but it doesn't prevent a nice lawn, if you're willing to deal with it typing up the Iron. The cations have pushed the pH to 8.1. Potassium needs attention, and Sulfate of Potash ("SOP", not easy to find in all areas). Apply SOP at 2 lbs/K monthly - it remains strongly deficient as it does sometimes with calcareous soils.

Phosphorus is plentiful.

In the micro's, Manganese is quite plentiful. Only Boron is low, and Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide is the answer to addressing that.

For Nitrogen, Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly, or an Ammonium Sulfate fertilizer at a rate that delivers 1 lb/K of Nitrogen monthly, or Milorganite at bag rate monthly will all work -- your choice. Milorganite may help supply some available Iron, or you can play with FAS applications.

Keep hammering on the OM...

HoosierDaddy
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Prosperity/Midnight/Blueberry; Back: Midnight/Prosperity/Blueberry
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Some Experience

Re: HoosierDaddy Spring 2019 Soil Test

Post by HoosierDaddy » April 15th, 2019, 8:58 am

Thanks Andy! Nary a leaf nor blade of grass leaves the yard. I have a sawdust guy that I get a couple times a year. I drop pine pellets once or twice a season. I have a peat moss roller and drop 6 or 7 bales a season. As this season is the first in a long time where I'm not planning from nor "recovering" from a reno I will have plenty of time to focus on OM.

I have the Borax and will source the SOP soon. Milo and FAS are in the house and ready to be applied.

Thanks!