Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
RTM
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

RTM Soil Test - 2019

Post by RTM » April 12th, 2019, 9:36 am

Yard size: 5200 sqft

Grass type: Primarily TTTF and KBG, but some fine fescue too. Pretty much a mutt lawn. I should have done complete renovation years ago. Instead, I killed areas (intentionally and unintentionally before I found ATY) and reseeded with elite KBG. The KBG has spread nicely over the years.

Disease: A few areas with TTTF in my backyard were hit hard by brown patch. I usually regularly apply Serenade, but couldn't keep up last year due to the rain. It was a bummer, but I want my KGB to spread so it will be a win in the long-term.

Routine: I mulch mow using the 1/3 rule and I mow high in the warmer weather. I rarely water, but do when needed. I use a PGR with ammonium ferrous sulfate. I always make sure that drop urea in the late fall.

Progress on last year's advice: I fell slightly behind on borax, iron, and Epsom salt apps, but I applied Mag-i-cal and SOP at the correct intervals. I only applied 4 bags of milo last year, mainly due to the weather and work issues (down from the average of 10-15 32 lb bags per season).

Areas needing improvement: Soil PH has been horrible, with a low of 5.4, but getting better after switching to Mag-i-cal. Working on calcium, iron, borax, potassium, magnesium, and OM.

Overall, the KBG is doing very well. It is still early, but some of the areas that have come to life are denser than I've ever noticed at this time of year. I finally feel like I won a nearly decade long battle versus yellow nutsedge.

Seeing some improvements in my soil test as well as some areas needing improvement. I definitely appreciate the help on the plan!

2018 results: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23762&p=321343&hilit=rtm+2018
2012 and 2015 results: viewtopic.php?forum_uri=soil&t=18426&start=

RTM
Grass Type: TTTF, KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Re: RTM Soil Test - 2019

Post by RTM » April 12th, 2019, 9:47 am

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: RTM Soil Test - 2019

Post by andy10917 » April 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

I see progress! Yeah, there is still room for improvement, but things are headed the right way.

TEC shows a sandy soil, just below the entry point to Loam. Attention to OM (currently mediocre) will help - keep the focus on this.

The Potassium is still a tad low, but this could be the year to close that one out - apply Sulfate of Potash (SOP) at 2 lbs/K monthly. The other cations are OK, and the resulting pH is now actually a little ABOVE the sweet spot (6.5-6.8). No more Lime - overshooting is now a possibility.

Phosphorus is good.

Iron is quite low, and Ferrous Sulfate at 2-3 lbs/K should help, as will Milorganite's Iron if you choose to go that route for your Nitrogen.

In the micro's, only Boron is low. Twenty Mule Team laundry soap at 3 tablespoons/K every 60 days as outlined in the Micronutrient Application Guide is the way to go.

Milorganite at bag rate monthly, or Urea at 2 lbs/K monthly is the plan for Nitrogen. Or alternate them by month.

It's moving!! Nice job.