tph018's Soil Test - April 2019

Learn how improving your soil can lead to a better looking lawn
tph018
Grass Type: Northern Mix (KBG, PRG)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Experienced

tph018's Soil Test - April 2019

Post by tph018 » April 17th, 2019, 12:08 am

Thanks in advance for reviewing my test results and your suggestions, including the addressing of micro's. The attachment also shows the soil test results from the previous four years so you can see the emerging trends.

I do believe the 2018 results were an aberration relative to the recent 2019 results and the pre-2018 results...

Background: I live in Wilton, Connecticut (southwest Connecticut in Fairfield county) on a 2 acre lot of land, of which 1.2 acres represents lawn. I'm on well water and do not irrigate. For nitrogen, I typically apply soybean meal throughout the feeding season except for the winterizer application in which I apply urea. I have been applying micro's now for the past two seasons, in 2017 and 2018.

Here is a link to last year's results and discussion.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=23737

Let me take a guess as to the likely plan of attack for 2019:
1. Apply the "Heavy" rate of calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/Solu-Cal) plus 2 lbs/K Epsom Salts mixed, every 90 days.
2. Also apply 2 lbs/K of Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) monthly until September. Stay away from Lime apps by 2 weeks.
3. Ferrous Sulfate at 3 lbs/K a couple of times 60 days apart.
4. Micro's: Apply 3 tablespoons/K each of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery), Copper Sulfate (EBay/Amazon) and Zinc Sulfate (Ebay/Amazon) as specified in the MIcronutrient Application Guide. Repeat every 60 days.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: tph018's Soil Test - April 2019

Post by andy10917 » April 19th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Let me take a guess as to the likely plan of attack for 2019:
1. Apply the "Heavy" rate of calcitic lime (Encap/Mag-I-Cal/Solu-Cal) plus 2 lbs/K Epsom Salts mixed, every 90 days.
2. Also apply 2 lbs/K of Sulfate of Potash (SOP, 0-0-50) monthly until September. Stay away from Lime apps by 2 weeks.
3. Ferrous Sulfate at 3 lbs/K a couple of times 60 days apart.
4. Micro's: Apply 3 tablespoons/K each of Twenty Mule Team Laundry Soap (grocery), Copper Sulfate (EBay/Amazon) and Zinc Sulfate (Ebay/Amazon) as specified in the MIcronutrient Application Guide. Repeat every 60 days.
Nice try, but no cigar - but we do have some lovely parting gifts. Here's a bag of Poa Trivialis seed!!

1. Lose the Epsom Salts. No need.
2. OK
3. Regularly at 60 days, 2-3 lbs/K
4. I don't know what you're doing with the mcro's, but the amounts I gave you won't come close to those readings - you are clearly overdosing. No Copper, no Zinc.
5. You can ease up a bit on the OM -let's see where it settles in a year.